• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Difference in air pressure causing nose up flight?

I'm nearly convinced OP is a troll.

Swears it is absolutely not form, then says he is not ruling form problems out. No acknowledgement of the change in position.

Between that kind of stuff and saying Page Pierce is rounding, it is hard to take anything said as being in good faith.

Who said Paige Pierce is rounding?

It could be my form, I'm not ruling anything out.

It's your form.

_

This thread is hilarious and perfectly exemplifies how difficult it is to teach/learn a physical movement on the internet. You have to be a self starter, self aware, and humble. I thought I was so good at disc golf when I started playing. Even commented things here and on reddit that were blatantly wrong for a long time before I fully understood everything. Everyone does it, and making a fool of yourself is part of learning. Even now I'm having epiphanies of understanding that seem so unbelievably simple it baffles me that it took 3-4 years of pretty dedicated study to get there.

It's a process. The sooner you realize you're a spec of dust with garbage form, the faster you're going to get better.

Post a video or continue talking in circles, your choice, but there's plenty of good information here for you to act on already.

It's your form.

_

This thread is hilarious and perfectly exemplifies how difficult it is to teach/learn a physical movement on the internet. You have to be a self starter, self aware, and humble. I thought I was so good at disc golf when I started playing. Even commented things here and on reddit that were blatantly wrong for a long time before I fully understood everything. Everyone does it, and making a fool of yourself is part of learning. Even now I'm having epiphanies of understanding that seem so unbelievably simple it baffles me that it took 3-4 years of pretty dedicated study to get there.

It's a process. The sooner you realize you're a spec of dust with garbage form, the faster you're going to get better.

Post a video or continue talking in circles, your choice, but there's plenty of good information here for you to act on already.

So, I think I may have figured out what's going on. I was out throwing again this morning. It was one of my better practices. I was getting my discs out past 300 feet on average, lots of 305-320 with a max distance of 367 feet. Then that same swirly breeze picked up like before and the discs instantly lost 50-75 on distance. So I began trying different angles and and heights.
You know those times when you get a disc really low to the grass and it rides nose up, kind of like it's surfing on the tips of the grass and it goes another 100-150 feet? Well, I think it's a mixture of that and a low pressure in a pocket just above that. I was noticing while throwing the different heights that the disc was getting pushed down into the ground, like you get throwing in a tailwind. But then, right after it gets pushed down sufficiently the nose comes up and it's as if it hits a different pocket of air and then surfs through on that pressure for another 50 feet or so.

The cause every time though was the disc getting pushed down/sucked down initially, losing several feet very quickly, then hitting a pressure pocket and evening back out but in process the nose comes up and then it just loses velocity hittibg too much air under the disc causing the loss of distance.

Yeah, it's not form. I'm pretty sure of that. Form wouldn't cause a disc to suddenly drop 4 feet halfway through its flight and then the nose cone up just above the ground. That's what the wind and air pressures do.

Last edited:
So, I think I may have figured out what's going on. I was out throwing again this morning. It was one of my better practices. I was getting my discs out past 300 feet on average, lots of 305-320 with a max distance of 367 feet. Then that same swirly breeze picked up like before and the discs instantly lost 50-75 on distance. So I began trying different angles and and heights.
You know those times when you get a disc really low to the grass and it rides nose up, kind of like it's surfing on the tips of the grass and it goes another 100-150 feet? Well, I think it's a mixture of that and a low pressure in a pocket just above that. I was noticing while throwing the different heights that the disc was getting pushed down into the ground, like you get throwing in a tailwind. But then, right after it gets pushed down sufficiently the nose comes up and it's as if it hits a different pocket of air and then surfs through on that pressure for another 50 feet or so.

The cause every time though was the disc getting pushed down/sucked down initially, losing several feet very quickly, then hitting a pressure pocket and evening back out but in process the nose comes up and then it just loses velocity hittibg too much air under the disc causing the loss of distance.

Yeah, it's not form. I'm pretty sure of that. Form wouldn't cause a disc to suddenly drop 4 feet halfway through its flight and then the nose cone up just above the ground. That's what the wind and air pressures do.

You are funny.

Good luck with your air pockets.

It's your form.

You're hitting an iron leaf. You need to work on your accuracy.

You guys aren't any help. Thanks.

Like many things, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle: some amount of form issues, and some amount of environmental effects.

The only way to sort out the form question is to post a video. If you want to get a definitive answer, then video will help.

The effects of posting a video:
1) If your form is good, then you will know it is the wind, and can adjust accordingly by learning how to throw in various windy conditions. Also, people will stop telling you it is your form.
2) If your form needs work, then you will get the specific issues identified and can work on them before they get too ingrained. You were so concerned about drills teaching different movements and deviating from committing correct throwing mechanics to muscle memory. If so, wouldn't you want to make sure you correct any possible form flaws before you commit them to muscle memory?

Seems like so much upside to posting a video. The only downside is that if it actually is a form issue then maybe your pride will take a hit.

Like many things, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle: some amount of form issues, and some amount of environmental effects.

The only way to sort out the form question is to post a video. If you want to get a definitive answer, then video will help.

