• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGA Giveaway - Day 1!

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
In order to highlight the new DGA apparel logo and some of this years best new DGA apparel and discs, DGA has teamed up with DGCR for an apparel and disc giveaway.

Have you ever thought about what it would take to get a course in the ground? Would you like to get a course in the ground near you? Here's your chance to hear how people do just that! This is also a chance to share ideas and solutions for helping others get more courses in the ground while winning some sweet DGA gear and plastic!

The DGA Apparel and Disc Giveaway runs for five days and each day there is a question relating to getting disc golf courses in the ground. The best answer gets you a new DGA hat or shirt and one of DGA's latest premium discs! Good luck!

attachment.php

Attachments

• DGCR-Apparel-Splash.jpg
    DGCR-Apparel-Splash.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 306
Today's prizes are a Tracer Cap and an SP Torrent!

We've all thought about it. Whether it's driving down a highway looking at prime land out the side of the car, or when you arrive at a place you frequent often that doesn't have a course.

If you had one place you wanted a new course planted, where would it be and why?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Day1-Tracer-Cap-SP-Torrent.jpg
    Day1-Tracer-Cap-SP-Torrent.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
There is a place near here between Cairo Ill and Cape Girardeau Mo. that has hills/woods/cleared out small odd shaped fields and a pond. I have looked at it on Google maps and it has a great starting hole and a fantastic finishing hole. When it is mowed it already looks like a golf course on 4 or 5 of the holes and all the rest can be in the woods utilizing the pond on at least two shots. Parking would be a problem and keeping it up and cleaned in the woods would be a chore. If I had the money though I think this can be at least a 4 star to 4.5 stars in the DGCR rating system.

Berendonck park,the Netherlands

In the Netherlands you can find baskets at 5 or 6 places but only two courses will leave you satisfied. Especially when you are playing them the first time without a locall. All places will take me over an hours drive at the least before i can throw my first disc.
So come down to it any course would be welcomed in the Netherlands but....

In my direct area there is a park called the Berendonck. Once a year the national tour puts down 12 temporarely baskets. The rest of the year we drag our foldable baket around.
Imagine this big lake, surrounded by sand, then grass, then grass with huge trees and finally forest.
There is some elevation, tunnelshots, leftie holes, water, getting into the woods as well as out of the woods. Everything is possible, even more t pads to one basket.
Plenty of parking right on the course and an outdoorcentre to sit down and bragg.

Of course there is a club that will keep the course in fine shape. I established it myself last year, Bear disc golf, and we have 7 members allready!

www.facebook.com/beardiscgolf

So we have no course in our direct area but a park that meets all the criteria, even a local disc golf club!

This is why I would like a course in The Berendonck park.

Diac golf course

A few years ago there were rumors that an old abandoned ball golf course in Monroe Washington Was going to be converted into a disc golf course. I think that would be the coolest transition. Especially if the golf course was a bit overrun that would result in a tighter fairway. With minimal work we could have a very nice and manageable disc golf course.

@ Lake Brownwood in Texas. Down below the spillway is some rugged, forested terrain which would adapt nicely to a disc golf course.

I was fortunate enough to build an 18 hole course on my Army base in South Korea, so I know we'll the fun and challenge presented when given a not so ideal piece of land. Because of that, I've long dreamed of buying a certain piece of land here in Fountain, CO, right off of Link Road, that has an em me Se amount of trees and a large river running through it. To most, it wouldn't be the most ideal spot for a course. The river is quite wide, there is lots of fallen brush, the trees are too many and too close together...

But these are all challenges I relish. Getting in there and spending a good four months clearing, planning and developing a course that is tough but fair, that anyone can have a good time on. It's close to a major city (Colorado Springs) without being directly in it, and would be the ideal location for a course to get a decent amount of traffic without being too crowded.

Now I just need to work on becoming a millionaire.

