• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Art

SaROCaM

Double Eagle Member
Usually I paint in my studio, but lately I have been bringing a sketchbook, pen, and a small travel watercolor box out with me to paint/sketch out at various locations. Here are a couple disc golf sketches:

picture.php

picture.php

That's great work for being in the field, awesome job!

How many times did you almost get nailed?

Reminds me of Winnie the Pooh. Which isn't a crticism.

I don't think a disc golf basket is an object to focus a sketch on. At least not in an attractive natural setting. I wonder what would happen if you started with a worthy natural scene and made the disc golf element secondary or even camouflaged within it. I have never seen a scene made more beautiful by disc golf equipment, but I have seen beautiful scenes that included disc golf.

That's great work for being in the field, awesome job!

How many times did you almost get nailed?

None; these holes are both fairly short so I could still see the tees, plus it was during the week so not as many people playing.

Reminds me of Winnie the Pooh. Which isn't a crticism.

I don't think a disc golf basket is an object to focus a sketch on. At least not in an attractive natural setting. I wonder what would happen if you started with a worthy natural scene and made the disc golf element secondary or even camouflaged within it. I have never seen a scene made more beautiful by disc golf equipment, but I have seen beautiful scenes that included disc golf.

Yeah I have heard the Winnie the Pooh thing before about my pen and watercolor stuff.

Mostly agree on that, but at some point it looks like simply a landscape and not a disc golf course. But yeah there has to be a nice balance or a fine line to find.

Tut-tut, looks like rain!

It's a rather blustery day...

I'm gettin' sea-sick from seein' too much!

All Pooh, all golfy.

Very nice drawings. Is pen/watercolor your preferred media? Or do you think of it as doodling? Regardless, I think they're lovely.

Tut-tut, looks like rain!

It's a rather blustery day...

I'm gettin' sea-sick from seein' too much!

All Pooh, all golfy.

Very nice drawings. Is pen/watercolor your preferred media? Or do you think of it as doodling? Regardless, I think they're lovely.

Thanks! I have preferred acrylics or oils in the past, but lately I have been on a watercolor kick. It seems more portable; easier to pack up and easier to clean up.

Thanks! I have preferred acrylics or oils in the past, but lately I have been on a watercolor kick. It seems more portable; easier to pack up and easier to clean up.

Watercolors, ink, and colored pencil are my favorite combination. I love how quickly I can work with them.

I have been thinking about creating some DG themed images recently. Your work has inspired me to make it happen. Thank you.

Have you ever seen the fantasy golf artwork by Loyal H Chapman? I could definitely see a market for these type of settings for disc golf.

That's pretty cool; I'll have to check out more of those.

Watercolors, ink, and colored pencil are my favorite combination. I love how quickly I can work with them.

I have been thinking about creating some DG themed images recently. Your work has inspired me to make it happen. Thank you.

Good stuff... looking forward to seeing your work if/when you share it.

Have you ever seen the fantasy golf artwork by Loyal H Chapman?

Until now, that's a big "Nope."

But now that I have, I feel that I should thank you for hippin' me to it.

Thank you. :hfive:

That's very cool stuff. Makes me wish those holes actually existed somewhere. I figure if I'm going to plummet to a watery demise, it might as well be immediately after stroking a 3-wood off a perch next to a waterfall...

Art means different things to different people. Paint the way you feel. I feel disc golf photography over the past several years has become similar to the paparazzi in that several of the new photographers lack creativity and only shoot touring pros. The framing and angles appear repetitive and difficult for people not familiar with the sport to understand. Some of the new dg photographers come across as wedding photographers as well. I started taking disc golf images during the spring of 2006 and have been published in a few Innova Calendars and published three books but rarely take a lot a pictures of disc golf now because if got stale for me. Check out my website if interested and I will sit back and wait for the negative comments.

https://somanyroads.smugmug.com/

Latest posts