• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf at Relay for Life Event

Ok, so my coworkers and I are participating in Relay for Life (www.RelayforLife.org) to support the American Cancer Society. We decided that for the night of the event we would have a fundraising booth, Putt For a Cure. Participants pay $1 to putt at a Disc Golf Basket....both from Disc Nation...wonder if I could get a donation from them to my team...:) The event is in Kyle, Texas...a fifteen minute drive south of Disc Nation. ;) I might have to swing by the store tomorrow and ask...would be GREAT advertising and could get many new customers for the store.

Anyway, If they sink the putt they get a raffle ticket to enter into one of several drawings. They can enter into more if they participate more. Right now we have been given $50 gift certificates to Best Buy, Alamo Draft House (a local bada$$ theatre) and various other businesses around the South Austin Area.

My question is....

How far of a putt should we set this up for? I am thinking the more people that make the putt the better our chances that they will participate multiple times earning multiple raffles tickets to enter into several drawings or to enter all into one drawing. We talked about this today while playing a quick round at Searight. I say 10-15 feet given that most of these people have probably never thrown a putter in their life. My buddies said to keep it between 15-20 feet. I dont want people to miss it and then just decide to move on. If they sink the putt then they are more likely to try again...and hopefully again.

Give me your opinion. I know 10 ft is an easy shot for (most) of us. Should be a gimme putt. But we are doing this with a hundreds of people who have probably never thrown a disc, let alone a putter.

Any other ideas are welcome!

I'd say 10-15 gives them a shot at one raffle ticket. 15-20 gets them two. Or they can go for it and try to hit from 25 feet for three tickets. You'll have people trying from all distances -- more entries!

I'd say 10-15 gives them a shot at one raffle ticket. 15-20 gets them two. Or they can go for it and try to hit from 25 feet for three tickets. You'll have people trying from all distances -- more entries!

That idea came up to, but we quickly dismissed it. Maybe we need to revist that. We will have two baskets on site.

I agree with this. Let people decide how far away they want to shoot. I am sure you will get the guys who want to impress people by shooting from the long distance :)
20' is only tough in a tourney
its easy at home when your grab assing
I don't even want to know what you and your friends do for "practice"....lol

Excellent idea. Maybe have three or four distances. One shot from each distance.

I like the idea of giving them a chance at mutiple shots at different distances. Maybe 15 ft earns one ticket, 20 ft earns two and 30 feet earns three.

If they pay $1 then they choose one shot. If they pay $2 they get to attempt all three shots.

Brainstorming. I think our booth (especially with the prizes we have lined up) has the potential to raise A LOT more money than the others.

20' is only tough in a tourney
its easy at home when your grab assing

That I have to agree with. I can hit beautiful putts from 25ft away...when not actually in a round. But once we get on the course, and the score means something, those shots become difficult.

make one a 35' uphill putt with a manmade elevated basket structure, and a stiff tailwind
and make the other a big 100' approach from the thick of the woods with no line

That I have to agree with. I can hit beautiful putts from 25ft away...when not actually in a round. But once we get on the course, and the score means something, those shots become difficult.

That's all fine and good, but the average Joe at the Relay For Life doesn't even know how to hold a putter, much less any technique.

10 - 15 feet max is h correct answer or the general public.

Make it $1 per throw, or something like 7 throws for $5.

Making it difficult will only cost you money.

I like the idea of giving them a chance at mutiple shots at different distances. Maybe 15 ft earns one ticket, 20 ft earns two and 30 feet earns three.

If they pay $1 then they choose one shot. If they pay $2 they get to attempt all three shots.

Brainstorming. I think our booth (especially with the prizes we have lined up) has the potential to raise A LOT more money than the others.

I like this idea

10 ft 1 ticket
20 ft 2 tickets
30 ft 3 tickets

$1 a throw, $2 for one from each distance

You don't lose anything by alot of people making putts and getting raffle tickets, you are giving away the prizes regardless so it doesn't matter that everyone can make the 10 ft'ers.

With the 10 ft'ers it's like everyone can buy a ticket for $1; which to me is ideal.

That's all fine and good, but the average Joe at the Relay For Life doesn't even know how to hold a putter, much less any technique.

10 - 15 feet max is h correct answer or the general public.

Make it $1 per throw, or something like 7 throws for $5.

Making it difficult will only cost you money.

I agree 100%. Some other teams are claiming it is too easy....um..yea...that's kinda the point isnt it. That is why I posted. I was curious what others thought. If the common person who has never touched a putter were to throw and miss they might just walk away....but if they make one and then another....they are mroe likely to spend more money right?

Having a couple different distances might be intriguing but I am still thinking that I want to have 10 ft as one of them.

I like this idea

10 ft 1 ticket
20 ft 2 tickets
30 ft 3 tickets

$1 a throw, $2 for one from each distance

You don't lose anything by alot of people making putts and getting raffle tickets, you are giving away the prizes regardless so it doesn't matter that everyone can make the 10 ft'ers.

With the 10 ft'ers it's like everyone can buy a ticket for $1; which to me is ideal.

Correct again. While a 10 ft putt to you and I is a gimme it wont be to others. I really like the $2 for a shot from all three distances. They can still choose to putt all night from 10 ft or try something a little more rewarding but more difficult. Good idea!

The more I read over this, the more I want to do it for our relay next year. For sure let us know how it works out. How much plastic are you getting?

The more I read over this, the more I want to do it for our relay next year. For sure let us know how it works out. How much plastic are you getting?

We have 9 prizes all valued at $50 (one is higher). I think this is going to be a winner. I really like the plan now of 10-20-30 ft, $1 for one throw at 10ft or $2 to throw once from every distance. I am hoping for one more prize. I emailed Disc Nation...could not make it there today...and asked for their support. Would be cool to get the only local disc golf shop on board with this. If not I understand. NOt all businesses can help right now. But even with 9 gift cards at various businesses I think we will be in great shape come this Friday!

Pulled out all my extra Aviars to make sure I had enough...turns out I have enough putters to fill my Fade Tourny bag with no room for anything else. LOL!

Latest posts