• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dion Arlyn 360 smash

burdphil

Eagle Member
Just watched CCDG's awesome new in the bag vid with Dion Arlyn at Milo McIver and was pretty floored by this shot...

https://youtu.be/0hhSA97miOs?t=543

Absolutely parks that island (with no skip off the road) where I believe they put the basket for the Beaver State Fling? Isn't that right? Anybody know how far that is? I wonder if he'll be going for that in the tournament...

When he competed at the Bluegrass Open a few years ago (his first A-tier win), he put his drive on hole 1 at Idlewild pin high and 25' left for an easy deuce putt. The man has an absolute cannon and the accuracy to match. I wouldn't be surprised if he went for it.

That hole is 555' a little bit downhill. I've been spectating at the BSF since 2012 and the only person I've seen come close to doing that is Garrett Gurthie(he flew the island and took a 3p). The hard part about that shot is having to throw it without the aid of an anhyzer since there's very little room to shape the shot. Absolutely ridiculous shot by Dion. With that being said I doubt he goes for it in the tournament.

CCDG has a ton of Milo footage from Worlds, and I never saw anybody go for it.

I wish I had the wing span of an orangutan too.

I have never tried a BH on that hole, usually try to take the anny to Fade FH line, but if I could throw like that why not!? The dude can bomb. And a Force isn't exactly flippy either.

In the video footage from Worlds no one went for it. Not even Simon Lizotte. At most they were driving as close to the end of the fairway as possible to have an over the road putt at it.

Also, he went for it with a Hurricane, then a few shots later he threw the end of the fairway layup with a Force. That's the shot that most big throwers will play.

A Hurricane isn't exactly flippy either.

It seemed like you could go for it, and not really risk being in the road much. 360 drives aren't really competitive round approved, though.

That hole is 555' a little bit downhill. I've been spectating at the BSF since 2012 and the only person I've seen come close to doing that is Garrett Gurthie(he flew the island and took a 3p). The hard part about that shot is having to throw it without the aid of an anhyzer since there's very little room to shape the shot. Absolutely ridiculous shot by Dion. With that being said I doubt he goes for it in the tournament.

Seriously? That throw was 550'?

A Hurricane isn't exactly flippy either.

a fresh SP Jon Baldwin sig Hurricane is comparable to a fresh, beefy Destroyer in stability IMO ... when I threw Hurricanes, I used one for my most overstable slot

... of course Arlyn's Hurricane might be beat-in some, but probably not that much with the power he can/does throw with

I played in a group right behind him, Nate Sexton, Collin Sexton, and one other guy in a 4 person best shot tournament at Timber. It was a treat. Watching those guys go for shots with wreckless abandon was ridiculous. Dion parked the telephone tower hole with a huge roller. Just nuts.

When he competed at the Bluegrass Open a few years ago (his first A-tier win), he put his drive on hole 1 at Idlewild pin high and 25' left for an easy deuce putt. The man has an absolute cannon and the accuracy to match. I wouldn't be surprised if he went for it.

Whoa! That's one I'm happy to four and ecstatic to three! What was his shot there? Hyzer bomb? I have to make a huge roller happen and then follow with a nice approach to even put me in birdie range...

Whoa! That's one I'm happy to four and ecstatic to three! What was his shot there? Hyzer bomb? I have to make a huge roller happen and then follow with a nice approach to even put me in birdie range...

It was a hyzer flip. I believe he threw a Force. It just stood up to flat and held the line for much longer than seemed humanly possible. The rest of his cardmates (Avery, Doss, and Matt Blakely) drove the same distance, but he was the only one with a putt inside the circle, and he was the only one on the card to get a 2.

I have the benefit of having local knowledge, but a 3 on 1 is pretty simple, if you have 300' of accurate distance. The downhill slope on the right side of the fairway is really helpful in getting you to a place where you have a chance to have an open line to the basket.

Last edited:
I played in a group right behind him, Nate Sexton, Collin Sexton, and one other guy in a 4 person best shot tournament at Timber. It was a treat. Watching those guys go for shots with wreckless abandon was ridiculous. Dion parked the telephone tower hole with a huge roller. Just nuts.

Wow. That's ridiculous.

This guy has a Discraft distance clinic video...good info on grip, windup, acceleration, release, and follow-through. My backhand game has been trying to catch up with my forehand shots for a few years now. Dion makes it easy to understand and breaks down his backhand in slow motion. It's definitely worth a watch. I feel like some field work will be in order this weekend...

This guy has a Discraft distance clinic video...good info on grip, windup, acceleration, release, and follow-through. My backhand game has been trying to catch up with my forehand shots for a few years now. Dion makes it easy to understand and breaks down his backhand in slow motion. It's definitely worth a watch. I feel like some field work will be in order this weekend...

He teaches some form of martial arts on the side (I think Tae Kwan Do) so he is good at explaining the breakdown of how to use your body. He's done some clinics locally. I've yet to make it to one, but I hear they're really good.