• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf and ball golf challenge

Pre-pandemic I got my discs from OTB's brick and mortar shop and one day I chatted up the owner (who's the best DGer I've ever played with in person - small sample size, but still)
He and his buddy did the "Challenge McBeast" or whatever it was called where doubles teams competed against Paul's score on the same track
They shot the best of all the pairings - I think he said they were 14 down (don't remember how many holes) and it would have been a 1090 rated round - and McBeth still won by one or two.

I think I read somewhere that that Paul fella is a pretty decent disc golfer.

I remember a club around here did one of these challenges back maybe 15 years ago. The disc golfers crushed the ball golfers.

It turns out that most league ball golfers actually still kinda suck. When you're actually playing by the rules and counting every stroke, most "80's" golfers are really shooting bogey golf at best. The disc golfers weren't really that much worse.

But get to the disc golf course, and most ball golfers are throwing 50 foot hyzers. They were carding 7's and 8's (or worse) on typical par 3 holes.

We actually run a charity Golf Biathlon Tournament every year to benefit St. Jude's. It's even sponsored by Fiddlehead Brewing, and they usually bring some of their DG-specific brews or like last year they provided a keg of Mastermind(!). We do 9 holes at our local golf course, followed by lunch at our ski lodge bar and then another 9 holes of Disc Golf at our facility and a steak dinner and raffle to close it out. It's so much fun, and actually has brought the visibility of disc golf up quite a bit for locals too.

Still waiting for foot golf to show up, but it can't be that far off, right?

Latest posts