• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Difficult hole help

fountg

Par Member
difficulthole_zps9c1458f7.jpg

Need help with this hole. Its kills my score and Ive almost lost discs 4 times now on it. The square is the Tee pad, the brown circles are trees, the black circle is the basket. The problem lies in the green. The darker green is a tree line thats 'un-playthrough-able' Its too thick, you HAVE to go around it. The lighter green is slightly more forgiving, you could potentially shoot out of it if you had too. The problem is with trying to get around the darker section if you anhyzer at all you can pretty much kiss your disc adios. They don't do any maintenence on that part of the treeline at all and I spent an hour the other day looking for a bright disc probably only ten feet in. On the other hand, the way the basket is set up, if you drive off to the left to avoid the trees, theres not a clean shot, your pretty much doomed to hit a tree. The only 'perfect' way to play the hole is a perfect anhyzer around the tree line but its daunting to even try because of the risk involved. Any tips? or any way to get a RHBH to anhyzer farther out? (mine always want to turn in at about 100 feet on anny throws) The distance is something like 230 I believe.

Have you tried powering down a neutral to overstable driver or mid on an anny. Give it enough to turn early, but as it slows closer to the basket it will fade back left away from the trouble.

Well I dont get enough distance on my anny, and I end up in the treeline unless I play it safe and try to soft shoot around the first small bump in the treeline. I just hate to add a stroke just to get around that small obstacle. Ive gotten some lucky shots to hyzer within the trees to the left and played from there, but its tough to not hit a tree going that way, you can tell it wasnt exactly designed to be played like that.

Yeah, looks like a gentle flex shot. Very difficult for some people for some reason. Definitely not an anhyzer, not the way it's pictured on that map anyway. Practice the shot until you get it or accept that the hole is beyond your skill range and just play it for the easiest 3 you can. Pitch up straight to the trees ahead then pitch up again to the basket and take your 3 and save a stroke and a potentially lost disc.

To answer your other question, try throwing your anhyzer forward instead of just spinning around forcing an anhyzer. A lot of people really focus on anhyzer release and crank on their disc and it goes straight right out of their hand....Try directing the energy forward, as if you were throwing a straight shot, but release the disc with an anhyzer angle.

This probably comes down to your technique(or lack of) and disc selection. I'd probably BH my putter on slight hyzer and let it flip up and turn over a little. It's hard to tell from the drawing, but there might be a high route over the trees with a BH or an overhand route with a thumber or tomahawk, or a better roller route.

This probably comes down to your technique(or lack of) and disc selection. I'd probably BH my putter on slight hyzer and let it flip up and turn over a little. It's hard to tell from the drawing, but there might be a high route over the trees with a BH or an overhand route with a thumber or tomahawk, or a better roller route.

Haha yeah I know its not the best drawing, no you cant get over the trees, its a treeline of full grown trees with brush spread throughout. (hence the losing of discs just right inside the treeline)

updated_zps5d6a5278.jpg

Updated to show the flight paths Im usually getting.

Any chance for a thumber over the trees and let it drop down?

Last edited:
I'd be tempted to throw a fh roller. It might not flip every once in a while, but that would put you in the light green, not the dark.

No chance of going over the trees whatsover, its actually just a slightly uphill shot not much maybe a 5 degree slope, but the trees are tall. I never thought about just trying to throw a roller around it, at least that way if I strayed right it would just bump off the treeline. I think part of the challenge is psychological, It seems like I have a close call with losing a disc at least once a day I play this course, and I almost gave up on a disc the other day after looking for so long.

Go to an open field and imagine the hole in front of you; no trees to lose discs in, so you can try different things, and be aggressive and confident.

Have you tried a tomahawk to the left of the darkgreen trees with something flippy? It should pan to the right when it is upside down. Then crash on top of the bucket once it finished panning.

I think I would anhyzer a slightly overstable putter and have it fade back to the pin. Putters are easier to put on anny lines, and easier to control in general. And the added bonus of the putter is that if you hit a tree, it won't fly bounce as far off a tree as a driver or even a mid would.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Im probably going back out to that course Thursday, So i'll try a few things and we will see how it goes.

I'd just lay up twice and take a three. At my skill level most people will get a 4 or 5 trying to get a 2 so I'll make up a stroke even if I don't get a birdie.

I agrees with the putter drive for control and accuracy. Do not over fight a nemesis hole. Make the goal a peaceful three.

I have a hole similar to that on my home course, and I had similar problems. I started throwing a backhand roller with my Star Dart an have eliminated all the danger in the dozen or so rounds I used it in. It doesn't always get me an easy putt, but it always gives me a chance. I practice the shot in a field quite a few times before using it in a round of course.

It seems that any anny line is pretty much out for you, as your posts lead me to believe you don't have much faith in that throw.

An option to play for par would be to rip a drive to the left of the tree clump, hopefully pass them, then approach and putt.

No real chance for birdie, but possibly keep you from double bogeys.

Personally, this looks like a shot perfect for my Ion on a slight anny to come back into a fade just at the hole. Good luck!

I actually played SEVERAL holes like this over the weekend. A regular Buzzz (not ss) was the tool and worked great. I threw it with a slight anny, and it flew in a long s pattern. I would take the others advice, set up a few flags, etc, in a field and work on those s patterns, anny's, etc, etc. Since you want a slight fade back to the left at the end, I wouldn't use a understable disc. Putters, Buzzz, should do the trick. Try every disc in your bag so you can see how it is affected by your technique.

Latest posts