• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf... at Night

djschnabel

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
So, for the second time in three months, my brother, friend and I went out and played disc golf at night, four rounds of 18 tonight.

I think we've got a pretty good setup. We have a rural course with solid teepads and Discraft baskets. This course only has one hole over 350, but each shot has some sort of obstacle. We haven't been bothered once at this course, and there isn't too much traffic.

Our setup includes lights for discs, one driver, one mid, one putter each. We also have push button lights, some LED, that we place on top of each basket. We don't use lights or glow sticks/bracelets for the teepads because of their proximity to the previous basket. One of us (or more) uses a head lamp for the rare occasion we can't find a disc, or the light falls off, which has only happened on rare occasions.

My question and reasoning for this thread is, does anybody else have tips or routines for night disc golf that may help out our community? Also, what type of course do you usually play at night? Our course is somewhat challenging, but the rural aspect I think is what makes our course ideal. I've played at Blue Ribbon Pines at night, and I didn't like it as much, because the holes are tight, pretty long, and you only usually have so many lights on discs.

We have a blast at night, there are no crowds, winds are down, etc. Although we've done this only twice, um, it is winter and we're in Minnesota. We're looking at making it a part of our routine.

Sounds like you guys got it dialed in pretty good!

BTW- I never would have thought a place called Coon Rapids was rural. lulz.

Some regular glow disc and little portable black lights is a good alternative. I like using the glow disc because the lights on disc always hit me the wrong way and kill my night vision.

i like to put a bright color champion disc on top of the light, either on top of the baskest or inside the basket so it does not mess with my night vision, also helpful to pick out the different baskets when they are placed close togther.

Last edited:
The Heman Woman Hater Club meets every wednesday year round so half of the year we glow from the get go, often as late as midnight.

Each has his preferred method but the most economical method with the least amount of hassle is the little one inch break glow stick. Then you do not have to worry about delunkering at the end of the round and if need be they are still glowing for the next night's fun. Recently glow tape and blackkights is something we are experimenting with. Clear duct tape $9 but the best adhesion we have found.

I would ditch the lights for the tees/basket. If you are familiar with the course, you know where the baskets are, and it helps your night vision to ditch those lights.

I would ditch the lights for the tees/basket. If you are familiar with the course, you know where the baskets are, and it helps your night vision to ditch those lights.

I can see how some courses are very playable without lights on the baskets, but this one in particular is pretty wooded. Also, to prevent night blindness, we take the lights and shine them facing straight down, illuminating the basket without blinding us on putts.

I like the idea of placing champion plastic on top of a light, muting the light, but also providing a different color between close holes so you can distinguish between two close baskets.

yeah.. you don't need lights on the baskets. that's not night golf, that's flashlight golf.

There are winter night DG leagues in the Twin Cities. Moondawg is Tuesday nights at the Valley. Most players meet at the Bierstube next to the course for belly warmers before the round. Westside Winter Wednesday is played on a course rotating schedule between Staring Lake, Plymouth Creek and Central Park. JA aced #6 at Staring last Wednesday for $134.

Pro Tip:

If you're using the uv flashlights, don't turn them off and set them down. They can be difficult to find. Either set them down while on, or make a habit of putting it in your bag during throws. I'm always surprised by how many people will misplace their uv lights. :D

Reflective tape on the poles of the basket works pretty well as long as you have line-of-sight with the basket. And after you place the tape you can get in a lot of rounds before it needs replaced again. A weak flashlight beam should be able to make the tape reflect enough that it can be seen from the tee box.
We shine the tape, get a good idea where the basket is, then shut the light off and like previously stated make sure you bag it, then proceed to tee off. Works really good as long as you keep the light forward and don't blind your group.

you should only use UV flashlights because normal flashlights destroy your chance of good night vision. you'd be surprised at how well you can see by moonlight if you just turn out the lights.

Glow sticks in the chains is the the only way to light up a basket. If you try to shine a flashlight at it then its time for you to leave :)
And use glow discs because if you tape something on your disc to light it up we're not helping you look for it when repeated tree hits knocks it loose.
A pocket size UV flashlight (9 bulb) is plenty for lighting up your discs.

i know guys who crack open glow sticks and then pour the liquid all over the disc, they usually use an older disc they dont care to much for, i have never done this because they say it messes with the grip of the plastic, but if its a old disc who cares. anyone else try this?

i know guys who crack open glow sticks and then pour the liquid all over the disc, they usually use an older disc they dont care to much for, i have never done this because they say it messes with the grip of the plastic, but if its a old disc who cares. anyone else try this?

I found luminescent paint at the hobby store and used it on some white DX discs to round out my glow bag. One coat worked okay glow-wise, and didn't hurt grip at all. Two coats probably would've worked better. Nice, cheap option.

I wonder if luminescent paint on the basket would work? Sitting in the sun all day I would think it would get quite a "charge" to really glow at night? This obviously wouldn't be for a public course, but like my practice basket or a private course?

Last edited:

I've seen it done, but never personally tried it. :thmbup:

It's, uh, REALLY cool when altered, if you catch my drift. ;)

The guys I saw doing it called it "crop-dusting" because if you do it correctly, and keep the liquid on top through the throw, and throw it down a tunnel shot, the glow liquid shoots off and coats the trees to a certain degree.

A couple of different colors mixed together is just sooo awesome. :cool: