• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT- 2018 Discraft Great Lakes Open

With PP, CA, and VJ all not there I would guess Ragna is almost assured of a top 3 finish, and wouldn't be shocked if she wins. It will probably be either Ragna, Weese, or Bjerkaas.

Had a chance to chat with Ragna when she was in town a few years back. She wasn't a fan of the Toboggan because it has "too many blind holes." :\
... but apparently, she's coming back for more.

I don't know how you'd design a championship caliber course that doesnt involve quite a few blind holes - to make you hit a window, and really shape and hold a line over a distance. Who wants a bunch of 400+ ft holes that are minor variations on straight shots through a bunch of trees?

I'm sure it's changed a bit in the 12+ years since I last played Toboggan, but I don't recall a lot of blind holes. I recall multi-shot holes (particularly for the FPO skill set) where the basket wasn't necessarily visible from the tee but I wouldn't call those "blind" holes. Seems like an odd criticism of a course, especially one that is sure to be well staffed with spotters to alleviate any concern about losing discs in "blind" spots.

I'm sure it's changed a bit in the 12+ years since I last played Toboggan, but I don't recall a lot of blind holes. I recall multi-shot holes (particularly for the FPO skill set) where the basket wasn't necessarily visible from the tee but I wouldn't call those "blind" holes. Seems like an odd criticism of a course, especially one that is sure to be well staffed with spotters to alleviate any concern about losing discs in "blind" spots.

I think this is pretty accurate. Most of the holes, not visible from the tee pad, are multi shot. Hitting a landing zone is at a premium on many holes here.

It indeed has gone through a lot of changes, JC. A handful of years ago they pulled out all of the invasive Russian Olive bushes and really opened up the course. BUT.....now the native underbrush and shule is grown in very well. They have moved a couple tee pads, lengthened a couple holes and move a pin or two. They really carved out some ancillary paths to next tees, improved the tee pads considerably this year as well. It should be a nice test for the pros and some fantastic video.

With PP, CA, and VJ all not there I would guess Ragna is almost assured of a top 3 finish, and wouldn't be shocked if she wins. It will probably be either Ragna, Weese, or Bjerkaas.

I thought that the Doss's were signed up. Might be mistaken, or their plans perhaps changed.

Meh, it's just Simon, Eagle and Ricky...the field still looks strong.

and Doss, Sexton, Kolling, Anthon, Philo, Bradley Williams,James Conrad...

Surprised Nat Doss is missing this event, his disc sponsor is in Michigan. Others not so much like Rick, Eagle, Simon all have the company they are sponsored by in Sweden/Scandinavia with headquarters for Discmania and more for Latitude 64. Now with those players it makes sense for them to be over near the factories and or company design/headquarters for company. Nate Doss it seems odd. A bit for the Innova players too but the Innova players might have decided to play the Swedish events over one sponsored by rival company Discraft, same for Discmania players with Innova being the parent company. Paul McBeth may have decided to skip the Europe play due to being able to clean house at Tobogan course and win the PT event with a number of the top players gone, then fly over to do the Konapiste Open and have to get ready faster then those who have been in Europe for a week before and get ready in 5-6 days for Konapiste Open.

Now Females have a chance to win and since Page Pierce and Cat winning all the PT and NT events being the current female versions of Ken Climo.

Last edited:
I bummed that Doss won't be at this event as well. Part of it is that I just like watching him play, but part of that was a hope that Bevel would be teaming up with Michigan brewery to make a beer for the event. Michigan would've been a perfect place for that kind of project.

Devan Owens is in Finland, so at least one off the waitlist should get in. In fact, if any of the media members see this post, they need to tell him, Jerm and Ricky to get their names off the event lists they aren't going to be playing in the next few weeks...

Last edited:
Fan vote is live.

And Madison has been playing some great golf this year. She almost caught Sarah at Majestic this last weekend! I'd call her a contender at DGLO.

Discraft's Great Lakes Open is the place to be this weekend. If you cannot make it out to the event, make plans to watch live starting at 2 PM ET for shot-by-shot FPO coverage and 3:15 PM ET for live MPO coverage.
Looks like they're going to keep this format going...

I'll be pulling for the Motor City Chain Gang's own: Krystal Fromm.
To know her, is to like her. :thmbup:

We (wife and I) will be at Kensington tomorrow to watch in person. Planning to follow the lead card in the afternoon, but will likely just pick a hole and watch all the cards come through in the late morning / early afternoon. Any suggestions on a hole that is great for spectator viewing?

Latest posts