• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc diving vs some kinda retriever

soladeos

Bogey Member
i played Jordan creek (whitehall PA) yest. tree-d my disc into the 1st creek on hole 18. shallow water so i tried to get it out. i couldnt fish it out wiht a homemade Golden Retriever so i rolled up the jeans off'd the shoes/socks & went after it. eastern PA creeks aint warm in late october but i was able to reach it with a stik.

all this to ask... what do yall prefer, gettin wet or using equipment?

if its equipment, what do yall use?

i played Jordan creek (whitehall PA) yest. tree-d my disc into the 1st creek on hole 18. shallow water so i tried to get it out. i couldnt fish it out wiht a homemade Golden Retriever so i rolled up the jeans off'd the shoes/socks & went after it. eastern PA creeks aint warm in late october but i was able to reach it with a stik.

As dirty as PA creeks/canals can be ... sometimes you have to get wet. One of my first time DGing I threw my disc into the canal at Tinicum Park. The canal was high, nasty, cold and smelled terrible ... and I had to go in after it. Id never carry an actual retriever (less to carry is best) ... if I cant get it with a stick Ill just go in after it.

I have a telescoping retriever. My wife got it for me off the internet so I am not sure what it is called. I don't like to go in the water unless I have to.

damn that waters cold, but at least my wallet is still keeping my money warm.

Whenever i go to a tourney i pack discs, beer and swimmers. You can tell the difference between, mud, frogs, old boots, dx, flx, champion and star with your toes.

My toenails are still stained from the dirt on the bottom of the pond I waded in for discs 4 weeks ago.

I saw some guys use a triangle thing on a rope and pulled out 5 discs after a tourney. I think you could only use that kind of retriever if the bottom of the pond/creek is smooth. Most of the other ponds I've seen discs thrown into are murky so in order to retrieve them, you gotta get wet! Diving FTW!!!

I played Jordan Creek today and some guy was out there with a line and something heavy attached to it. I didn't talk to him, but he was definately fishing discs out of the 2nd creek on 18... as well as the pond on 7 when I was there. That dude gets around.

I carry a golden retriever and it is very useful when you can see your disc. It is especially handy when there is a creek with a 6 ft bank on either side so you don't have to climb down, etc. It's not very useful in mossy areas or areas you are just fishing (can't see the disc).

I have done my fair share of swimming (in cold water nonetheless) and recommend it. There's nothing like pulling 30+ discs out with your toes (even if the smell is horrid). Watch out for fish hooks though. Last time I got one in my foot and that is when I bought the retriever.

fore & atl, i used some thick wire coathangers and bent them into a discdiver shape last week. didnt work well in a fast moving stream strewn with rocks. i got hold of the disc but the rocks knocked it out. it moved closer to shore, thank heavens. thats when the shoes came off. & i grabbed a stick.

nosa, i saw a the thing that guy was using. it was a cord with a grill grate tied to it. seemed cumbersome.

With the retriever I've found that once you get hold of the disc its pretty impossible not to pull it out. Its very light and pays for itself after one retrieved disc. I don't regret having it in the bag.

You don't have to pony up the $20 or so for one. Just convince one of your friends to buy one and let you use it ;)

I think I posted this before. I only throw Dragons or Hydras near water hazards. If they do hit the water, I built this to pull them out of the water. Only cost about $12 to make and it breaks down into you bag. Goes together in 30 seconds. It floats on the water and brings your floating discs back to shore.

DiscRetriver5.jpg

DiscRetriver4.jpg

DiscRetriver1.jpg

DiscRetriver2.jpg

My toenails are still stained from the dirt on the bottom of the pond I waded in for discs 4 weeks ago.

I saw some guys use a triangle thing on a rope and pulled out 5 discs after a tourney. I think you could only use that kind of retriever if the bottom of the pond/creek is smooth. Most of the other ponds I've seen discs thrown into are murky so in order to retrieve them, you gotta get wet! Diving FTW!!!
I have seen that thing advertised on youtube i don't think it would really work that well

Simply genius.

Thanks. It took about two weeks of brain storming and a few prototypes before I made this design. It works really well and dosen't take up much room in the bag. I only take it when I know I am playing a course with a water hazard or two.

Man, did I wish I had a retriever, today. Put one past the basket on 8 at Moser and it ended up like 30' from shore. Luckily, the creek was shallow and clear, but I had to use what amounted to a fallen tree to get my wiz back.

Some kinda retriever

I go with equipment (some kinda retriever) and he's called a Bear dawg. When we were at the 05 Worlds in Allentown, he was able to dive down 5 to 6', stayed under for 30 seconds and came up with the disc from the crystal clear water.

This year alone, he's pulled in over 620 discs including 60 at USDGC, 90 at the Virginia Open, 52 at the Vibram Open and 39 at the W. Virginia Open. Occasionally I lose some that are out of his range but no way I'm going out to get them. :)

Latest posts