• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGA Giveaway - Day 1!

Columbia, SC

I know that I'm already spoiled in Columbia, SC, with plenty of great places to play. But I've been on wooded trails around CIU (a small, private college) that would make for an amazing course. I can imagine tight fairways and hook shots, uphill/downhill shots, and long open drives. There's even a large pond to play around. It would have the potential to be one of the most varied courses in the region. There has been talk for years of students hoping to get a course started, but the administration hasn't bought into the idea....

Pinson Mounds state park in TN
Pinson_mounds_museum_1.jpg
13977-pinson-neg2561_600.jpg

I'd like to see the Great Blue Heron course in Norwalk, Ohio expanded. Approval was given to an additional 18 holes about two years ago. A local avid disc golfer stepped up to pledge the baskets and tee pads (existing tee pad design is awesome). Unfortunately, he was in an accident and lost his job. So, a good course that can be a great course goes unfinished.

There is a place near here between Cairo Ill and Cape Girardeau Mo. that has hills/woods/cleared out small odd shaped fields and a pond. I have looked at it on Google maps and it has a great starting hole and a fantastic finishing hole. When it is mowed it already looks like a golf course on 4 or 5 of the holes and all the rest can be in the woods utilizing the pond on at least two shots. Parking would be a problem and keeping it up and cleaned in the woods would be a chore. If I had the money though I think this can be at least a 4 star to 4.5 stars in the DGCR rating system.

I think you are talking about Scott City Community Park, 8 miles south of Cape Girardeau, just finished a tournament and got 2nd, I really enjoy the course.

The place i would like to set a course is at my college. The city park course is great and all, but too many people and it's a bit of a squeeze. I want to have a course on campus to help spread the game and use a portion of campus that is vacant all year round. Hope to get the college's disc golf club involved to make it a success

There is a place near my house that has a really good mix of elevation and woods and open shots. I have even planned a few holes in my head. there is a 1000' downhill shot that the basket would be in the woods and everything else is open field. I am unsure if there is a lake but that would be the icing on the cake. Water, woods, elevation and fields.

Much like another gentlemen has said (AndyJB), I too have spent a fair amount of time pairing overseas locations with disc golfing. I've lived on or near military instillations in Asia/Europe and finding courses is always a daunting task, especially in Asia. Disc golf courses on military bases overseas are a great recreational way to bring Americans together, as well as improve relationships with the local nationals.

There's currently not a whole lot of American/Military involvement within the disc golf scene here, so I decided to change that. I've created a local base club to teach beginners the fundamentals with hopes of also attracting some more experienced players. There are plenty of open fields learn the craft, the only thing missing is a course. My wife and I have created a safari course that we've been using for the last few months that would look pretty snazzy with a few baskets.

I'm always imagining disc golf holes wherever I go. I even think about how cool it would be to convert an abandoned warehouse into an indoor course for year round enjoyment and excellent handicap access.

The Ellington Agricultural Center in Nashville, TN is the place where, whenever I drive through it, I imagine all the ways the land can be converted into a beautiful course, filled with diversity.

It already has a parking lot and permanent outdoor restrooms. It also has nature trails that see very few visitors. And, with the elevation and woods, it is an area that will never see any competition for the use of the land. It's also positioned close to three elementary schools and a middle school.

Nashville is in need of another course to accommodate the growing disc golf community, and Ellington Agricultural Center is a ideal course location.

http://www.tn.gov/agriculture/general/agcenter.shtml

My college that I went to (butler county community college) is set on what used to be a golf course. It has a lot of rolling hills and wide open bombs. As well as a lot of wooded areas around the school. It would be great activity for the clubs/classes there.

When I was in school, i always wanted to take some discs out and chuck them down the hill

Busiek State Forest and Wildife Area in southwest MO.
Has sweet elevation, heavy woods, and meadows along with creeks and streams.

Buffaloe Road Athletic Park in Raleigh, NC. There are only 2 quality courses in Raleigh, they stay busy most of the prime playing times. This park facility has little league fields, softball fields, a track/football field and indoor pool.
There seems to be plenty of available space around these existing facilities without interfering with their activities. Plus there is plenty of wooded property not being used, with a lot of elevation change leading down to the scenic Neuse River and its 33 mile greenway trail. It would be awesome to even put in a hole across this 150' wide river.
Open space for long holes, wooded holes, elevation change, a great place for a course in an underserved DG town.

the abandoned Six Flags Jazzland New Orleans, La.

1+(6).jpg

just think of the lines and the tee boxes and pin placements....

My answer is a little odd, but I would want Dublin Ohio's nice nine hole, Balgriffin, expanded to 18 holes. Dublin owns a lot of land and could easily put another nine in just passed the tree line that is ine boundary of the current course.
The reason why this would be great are two fold.
One, Balgriffin is right on a major roadway and is seen by thousands of people every week. Some of them try the sport and then get hooked based on this course alone.
Two, it could be a slightly more advanced course to encourage people to step up their game from 150 ft pitch holes to 250-400 foot holes before headjng out to the many full sized courses around town.

The original course was built by an Eagle scout, and I am sure he would love to see the place filled out to 18 holes!

Edgewood Park in New Haven, CT. I love city courses and I would love to have a course in my city without having to drive to the suburbs. Plus, the neighborhood where the park is located is known as a tough neighborhood but it's turning around. A disc golf course would be an amenity to the park that would help make the neighborhood a better place to live and visit.

Humboldt Park in Milwaukee, WI. Every time I go there I see lines through the trees that would make for great holes. It is a busy park but I think a nine-hole course would fit perfectly and still be safe. It would do a lot for exposure in the Bay View area of MKE, an area that I think would be very receptive of disc golf.

Arigatou gozaimasu! The hat will defiantly help with my peacocking around base. Thanks for the disc as well.

My answer

The place that I most want a course installed is in Heaven, so I can play after I'm dead. I imagine there's probably one there already, but this one I could make all my own baby!!