• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT- 2018 Discraft Great Lakes Open

Congrats to your FPO and MPO winners:

Sarah Hokom looked powerful and finished -8. And Paul McBeth with -11, -18, -11 rounds to total -40 needs no words...

Is this the same layout used when David Wiggins Jr. won USADGC? I recall people being stunned at his -20 on Toboggan and the fact that he won by 10 strokes, including over an up and comer named Ricky Wysocki. Paul's -18 in one round makes them look like amateurs. ;)

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/9646#Advanced

I lucked out today! They asked me to follow the FPO lead card and do the live scoring for Udisc... so I had a ringside seat for that. :)

Then they asked if I'd do crowd control for the MPO lead card. It was so cool getting to hear the players interact... Paul and Nikko were talking about their different strategies for hole 5. I literally was just a few feet behind both lead cards the whole way. :D

As great as some of the video coverage is, it just doesn't do the pro game justice. If you ever have a chance to watch touring pros play in your town, jump the hell all over it. Got to shake hands with Nikko, Paul, Feldie, James Conrad, and Sarah Hokom. Feldie is all class, and personally thanked me. So did Sarah.

It was so cool watching how the players interact and truly supported each other. There was a stretch of holes where Nikko struggled for a bit, and finally hit a big birdie putt, the gallery roared and high fives from card mates. So very glad I was right there to see and hear it all. If you see a short guy wearing a grey Boonie hat and red STAFF shirt in some of the video coverage, that'd be me.

Last edited:
Is this the same layout used when David Wiggins Jr. won USADGC? I recall people being stunned at his -20 on Toboggan and the fact that he won by 10 strokes, including over an up and comer named Ricky Wysocki. Paul's -18 in one round makes them look like amateurs. ;)

I am almost positive, that this specific (longer) layout for the men's has never been used before. Same for the shorter FPO layout. Untill today, I didn't realise how many new tees they put in. They added nine new tees just for this event, all in the past few days. This layout wasn't there for USADGC a month ago.

Last time we had touring Pros play here, I think Ricky shot a 51. Paul shredded that, and on a longer layout to boot.

Last edited:
As great as some of the video coverage is, it just doesn't do the pro game justice. If you ever have a chance to watch touring pros play in your town, jump the hell all over it.

Well said.
When they get done, you'll wonder if they are even playing the same game...
Always a treat to see the Pros play your home course, and show you what is possible.

It was great to be on the amateur side all week, and the pro side was also great to experience. I hope this is a mainstay on tour!

It was great to be on the amateur side all week, and the pro side was also great to experience. I hope this is a mainstay on tour!
Congrats on finishing second in your division! Impressive considering you hadn't even seen these courses until Friday, and most of the locals have played 26 of the 36 holes dozens of times.

Sorry we didn't have the opportunity to play a round together, but it was a pleasure to meet you and your brother.

I think if they get to keep this event a tour stop, they need to give it a bit more teeth. Don't get me wrong, it is an amazing course already but there a few things I think that can be done without getting ridiculous with OBs and mandos.

How close is the tee on #3 to where the basket is on 2? It seems that the basket could be moved quite a bit to either the right or left to make it a tougher approach shot. If they just want to turn it into a par4, I could live with just that, but if they want to keep it a par5, they need to lengthen it somehow. Also on no3, I think there should be an OB divider with no13's(I think?) fairway. Letting the players bail out there on purpose like paul did round 2, shouldn't be rewarded. There are a couple holes like that at Smugs that use that type of OB very well.

I'll might come up with another or two after I watch some more vids...

Last edited:

I am almost positive, that this specific (longer) layout for the men's has never been used before. Same for the shorter FPO layout. Untill today, I didn't realise how many new tees they put in. They added nine new tees just for this event, all in the past few days. This layout wasn't there for USADGC a month ago.

Last time we had touring Pros play here, I think Ricky shot a 51. Paul shredded that, and on a longer layout to boot.

The biggest difference in the course was in 2013 when the Metropark's removed the invasive Russian Olives. Before RO removal if you got off the fairway on many holes you were trying a pitch back to the fairway. Now, you might have a bush/tree to deal with, but most of the time its just tall grass or a slope. The RO really changed the look and how a lot of the course played especially holes 4, 6 through 12, 15 and 16. If you look at hole 15 today and got off the cut grass imagine 5-6 ft tall bushes everywhere and that is what that hole use to look like.

Most of the early years of the USADGC the course didn't change much. Eventually hole 4 and 10 became longer with new pin placements (after RO removal?). Those two pin changes have been in place for years. This years changes were pretty big in adding a number of even longer teepads (old ones became the shorts for FPO) on #4, #9, #11, and #13. And, then adding shorts for the FPO on some of the longer par 4/5 holes.

I think if they get to keep this event a tour stop, they need to give it a bit more teeth. Don't get me wrong, it is an amazing course already but there a few things I think that can be done without getting ridiculous with OBs and mandos.

How close is the tee on #3 to where the basket is on 2? It seems that the basket could be moved quite a bit to either the right or left to make it a tougher approach shot. If they just want to turn it into a par4, I could live with just that, but if they want to keep it a par5, they need to lengthen it somehow. Also on no3, I think there should be an OB divider with no13's(I think?) fairway. Letting the players bail out there on purpose like paul did round 2, shouldn't be rewarded. There are a couple holes like that at Smugs that use that type of OB very well.

I'll might come up with another or two after I watch some more vids...

The back9 is pretty solid, Paul was just on fire. The one hole that had the half circle keen wall around the pin, is that actually OB? If not, that could be a place to add a tooth.

Hole17, maybe could add some OB there. Like have the two strips of short grass play safe?

Like I said, its already an amazing course, it just needs a bit more bite to it for the top level of players, imo.
Do they play the 2meter rule?

Do they play the 2meter rule?

I asked this because there are a couple shots on the course where you can go over the top. I don't really think mandos should be used to deter them but maybe a couple hole specific 2 meters just to give that shot some risk?