• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dicks sporting goods, goodbye innova

Awkward Accountant

Bogey Member
While visiting DSG today, I noticed that innova has been replaced with Dynamic Discs. Some really nice ones that competitive players would actually bag may I add.

With innova losing most of its major pro players, now being replaced in retail stores, and their molds are becoming less popular, is this the beginning of the end for innova?

While House of Discs acquisition of Dynamic Discs and putting Trilogy and Kastaplast under one production and marketing giant is a huge step forward in them gaining a larger retail foothold and market share, I do not think it's indicative of "the end" for Innova. And while I am not a personal fan of Innova, they still hold a massive majority in the disc golf market from Discs, to Baskets, to well known and loved events (and own the rights to USDGC). I do expect all manufacturers to feel the sting of the Covid disc golf bubble popping however. Innova is probably the best positioned to absorb that sting due to its notability and large market share.

If Innova stops being available at Walmart then one might start to wonder.

The real question though is how is the disc sale market actually divided in terms of the buyers reason for purchasing? What percentage of disc sales come from:
- Starter packs or other initial discs for brand new noobs
- Building an initial bag/disc experimentation for people who want to progress on from starter discs
- Experimentation with discs once you have gotten past the initial buying of discs
- Replacement of discs which are lost or get to beat in
- Tour series or other discs to support a pro player
- Player packs for tournaments, etc.
- Cool stamp or dye jobs

Starter packs and other big chain retail purchases aren't likely to make up a huge chunk of overall disc buying, I wouldn't think. However the first discs you buy might bias you towards a certain brand.

One view point on Innova....when I started in disc golf (2019), I was trying to learn as much as I could. The people I knew threw all kinds of different brands. Some people were even sponsored in one way or another. Everyone had their favorite brand. But one thing I kept hearing from people who didn't throw Innova (or very little of it) was pretty much...."for starting out, I suggest you get a couple of Innova discs. You can get Innova anywhere, but you can't always find brand X. Learn how to throw and then figure out what brand has the discs that work best for you." My friends let me try their non-Innova discs and some would try to convert me to "their brand". But I started with Innova, moved to majority of Discraft, moved to majority of DGA, moved to majority of Kastaplast, and now throw mainly MVP/Axiom. Once I really started playing and throwing, my bag has never been a 'one brand' bag - a 'mostly one brand' bag....but some mixture.

That all said, I don't believe Innova will ever go away....in fact, I would predict it would be the last brand standing if disc golf started to go extinct.

((Big 5 Sports still mainly sells Innova)).

The last time I went to Dick's Sporting Goods I saw them selling Innova Star discs for $21+. There's no way I'm paying that much unless it's at a locally owned shop. I can easily pick up one at an online disc retailer or factory second shop for much less.

Last time I was at DSG, they still had plenty of Innova.

Probably just the local/regional purchasing manager in your area having a preference.

Yea im not sure. Last summer that same DSG had only innova. All aviars, roc3, corvettes and what not. Then today i saw it was dynamic discs.

It was all Innova at our local Dicks last week, but Academy has both Innova and DD. About 50/50 split. Innova may not have all the cards anymore but still have tons of followers and are many peoples gateway drug.

I imagine that DSG store/department managers have a bit of discretionary power with some of the items on their shelves. (depending on what the corporate buyers order) It's not like it's dollar general and they just get what comes on the truck.

While visiting DSG today, I noticed that innova has been replaced with Dynamic Discs. Some really nice ones that competitive players would actually bag may I add.

With innova losing most of its major pro players, now being replaced in retail stores, and their molds are becoming less popular, is this the beginning of the end for innova?
Hardly. Just sounds like you live someplace where a new sales person got a hold of a manager and took over an account for what is basically a once a year drop.

Hardly. Just sounds like you live someplace where a new sales person got a hold of a manager and took over an account for what is basically a once a year drop.

I checked online. They still sell innova starter packs and other innova products. They are selling dynamic discs now too. Which i dont believe was the case last year.

Latest posts