• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Difference in throws with different plastics

Alexd83

I was recently throwing a DX Destroyer and was loving it, threw my farthest disc ever. I lost it tho. Now I want to get another but I want to get a better quality one like champion or star. Am I going to get the same performance out of it or is it going to be different being a different plastic even if they are the same weight? Also, is pro plastic good? Like is it significantly better than DX? I want the performance I got from the dx destroyer but want plastic that won't tear up so easily.

In my experience, champ will fly more overstable with a little less glide than DX. Also I've found that the faster the disc, the more pronounced the difference will be. I've never thrown pro but I hear it's a lot like Millennium, a little more rugged than DX. I like it for it's grip. Given that I've only one encounter with star, I found it a lot like champ. HTH

I've noticed differences in the build from what I've seen. I have a Star Destroyer that is extremely flat, and insanely overstable. I also have a Pro Destroyer with a nice high dome that is quite a bit less oversable. So I would look at the dome itself of the plastic itself, and wonder how that will influence the flight.

p.s. I've noticed the same thing with my 2 Katana's...the star is pancake flat and insanely overstable, while the pro is very domey, understable, and glides forever.

I'm honestly getting to the point where I don't mess with Star plastic anymore because, as you see frequently on this site, they are so ridiculously overstable.

I get this with the super-fast plastics, but even things like Star Leopards are just meathooks when they're new. Sure, they beat into a little less stable disc with time (less time than champ) but I am losing patience with discs not being what they're supposed to be.

It seems like older discs, like my Eagle, teebird and shark there is a significant difference between DX and Star/Champ. Newer disc though seem to have less of a difference. I've never messed with the destroyer though so I'm just talking generalities.

I like Pro plastic and while it lasts longer than DX is won't last forever. But even my most beat Pro disc is still usable I just find myself adding some hyzer to it to compensate.

I'd say there are a couple of options though. You could buy 3-4 DX destroyers and cycle them which doesn't have to be too expensive if you grab X-outs. Or you could pick another mold which is naturally less stable in a premium plastic, say like a Wraith or a Surge.

Dx Destroyers are kinda domey, but in the middle in the Destroyer family stabilty range.
A Pro Destroyer will probably turn more for you, especially since it breaks in quickly.
A new Star disc in the same weight will probably be closest to your Dx in terms of flight, but be careful not to get the new lightweight , stabilized version, those are bricks.
A Champion model will probably be the one that takes the longest to beat in, but it will stay closest to the flight path of your Dx disc over time, and last much longer.