• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] disc consistency

34blast

Bogey Member
Hope this is the correct place. I've only thrown DX plastic until 6 months ago. I quickly found out that champion plastic is much more stable and durable than DX. I found a couple of star discs in the pond not to long ago. 1 was a Star Tern 167 the other was a Star TL 175. I threw them a bit durning my round and loved them. I thought they had the best feel every. So when I get done with the round I notice phone numbers on the bottom. I'm a nice guy and called the people who got back their discs.

So I like them so much that I buy 2 terns in star 167 and 2 TLs in star 175. I take the TL out the first time and pretty good disc. It flies straight with a little bit of fade. As bad luck would have it I lost it. SO next week, I go to the backup, the disc in the same weight and plastic flies completely different. It flies straight but has a huge fade, like a wraith. I kept thinking I was just throwing it different, but it had a ton more fade on every single throw that day. I also noted the 1 Tern I tried was much more stable than the one I had found and returned.

So my question is, is this normal? Do two discs with same flight plastic and weight behave differently like that? Or should they throw the same after some break in period? I found the first TL to be excellent and long straight woods shots, but the second one with the huge fade just won't work.

There are a lot of factors. I've found inconsistency for multitude of reasons. Were both the same colors as well? Did you check to see if both had a similar dome?

Also the ones you found in the pond had been used, what kind of condition were they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So my question is, is this normal? Do two discs with same flight plastic and weight behave differently like that?

In a word: "yes". The only consistency is inconsistency. Not trying to disparage the manufacturers, as they're making THOUSANDS of discs per run and temperatures alone can provide variations.

First off, thanks for returning those frisbees:thmbup:

To me, older broken in discs are WAY more valuable. I've probably thrown them for a while and know how they will fly in a number of wind and shot situations. The more experience I have with them, the more confident I am with them, the more confident I am with them odds are I'll be more relaxed and thus more likely to execute the shot. Also, every new disc is going to beat into a slightly different flight pattern as they age. In your case with the new premium plastic, it will season and stay in that "sweet spot" flight for a long time i.e. that returned used TL now goes straight with little to no fade.

Others are right about how every disc, even of the same mold, are slightly different but we can all hope that discs of the same mold should eventually age and season throughout their hucking lifespan to have similar overlapping flight characteristics. Many find this beneficial as a disc of the same mold should feel similar in your hand but as no two discs fly exactly the same, this difference allows for consistence releases yielding different results.

I'd bet the biggest difference you are seeing right now from the discs you randomly found on the course to the new discs of the same mold you recently bought is their age. Keep throwing them and eventually they will be similar to the discs you found.

Good luck and be warned that many here and in the real world will suggest tons of discs that will cover the exact same flight lines, trick is to throw all your buddy's discs and find the flights you want without having to buy and beat in new Frisbees in hopes that they work:wall::D

So much is dependent on the source plastic runs, how hot the molds are injected at and how long they cool ( the color of the plasic changes how fast they cool as well as time to release). If the molds do not have a mechanical release, how the disc is pulled manually (the plastic may not be fully cooled when pulled) will also affect the mold.

MVP gets their plastic direct(their fathers company does major molding for auto manufacturers), their plastic seemed to be much more consistent....until they decided to change plastic flexibility without announcing it between runs. :mad:

For max consistency, go MVP/Axiom or Discraft/DGA.

Millennium have the run marked on their discs. I haven't thrown many of their discs, but what I have heard, as long as one stays inside the same run, they are very consistent as well.

Mint is putting serial numbers on their discs. It has more information than just the run. I like the idea, but they are a new company, we will have to wait and see how they do.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies, I will read up on break in and deflashing to see how to get them to throw a bit more consistent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if humidity or Barometric pressure affect the molding up of discs?...

Pressure can, because of the pressure/volume/temperature relationship. Shouldn't affect molding up a LOT, but it's possible. Room temperature as well as the physical mold's and plastic's temperatures are bigger factors, though.

The wider rimmed discs tend to have more variation between them. I think Katanas are crazy for their potential ranges of stability...I've thrown some that have the -3 turn they are supposed to have, and lots of them that fly like a straight to fade overstable shot, and I definitely have the arm speed to turn over a disc that is supposed to be rated in that range.

TL's can also be more stable than expected, like -0.5/2 type of flight, but they are good to throw in that spot and will get to a very nice -1/1 shot with wear, even for hard throwers.

Like the advice above, keep throwing those discs for any second shots (or spike/trick shots in the case of the Katana) and they will get better and better with time. Used discs are a great way to get a straight or broken in flight from day 1. And I have just had bad luck with different Katanas I have tried, so either learn how to hand select those ones if you really like them or else consider moving towards another high speed max distance driver mold eventually (Tern and Shryke for example are very well received). Of course a "good" Katana for your arm speed is no worse than those other discs.

TL's can also be more stable than expected, like -0.5/2 type of flight, but they are good to throw in that spot and will get to a very nice -1/1 shot with wear, even for hard throwers.

Like the advice above, keep throwing those discs for any second shots (or spike/trick shots in the case of the Katana) and they will get better and better with time.

Maybe I've had exceptionally good luck, but for the most part all my Star TLs fly relatively the same; I haven't had one be all "Teebird" on me, nor have I had one start out all "River" on me. The Star TLs do season in pretty nicely over time.

The Champion TLs are a bit more overstable and don't wear in as quickly (and for me, not at all), and if one flies like you (plural) want, it'll stay there for a good while and be a great disc for your needs.

Latest posts