• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Differing opinion?

tmahan

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Do you you vote a TD for a review where you don't agree with the reviewers opinion of a course? For example, someone posted a dissenting review for my home home course saying a bunch of the new holes were 'tree hacks'. While 'tightly wooded fairways' may have been more descriptive I can't dispute his assertion that they are woods holes.

How about if you don't agree with the rating? I know this happens for the the Top Ten courses but say there's a course that you believe is a 4 and someone gives it a 3?

Personally, I don't in either case, these are subjective judgements and for my part, I make my play/don't play decisons based on review text first and ratings second. The only thing that would tempt me to give a thumb down would be a flat out inaccuracy and I would probably email the submitter and state my case and encourage them to reconsider first.

Only in extreme cases

Rating disagreement very rarely plays in my decision on my voting on a review - usually I don't even look at the rating. I suppose if it were a course I had played (key point #1) and I and the bulk of the reviewers gave it an average rating with little deviation amongst us (key point #2), then a rating way out there (2+ away) would be misleading, which I think is closely related to unhelpful.

IMHO it's a wrong to vote thumbs down just because you don't agree with the rating or the review, especially if it's your home course.

Too many times we fall in love with our "home" course and become really peaved if someone rates it badly when, in that person's mind, he may not have liked the course for any number of reasons.

You have to put aside your pride in the course and see if the review actually says something about the course and could help someone when they go to play there. If it does, then it doesn't deserve a thumbs down. It may not deserve a thumbs up, but it wouldn't deserve a thumbs down.

I only give negative votes for inaccurate reviews when they're just totally out of touch with reality. A course that I think is a 2.5 and someone else thinks is a 3.5 is just a difference of opinion, I'll still vote positive if it's a well written and informative review. On the other hand, if it's a review that says it's the best course ever and rates it a 5 and I thought it was a pretty poor course, I will thumb that down as I think that's pretty unhelpful.

I'm harder on my home courses than the vast majority of people so if someone says something completely BS in my opinion, I'm taking him down.

I don't read reviews....don't write reviews anymore...... people should play and then make a decission if they liked it....pictures are more helpful to me......

I think with the number of courses available these days the reviews would be quite useful to the traveler. This site came around 10-15 years too late for me. I used to travel on business fairly frequently, a site like this could have saved me from a few near wastes of time. There weren't so many courses back then so I probably would have hit them anyway but you get the point.;)

I never vote according to the rating. I vote helpful if the written review has helpful information, period. Too many people out there vote according to the rating and it's pretty irrelevant when you get down to it. I don't have a big arm, so short technical courses are probably a bit more fun to play for me, so in some cases they might get a higher rating than someone who can throw 400'. The ratings are opinions, the review is where we should make up our minds when it comes to voting. How many times do you think that has been said?

^I agree, my vote has nothing to do with their actual rating, I was voting on if the review was helpful. You know, like it says: "2 of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you?" It isn't asking about your opinion on the rating.

I'm with roadtripstuff on this one. If it's helpful then I have to vote it as helpful. Don't let your "homer" feeling get in the way of what someone else thinks of your home course.

Latest posts