The effects of posting a video:
1) If your form is good, then you will know it is the wind, and can adjust accordingly by learning how to throw in various windy conditions. Also, people will stop telling you it is your form.
2) If your form needs work, then you will get the specific issues identified and can work on them before they get too ingrained. You were so concerned about drills teaching different movements and deviating from committing correct throwing mechanics to muscle memory. If so, wouldn't you want to make sure you correct any possible form flaws before you commit them to muscle memory?

Seems like so much upside to posting a video. The only downside is that if it actually is a form issue then maybe your pride will take a hit.
I don't have a clue as to how to post videos.

Seems like the typical way is:

1) Make the video. Smartphone, camera, whatever you got. If using your phone, turn it sideways. Some other tips here: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126516 but this is the filming part:
2. Best Filming Practices:

- Keep camera stationary from start through followthrough/finish. Make sure to frame your whole body in the shot from feet to head. Do not cut off the finish!

- Film horizontal/landscape camera angle - Turn your phone sideways! Vertical/portrait camera angles suck! Widescreen was created for a reason - use it.

- Filming Angles - film from directly behind the tee and directly from the side of the tee you are facing during the throw. Two 90 degree 2-D camera angles allow you to better triangulate your 3-D balance. So much information is missing with only one camera angle. It is best if the camera is set at height between your navel and nips while standing upright. The more camera angles the merrier, but the others are not quite as useful. However if you can film from directly overhead/birdeye with a drone or from tree/roof of car - that is also very useful.

- Film Speed - It is best to include normal speed and slow mo, or high frame rate such as 240fps is best.

These are "best practices" but again, work with whatever you got.

2) Put the video up on somewhere like youtube (I'll go with youtube for the next step, and you can put your videos up as unlisted videos so it won't be fully public, only seen by those who have the link/address)

3) Post the video in the form analysis section of this forum. If on youtube, then look up at the address bar; at the end of the url it will say "watch?v=" with a bunch of letters and numbers after the "="

Copy and paste these letters and numbers between youtube video tags, like this:

[ youtube ]copied letters and numbers go here[ /youtube ]

(take out the spaces before and after the brackets, so it looks like:

Last edited:

You have just described "the Air Bounce".

Do you have a smart phone? Can you take video with it?

Download the YouTube app. Make a new channel. Add the video to channel and post a link to it here. It can be a non-public video so people won't stumble on it from elsewhere.

You have just described "the Air Bounce".

The effect is similar, only that the air currents themselves cause the air bounce after most of its flight. It doesn't really bounce back up though but seems to ride on a cushion of air. The throw starts out normal, flies for 200 feet then it drops, nose comes up, then seems to ride a cushion of air nose up then die and crash into the ground.

The effect is similar, only that the air currents themselves cause the air bounce after most of its flight. It doesn't really bounce back up though but seems to ride on a cushion of air. The throw starts out normal, flies for 200 feet then it drops, nose comes up, then seems to ride a cushion of air nose up then die and crash into the ground.

Film yourself throwing from behind so we can see the flight as well.

Your disc is being massively affected by wind in specific directions because something about your form is causing you to throw nose up. My money is on rounding and/or not fully shifting to the front foot. Only way to know for sure is to see video.

I'm being dismissive about your in-depth analysis of air pockets because... I don't care about that I guess.

Film yourself throwing from behind so we can see the flight as well.

Your disc is being massively affected by wind in specific directions because something about your form is causing you to throw nose up. My money is on rounding and/or not fully shifting to the front foot. Only way to know for sure is to see video.

I'm being dismissive about your in-depth analysis of air pockets because... I don't care about that I guess.

I will try to figure this video thing out. It's definitely not nose up out of the hand and my weight is fully shifting. No rounding either. It's not just any wind, it's this particular wind that only occasionally happens.

Form

Seriously, dude, not trying to pile on here, or harass you, but what you're describing here is order(s) of magnitude more likely to be a form issue than anything else.

Believe me, I get it, it stings to have your form ripped apart, especially if you think it's good, you've had success with it, and can even be more so if you've sunk some serious time and work into developing it. But, post a video when you can, and the community can tell you for sure.

I'm pretty sure just like a bird riding thermals....

He's finding different thermal currents in different sections of where he's throwing...the warmer areas of the park give his disc lift. The cooler sections cause it to lose glide.

Pretty sure it's that rather than his form.

Seriously, dude, not trying to pile on here, or harass you, but what you're describing here is order(s) of magnitude more likely to be a form issue than anything else.

Believe me, I get it, it stings to have your form ripped apart, especially if you think it's good, you've had success with it, and can even be more so if you've sunk some serious time and work into developing it. But, post a video when you can, and the community can tell you for sure.

So, tell me, what incorrect form causes a disc, more than halfway through its flight lose height really fast and come nose up?

So, tell me, what incorrect form causes a disc, more than halfway through its flight lose height really fast and come nose up?

I know it seems like an easy question that should have a straight forward answer.
My first post in the forums (maybe second after an intro) was similar. One disc is doing this another is doing that what is the cause?

I was so put off and frustrated with the lack of answers. I just wanted a simple straight forward answer "oh disc flys like this you need to fix whatever"

Problem is there are so many variables that go into. Throw it is literally impossible to answer this question without seeing how you are throwing together with you letting people know what the disc did in that throw. And even then it could be a list of subtle things that contribute to the flight being different than desired.

Latest posts