• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

difference: drivers & fairway drivers

whats the difference?

Drivers are for long shorts usually off the tee.

Fairway drivers are more controllable than regular drivers, and are used for shorter shots, and more control shots like in tight fairways.

I am sure someone can expand better than I can.

fd's-slower, more predictable, less dramatic

beat one in, no homo, and it can be used for line drives through the woods, rollers and all sorts of neat stuff

Fairway drivers are more accurate and easier to throw far, especially for beginners. High speed drivers generally require excellent technique and power to fly correct and only add a few feet. The Teebird has been used on some of the longest throws ever recorded. If I could only have two discs faster than a midrange, it'd be a Teebird and TL.

If you look at the discs, a distance driver will have a longer wing (edge). It'll slice the air better but it takes more skill and power to make it go where you want. When you try throwing something that's too fast for you your control suffers.

If you look at the discs, a distance driver will have a longer wing (edge). It'll slice the air better but it takes more skill and power to make it go where you want. When you try throwing something that's too fast for you your control suffers.

Boy, I know thats right. That is why my Boss is on the shelf.

They aren't really techcnical terms so you'll get a variety of answers. I consider "fairway" drivers (I say fairway driver a lot, but control driver is probably a better term) to be discs in the speed 6 and 7 range on Innova's flight rating scale. Most of them were distance drivers when they came out. I consider anything faster (i.e. with a wider rim) to be a distance driver. The slower drivers are easier to control and less nose angle and speed sensitive. They're the drivers you probably should be reaching for most of the time if you aren't throwing a mid or putter. Distance drivers don't normally get thrown that often in a round.

I would agree with garublador as far as what is a fairway driver (speed 6-7) and distance driver (speed 8+).

This is more of an answer to what you should do with the 2 types of discs, but I would say that fairway drivers are discs you're going to use when you can't reach the hole with your longest mid, but you can still reach the hole. I would suggest to ONLY use a distance driver when you can't possibly reach the hole without your maximum drive.

i don't know the difference anymore since my Surge flies straighter than a TL - supposed to be the other way around.

Thanks for the info, I really needed to hear that! I've have been driving with my Wraith and Sidewinder. I feel like I've been putting a LOT of effort into my drives! I think I've just discovered the reason why, after reading this. I guess next time I'll be reaching for my Leopard or my Viper! I must say, I was really starting to enjoy throwing my Beast! So, downsize a bit for now, learn my control, then start working my way back up to the distance drivers. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!

I think best way to describe it is in terms of speed......the slower speed discs don t take as much reckless power to throw up to speed...so they will fly straighter with less power....so you can feasibly throw a leopard with toned down power and thus more precision...works for fairways or more controlled shots. If your throwing a high speed driver with low arm speed its gonna fade too fast and never go straight....if you wind up and throw with tons of power you are liable to lose control due to thrower/player error. Only the pros can really break out the boss on tight woods holes....knowing your discs...knowing your limitations....shows you know disc golf!

There's no difference, it's a conspiracy perpetrated by the Man!

There's no difference, it's a conspiracy perpetrated by the Man!

Agreed they are all drivers...just a matter of knowing how and when to use each. Ive noticed a blending of drivers mid ranges ....what is a Viper what is a whippet? and more recently of midrange to putter..Dart anyone!

Thanks for the info, I really needed to hear that! I've have been driving with my Wraith and Sidewinder. I feel like I've been putting a LOT of effort into my drives! I think I've just discovered the reason why, after reading this. I guess next time I'll be reaching for my Leopard or my Viper! I must say, I was really starting to enjoy throwing my Beast! So, downsize a bit for now, learn my control, then start working my way back up to the distance drivers. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!

Is a Sidewinder in the Driver category then or is it in the fairway category? Im thinking it is just barely in the driver category.

Is a Sidewinder in the Driver category then or is it in the fairway category? Im thinking it is just barely in the driver category.
sidewinder is def a distance driver, understable. Takes a bit of control to use properly. i love mine but it has gotten away from me many a time as it just anhy'd and rolled into the woods