• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: Approved Baskets for the Pro Tour

DGPT

Par Member
approved-baskets-dgpt-900x316.jpg

Read the article on the DGPT website.

The Disc Golf Pro Tour is committed to providing the best disc golf tournaments in the world. Along these lines, we worked with the touring pros to determine what baskets were the most fair for tournament play. It was determined that the DGPT basket approval process would entail two steps. First, the basket must meet the requirements for the PDGA's Championship level baskets. Second, the basket must be approved as consistent and fair by more than 3/4 of the Touring Pros that vote.

The following four baskets (listed alphabetically) are approved for play during the 2017 Pro Tour season:
  • DGA Mach X
  • Dynamic Discs Veteran
  • Innova Discatcher Pro 28
  • Prodigy Pro Basket
Other baskets are under consideration and will be tested during the season. We look forward to an exciting season in 2017 and are proud that every course will have baskets that are PDGA tested and Player approved.

Also unclear if Innova is phasing out the Pro 28 for the new Pro 24 just approved.

Notably absent is the Discraft Chainstar which is used for Ledgestone.

It looks like the approved baskets all have 10" cages where the Chainstar is only 7". The deeper cages seem to be choice for pro level baskets, so the Chainstar is due for an update/redesign. If I were polled I'd have left the Chainstar off the list too.

I've seen chainstars with the same deep three ring basket as the mach x I think. That's what they have up at rapscallion.

It's interesting that this could be the issue for which they would decline a tournament's affiliation over. I mean, if an event has the funding, venue, and interest in joining the tour, and fits in the tour routing, but uses older courses that have good baskets, just not DGPT-approved, they're going to be told to replace all their baskets, or "Thanks, but no thanks"?

It's interesting that this could be the issue for which they would decline a tournament's affiliation over. I mean, if an event has the funding, venue, and interest in joining the tour, and fits in the tour routing, but uses older courses that have good baskets, just not DGPT-approved, they're going to be told to replace all their baskets, or "Thanks, but no thanks"?

I know the designer and TD for one of the tour events and they both said that they would happily change out their baskets, even if it's just for the tournament, but it might become their permanent baskets so it can be a stop next year too