• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Disc for Dad

I actually did get him a Proxy, which he uses but he tends to throw the Tangent where I'd throw the Proxy, but that's fine. Do you use the mako3? If so, curious how pairs with proxy... I assume slightly redundant? Or was that just suggestion for easy straight flyer?

suggestion for a straight flyer.

tangent/alias are just longer than a proxy.

i am sure if i dropped some weight i couls throw the proxy as far as my mids, but thay isnt the case right now.

Deyo, might want to check out some lighter weight discs. I absolutely love FDs for control slots. (I carry 3) I have a 166g FD that is SUUUUPER easy to hyzerflip down tunnels. anhyzer all day, or power down for dead straight lines. The lighter weights obviously don't like wind so much, but it's easier for my aging and injured body to get a little more distance on control shots without having to force as much power out.

Discraft Glide- it's sort-of like a Leopard, but a little more understable, easier to throw, more glide, and just a very shapeable disc for most lines other than a pure hyzer or headwind shots.

Deyo, might want to check out some lighter weight discs. I absolutely love FDs for control slots. (I carry 3) I have a 166g FD that is SUUUUPER easy to hyzerflip down tunnels. anhyzer all day, or power down for dead straight lines. The lighter weights obviously don't like wind so much, but it's easier for my aging and injured body to get a little more distance on control shots without having to force as much power out.

Good to hear. Yeah, I'm leaning toward an FD or a River as a straight controllable driver for him. I was guessing that the River might suit him better at this stage (I had assumed it to be slightly less stable), but was also contemplating getting an Sline(?) FD, knowing he'd get good long term use out of it, and then pairing it with something that I know that he won't need to grow into, a Leopard or Relay type.

Perhaps an FD in mid to upper 160s could do well for him. Thank you.

My Dad is 59 and throws a Mamba, Sidewinder, Roadrunner, Underworld and Diamond. Uses a Quest Inferno for skip shots. His mids are Glide and Stratus. He uses the Panther for his long putter. Putter is Quest Crossfire. Weird bag but it works for him.

My Dad is 59 and throws a Mamba, Sidewinder, Roadrunner, Underworld and Diamond. Uses a Quest Inferno for skip shots. His mids are Glide and Stratus. He uses the Panther for his long putter. Putter is Quest Crossfire. Weird bag but it works for him.

I'm 65, and that sounds like an outstanding bag! Seriously.

MVP Inertia , S-line TD, Innova Star Sidewinder - Those are my recommendations for a good driver that's easy to grip and gets good D without being super Flippy - but allows for nice S flights.

If MY dad was gonna play, I'd give him an Inertia, FD, Buzzz SS, and any straight putter. Then fill in the gaps with an Undsertable disc and an Overstable one.

River, FD, Archer would be great choices. His distance sounds about like mine. You might consider also a lightweight Tern. I have a Star 158g that I throw father than any of my other discs, just not quite as accurately.

Latest posts