• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Course Analysis

I didn't even consider the possibility of a 38 hole course.

Hey graph guy, can you compile the rankings for SSE/18 holes?

Or divide SSE by whatever number of holes the course has, so that you can graph rating vs. SSE per hole?

Cool data analysis, best thread I've read on here in awhile.

I didn't even consider the possibility of a 38 hole course.

Hey graph guy, can you compile the rankings for SSE/18 holes?

Please refer to post #42. :)

jeverett, with course layout length to rating, there are several courses with a range of lengths due to multiple tees/pins. Would you like to see the minimum length or maximum length? I can run this tomorrow.

Please refer to post #42. :)

jeverett, with course layout length to rating, there are several courses with a range of lengths due to multiple tees/pins. Would you like to see the minimum length or maximum length? I can run this tomorrow.

Hi ElementZ,

Ah yes, I hadn't thought this through fully. :p Huh. Well, are you able to average min and max length? If not, I'd *suspect* that max length would be more interesting/impactful than min length, but I could be wrong?

Hi ElementZ,

Ah yes, I hadn't thought this through fully. :p Huh. Well, are you able to average min and max length? If not, I'd *suspect* that max length would be more interesting/impactful than min length, but I could be wrong?

Let's do it. I filtered on courses that have an SSE > 0, Reviews > 1, and a Length. This left 3366 courses. Below is the max length v. rating, color coded on SSE.

Lengthv_Rating.png

There are two outliers I want to identify.

Reno Adventure Park is 1340 feet but has a 5.0 rating.

Edgebrook DGC with an average hole length of 857 feet having a rating of 2.18. Maybe this course was a little toooo long. :D

Sebastian, that is great, good work. I love statistical studies like this. I am curious as to how you came up with the exact number of courses with specific number of baskets/holes? I recently tried to find 12 hole courses, but the search parameters here didn't seem to narrow it down that specifically.

Complete Ratings by State

Here are the course ratings by state. The first is the average course rating, the second is the average review rating. I think a table is the best way to present this data, even if it's pretty big.

It makes sense that average review rating is higher, because people are more likely to play (and thus review) higher rated courses.

It's remarkable how close some of these are. For example, for average course rating AK is 2.6010 and VT is 2.6003.

State_Ratings.png

Sebastian, that is great, good work. I love statistical studies like this. I am curious as to how you came up with the exact number of courses with specific number of baskets/holes? I recently tried to find 12 hole courses, but the search parameters here didn't seem to narrow it down that specifically.

A coworker of mine wrote some Powershell code to extract information from each individual course id and then created a database so I can do analysis and data visualization incredibly quickly using RapidMiner & Excel.

When I was a junior in college, I did a similar analysis but I only had about 100 courses because I was manually typing values into Excel. The way I'm doing it now is soooo much nicer lol. :hfive:

I'm wondering if the lower ranking of some states like Minnesota and Iowa with many courses might have to do with more of their courses being 9 versus 18 holes or higher? Would you be able to exclude courses with less than 18 holes and see how much that changes the rankings?

I'm wondering if the lower ranking of some states like Minnesota and Iowa with many courses might have to do with more of their courses being 9 versus 18 holes or higher? Would you be able to exclude courses with less than 18 holes and see how much that changes the rankings?

I'd be happy to.

You were absolutely right. Minnesota jumped from being 43rd to 5th when just looking at courses with 18 or more baskets. Of Minnesota's 264 courses, only 60 had 18 or more baskets.

State_Ratings18.png

Like I wrote earlier, I think it's going to be tricky to find a metric that everyone agrees on to determine which state has the "best" disc golf, but I think it's safe to say after looking at these rankings that DG in Wyoming sucks.

Another way to make sure all the lower rated courses don't bring the state rating down (after all, we don't need to play them) is to use just the top courses in each state.

Take the top-ranked (Population * 44/1,000,000) number of courses and rank the states by that.

Or, top (sq miles * .0007) courses.

Let's do it. I filtered on courses that have an SSE > 0, Reviews > 1, and a Length. This left 3366 courses. Below is the max length v. rating, color coded on SSE.

It looks like a lot of those dots are overlapping and obscuring each other in the middle. Could you redraw the chart as a heat map, so we get a better impression of the density of the data points where the dots are overlapping?

I'm also curious what the median total length is for these 3366 courses. I'm surprised there are so many courses over 10,000 feet.

I'd be happy to.

You were absolutely right. Minnesota jumped from being 43rd to 5th when just looking at courses with 18 or more baskets. Of Minnesota's 264 courses, only 60 had 18 or more baskets.

Like I wrote earlier, I think it's going to be tricky to find a metric that everyone agrees on to determine which state has the "best" disc golf, but I think it's safe to say after looking at these rankings that DG in Wyoming sucks.
What's interesting is that all states are like Keillor's Lake Wobegon where the average ratings of the 18+ holers are all above a 2.5 average. ;)

Another way to make sure all the lower rated courses don't bring the state rating down (after all, we don't need to play them) is to use just the top courses in each state.

So you want to throw out the score from the East German judge? ;)

I really appreciate this thread. As someone who takes course review seriously and am trying to make reviews as helpful as possible this thread has generated some introspection for me and how I evaluate courses. It's interesting to me that things other reviewers find important are also important to me.

I will comment on the SSE that eventually there is a point where I say, "this hole is just absurd" and yes it does affect my overall rating. A good example of this is hole 17 at UAH Disc golf course in Huntsville, AL. Not only is it stupid hard it is also a silly safety hazard. I wonder how many cars have been hit? However I have yet to encounter a course where as a whole it was so difficult I gave it a lower rating - it's almost always because of individual poorly designed holes. I tend to find absurdly difficult holes to be unimangitive an hard for the sake of being hard because many times they seem to be just dropped into the forrest with little to no thought of creating a realistic path to follow and no underbrush cleared away.