• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Sold to Todd Rainwater

Yabbadabba doo!!!!!!!

Just saw this on Facebook. Wonder if it had to do with all of the problems DGPT had this year, or if this is a sign of growth and setting sights higher.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/disc...-named-tour-director/2412637422161258?sfns=mo

Jeffersonville, VT, August 27, 2019 / Effective immediately, the Disc Golf Pro Tour has been purchased by a new ownership group. Majority owner, Todd Rainwater, has hired Jeff Spring to lead the DGPT as CEO and Tour Director.

Mr. Rainwater is the owner and developer of Nantucket Disc Golf, formerly a minority owner of the DGPT, and a strong supporter of the development of professional disc golf. Spring is an experienced tournament director and course designer, having developed one of the preeminent disc golf destinations in the world at Smugglers' Notch Resort in Vermont. Smugglers' has hosted two PDGA majors in the last year as well as serving as the home of the annual Green Mountain Championship DGPT event. Spring will remain in his role at Smugglers' through October 1, 2019 overseeing the 2019 Green Mountain Championship and will continue oversight of the disc golf operations at Smugglers' through a transitional period.

In regards to the purchase, Mr. Rainwater comments that "we'd like to thank the former ownership group, Disc Golf USA, especially outgoing Tour Director Steve Dodge, for their development of the DGPT to this point. We look forward to growing the vision that Steve has established." Mr. Spring comments, "I'm thankful to Smugglers' Notch Resort for the opportunity to establish and grow several new endeavors during my time at the Resort. I look forward to continued collaboration with what is a wonderful organization in the years to come."

The Disc Golf Pro Tour will be providing an update on plans moving forward shortly. We are excited to be working collaboratively with the PDGA on 2020 planning and look forward to sharing more soon.

Mr. Spring will be available for interviews throughout the week, beginning with an appearance on Smashboxx's Tuesday evening podcast, starting at 9pm Central. For more information or to schedule interviews, please contact Jeff Spring at [email protected].

DGPT has been purchased by Todd Rainwater, owner and developer of Nantucket Disc Golf and has named Jeff Spring to lead the DGPT as CEO and Tour Director

Headline: Disc Golf Pro Tour purchased by Todd Rainwater, Jeff Spring Named Tour Director

Jeffersonville, VT, August 27, 2019 / Effective immediately, the Disc Golf Pro Tour has been purchased by a new ownership group. Majority owner, Todd Rainwater, has hired Jeff Spring to lead the DGPT as CEO and Tour Director.

Mr. Rainwater is the owner and developer of Nantucket Disc Golf, formerly a minority owner of the DGPT, and a strong supporter of the development of professional disc golf. Spring is an experienced tournament director and course designer, having developed one of the preeminent disc golf destinations in the world at Smugglers' Notch Resort in Vermont. Smugglers' has hosted two PDGA majors in the last year as well as serving as the home of the annual Green Mountain Championship DGPT event. Spring will remain in his role at Smugglers' through October 1, 2019 overseeing the 2019 Green Mountain Championship and will continue oversight of the disc golf operations at Smugglers' through a transitional period.

In regards to the purchase, Mr. Rainwater comments that "we'd like to thank the former ownership group, Disc Golf USA, especially outgoing Tour Director Steve Dodge, for their development of the DGPT to this point. We look forward to growing the vision that Steve has established." Mr. Spring comments, "I'm thankful to Smugglers' Notch Resort for the opportunity to establish and grow several new endeavors during my time at the Resort. I look forward to continued collaboration with what is a wonderful organization in the years to come."

The Disc Golf Pro Tour will be providing an update on plans moving forward shortly. We are excited to be working collaboratively with the PDGA on 2020 planning and look forward to sharing more soon.

Headline: Disc Golf Pro Tour purchased by Todd Rainwater, Jeff Spring Named Tour Director

Very interesting

I think this is a good move overall for the DGPT going forward. I don't think Dodge was well equipped to run and develop a tour effectively in this era.

Steve's always struck me as someone who loves to get balls rolling but once they're moving, he's content to let someone else take over and move on to another ball. He's a start-up guy, not a "I'm going to only do this now" kind of guy. I think it was inevitable that he'd hand the DGPT off as well.

I don't think it's that he was ill-equipped or that he or the tour were in any sort of trouble. I imagine this was part of the plan all along...maybe not the timing necessarily, but the act itself.

Whoa, didn't see that coming.

FYI, this is the BILLIONAIRE Todd Rainwater. Holy smokes. Disc golf's been asking for a big time investor. Well, this is pretty big folks. Google him. It's that Todd Rainwater, son of Richard Rainwater.

FYI, this is the BILLIONAIRE Todd Rainwater. Holy smokes. Disc golf's been asking for a big time investor. Well, this is pretty big folks. Google him. It's that Todd Rainwater, son of Richard Rainwater.

This is gonna be interesting. I wonder how much he is willing to invest.

I know it's semantics when you are talking the levels of money this family has. But is Todd actually a billionaire? Richard I saw was estimated to be worth 2 billion and donated a lot of his estate to charity and research. But I see little mention of the kids - unless I overlooked something. I'm sure he's not hurting by any means and has a huge backing behind him. Excited to see what this added investment brings to the sport!

Augusta National member Darla Moore's stepson?

Given how transparent Dodge has been about the DGPT trying to get to that break even point I'm glad someone with a bank roll (assuming that's true) is involved. Risk!

I know it's semantics when you are talking the levels of money this family has. But is Todd actually a billionaire? Richard I saw was estimated to be worth 2 billion and donated a lot of his estate to charity and research. But I see little mention of the kids - unless I overlooked something. I'm sure he's not hurting by any means and has a huge backing behind him. Excited to see what this added investment brings to the sport!

I don't know if he is a billionaire but his brother listed his net worth as $30 million in a divorce filing from 2003

I think this is a good move overall for the DGPT going forward. I don't think Dodge was well equipped to run and develop a tour effectively in this era.

Details may not be his strong point, like staying current.

I was following my buddy at the DGPT Jonesboro Open and another player on the card didn't make an OB ditch carry. The player asked the group about taking a lie further back than 1 meter in line with the basket, as per the new rule.

As it happened, Steve was riding by in a golf cart and a player asked him about the lie. In his defense, Steve's first words were I am not the tournament director but you get 1 meter from where it went out. Sorry wrong but Steve appeared very convincing and the player chose to pitch out instead of looking up the rule or playing a provisional to go over the top of the OB ditch trees.

It seems to me Steve has helped more than he's hurt, c'est la vie except if it messes with my internet friends like Ian, C'mon man don't be dumb.

I knew this was inevitable. Dodge had the vision but just not enough business savvy to pull it off. Does anyone knew the financial status/worth of Nantucket Disc Golf? It's probably a good thing to have the tour sold to someone already in the biz, but if it's back to square one in regards to financial backing, not sure how that pans out. "As The Disc Golf World Turns......."

I knew this was inevitable. Dodge had the vision but just not enough business savvy to pull it off. Does anyone knew the financial status/worth of Nantucket Disc Golf? It's probably a good thing to have the tour sold to someone already in the biz, but if it's back to square one in regards to financial backing, not sure how that pans out. "As The Disc Golf World Turns......."

Todd Rainwater has deep pockets. He also has connections which I hope he can tap into.

Latest posts