My dream piece of land for a disc golf course is in the St. Croix Valley area in Somerset Wisconsin. To be exact the ball golf course at St. Croix National would be ideal and the most fun I could ever see having. The land is very hilly and beautiful. Most holes have huge elevation drops in the 50-100+ foot range making for exciting long throws. Not much would need to be done to host a disc golf tournament there. Ride in a cart so you don't have to walk up all those hills. Here are some pictures below.

http://www.scngolf.com/golf-course/picture-gallery

I'm in the planning stages of getting a course put in Poteau, Ok. There is a set of 9 portable baskets on the college campus but no real courses in a town of 10K+. We have several really nice parks that could easily hold 9-18 holes and I am reaching out to a local resort about building an 18 hole course that would be publicly accessible.

My goal is for several small non-profits in the area to hold a series of fundraisers that can help the local players raise the money needed rather than approaching the city with an expensive plan that would surely be shot down. I also plan to continue upkeep on the course by opening a small "pro shop/19th hole" that sells an assortment of discs, bags, drinks and snacks.

Still to date there are very few DG courses in the south Charlotte NC region. Would love to see a course, even a 9 hole in Pineville NC.

When driving through the Rocky Mountains, I've always thought how epic it would be to design a course playing through the mountains. With all of the elevation, there are so many possibilities for fun and unique holes! Another idea I have thought about is a course in a corn field. The course would have a "Corn Maze" type of design, and you could cut the holes out any way you choose! Holes could be technical, with large corn stalks lining the fairway. Or there could be holes mixed in with wide open fairways, after clearing slot of corn. I know it sounds crazy, but I think it would turn out pretty neat!

There was also a ball golf course that went up for sale a couple years ago here in Ohio. This old course is scenic and played through rolling hills and a large creek. With all the elevation changes, it would make an epic piece of land for disc golf. The "Course" would be more like a complex, because you could easily fit three, 18 hole disc golf courses on this piece of property. Here is a link about the course, which they are now thinking of converting into a park:
http://medinagazette.northcoastnow....-consider-buying-former-golf-course-for-park/

I love how a big piece of these posts are people who registered just to post in this thread.

Just north of Atlanta there is a brand new sports park that is privately owned and they are installing all top of te line facilities for Baseball, Volleyball, Golf, Wakeboarding, Soccer and Football.

They have tons oh hilly wooded surplus land on the boarder of their facility that would be perfect for a course and allow Alatoona Lake to come into play as well.

They have the funding and land to make an amazing pay to play course that could draw tons of locals, and even national tournament events. I have been in discussion with them... I hope we can make something happen.

I think anything in the west valley in Phoenix would be nice. There is one course, but it is in a drainage canal and has little to no shade. There is a park in Peoria on 111th ave just south of Olive Ave that has a large undeveloped area across the street that has some elevation changes and looks like a large enough area for at least a 9 hole desert course.

Collins Park, Toledo, OH. Home to a 9 hole municipal golf course and some baseball diamonds. I used to look at this park as a prime location because it had plenty of extra room, trees and open space. There was a portion in the back of the park that had 2 rows of trees that would have been PERFECT for a tunnel shot. Alas, they removed all of those trees, so I've since dropped this potential course from my wishlist. Because of ONE potential hole :|

There's a large, unused portion of WI in the Kettle Moraine State Forest that is just unbelievably ideal for disc golf. It's rolling hills through heavy woods and plains. Aaron Hills golf course (home of upcoming major PGA championships) was put in the same forest. I live near Rollin' Ridge, and a course just south of there could yield even bigger and better courses. It would also fill the void between Sheboygan/Fond du Lac/West Bend.

It truly amazes me that there isn't any courses in that area.

If I was trying to get a course put in public land, it would be Shawnee State Park, about twenty minutes or so from where I live. LOTS of land available, much of it not used by hikers or campers. There is NOTHING between Ashland and Chillicothe, so there is a HUGE dead spot on the map. LOTS of discable land there.

I would love to see more small courses on school property. Getting more kids involved at young ages would be awesome for the sport!

I would like to see a course go on on the land that my employer owns. There is a nearby business that has an 18 hole course for employees, friends, and family. This would be a great opportunity to grow the sport for younger people without having to deal with the crowded local courses. I'm all about growing the sport.

Latest posts