• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Addiction

I cashed in alot of AM tournaments this year and ended up with stacks of plastic.

Now I am thinning it down to discs I throw and collectibles.

Its not really a problem when you compare how expensive the other hobbies are that you would have spent even more money on

I've started feeling the need to collect discs too, not really sure why. I always said I would only buy the discs I needed (or thought I needed), but now I buy (or trade) for at least a couple of discs a month. I know that isn't a lot, but it's the fact that I really don't need them, but just keep buying or trading anyway, addiction is probably the word i'm looking for...:D

I'm starting to slow down now that my bag is almost complete (well, complete for my level right now). I'll still buy if I spot a good deal on E-bay but that's about it.

Imagine if you were a ball golfer? A few hundred bucks per club. Disc Golf is a
bargain.

This is why I'm allowed to get away with playing as much DG as I do. My wife knows about the THOUSANDS of dollars my father-in-law spends on ball golf every year so she's been pretty OK with tolerating my disc purchases.

I keep finding excuses to buy more, Got lots of duplicates of everything I throw at 175G. Now I am finding I like throwing 170-168 better, got to start all over, buy more, buy more!

I keep finding excuses to buy more, Got lots of duplicates of everything I throw at 175G. Now I am finding I like throwing 170-168 better, got to start all over, buy more, buy more!

That was alot of my disc buying as well, changing weights. I started out with wrong stuff, settled on 167-168 for everything, then went to 172 for mids, 175 for putters. Then 170-172 for fairways, now max weight for mids, putters, and fairways. Plus trying different models and plastics. Trading away what I don't want anymore and getting 4-8 of each disc I do like for backups, practice, etc. plus a stock of some of the harder to find discs...

Total is about 120 right now, will prune that back a bit yet. I've probably sold and traded away another 60.

Its not really a problem when you compare how expensive the other hobbies are that you would have spent even more money on

LOL! That's what I tell my wife when I come home with a new $15 disc. She just took up running last year and has spent a lot more than I have. It is great that she runs, but new $120 running shoes every 6 mo, wicking clothes (pants, shirts, hats, socks, underwear), & registration fees for races simply does not compare to the 25 discs I currently own.

I leveled out for a long time, because we had one course and all you really need is a driver and a putter. but once we got another, and I actually started to get a life again I've been playing more. Which means my purchasing has gone up as well. I've got 14 and 3 collectibles and I've lost 6 this year.

Ive been playing for less than a year and I have 150+ discs. Plus I have sold close to 300 on ebay in the last 5 months.

when you have that many discs, how can you tell which are good, how each flies and the use for each?

isnt that "disc overload"?

I say this because i've cut down my collection to the 14 i have (and carry) and am always looking to downsize and eliminate overlapping discs.

* technically i have 16, 1 sidewinder (made obsolete this week by a katana and existing SL) and a TBird (replaced this week by a star and heavier)... i will keep these in my car and gift them when appropriate.

Latest posts