• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Club at the 2/4 year colleges

sumo21

Eagle Member
Hey fellow disc heads. I am a student at American River College (ARC) in Sacramento, California and was thinking about starting a club on campus and wanted to guage the interest. I am creating a club constitution, as all clubs on campus need one. The only catch is that you would have to be a student at ARC. The good part is that you only need to be enrolled in 1 unit, a simple PE class. What do you all think?

it's always worth creating whatever kind of exposure you can. make friends with the ultimate people too. bag tags make for a good way to keep people coming back.

is there a rec center or gym on campus? do they have events promoting sports clubs/groups? is there a way you could set up demos with a basket somewhere?

Dreadlock86

Me and a friend are going to build a PVC basket. Gonna try to drum up interest by getting people involved in throwing discs at the basket. The first person to make 5 or 10 in a row will get a gift card. Then we can get everyone to ask or inquire what's going on. I'm trying to knock out all the paperwork now so it will be smooth sailing when the club gets started.

in my experience courses at colleges fail because the students behind the initiative graduate and move on and the courses go in disrepair and forgotten unmaintained. Not hating just my observation

best of luck!

Alot of the college clubs I've seen (not disc golf, just clubs in general) don't limit it to just students. I like that idea. Usually, most of the members will be students, but you can still grow with the locals members as well.

in my experience courses at colleges fail because the students behind the initiative graduate and move on and the courses go in disrepair and forgotten unmaintained. Not hating just my observation

best of luck!

we have some great courses here in MN at colleges and other schools too. Actually some of the best maintained'

At some point, the fact of non college members is a sticking point but I'm trying to be a clever wordsmith so that can happen. And yes, I've been down the road before after the crew who start the club graduates, the club goes downhill. I'm going to go to my home course and ask the resident pro there about that. He also runs the pro shop. Just have to get members that are as excited as I am about this. This way, the club stands a chance of surviving.

In my experience (at Georgia Tech and the University of Texas at Austin), allowing members who are not affiliated with the university makes the club ineligible for any kind of funding support from the university. That's something you should check on if you ever want your school to help pay for tournament entry fees, travel, discs, shirts, etc.

In my experience (at Georgia Tech and the University of Texas at Austin), allowing members who are not affiliated with the university makes the club ineligible for any kind of funding support from the university. That's something you should check on if you ever want your school to help pay for tournament entry fees, travel, discs, shirts, etc.

That's a good point. We didn't really need funding for the juggling club, so that thought never bothered us.

At some point, the fact of non college members is a sticking point but I'm trying to be a clever wordsmith so that can happen. And yes, I've been down the road before after the crew who start the club graduates, the club goes downhill. I'm going to go to my home course and ask the resident pro there about that. He also runs the pro shop. Just have to get members that are as excited as I am about this. This way, the club stands a chance of surviving.

Just don't have any members-only events. Or run two parallel organizations, a college "club" for purposes of on-campus advertising, fundraising, etc. and a "traditional" club for anything else you want to have a "club" for.

Maybe most or all of the college members would also be members of the "traditional" club. But not vice versa, if it's not allowed.

I wouldn't expect your college to subsidize travel or tournament entry fees for non-students. But, it would be very good (likely for both the college kids and the public) if your events could be open to the broader public.

Latest posts