• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Driving Range (Investment)

First the range will not offer PLAYERS 300 of the same disc... Users can buy disc in a group of 300 so they would get 6 discs and 50 each.. ect... ( Also we know it is not realistic to think that be could offer every kind of disc in large numbers. ( The plan/model that we will be using is a donation & user to user rental system that will allow players to donate discs and also rent out discs to users on the range. Also we will have a stock on new(Range Discs by all major brands)

Second -- The main advantage that this range give to users is the ability to really practice in the Winter and Colder Months of the year. We have found that in the Leigh Valley around 80% of players to not practice or play nearly as much in the colder months. Players do not like to play when they have to ware to much clothing and when temps are two low. And as a result the "Heated" Driving range will have a influx of users during this time.

Join the Investors
http://fiverr.com/users/michaellesa...nchise-disc-golf-driving-range?ref=glst-g-ttl

So this place is going to be indoors? Where exactly in the Lehigh Valley area is this going to be?

Another question, with all these disc going out and there will obviously be a return system. Ok, how is this system going to run? What's the turn around on disc going to be if you only have a few disc to throw? How will the renters disc get back to them specificly? Will there be "lanes" persay? I know the catch nets are going out there. But, with th varying speed of players an automated system will have many draw backs. Some will be waiting, unless it's multiple retrieval systems, one per lane. Like a bowling alley.

Then comes in the size of these lanes. How big is big enough to practice yur drives? Will others be confined to their own lane?

Lastly checking disc as rentals vs personal. Sure these disc can b marked with huge stamps showing rentals. But, unless there are individual retrieval systems for each person, and other people's disc can't come into your collector. I can see many issues coming up with people claiming they were ripped off, lost disc or the infamous stolen disc. "Someone stole super rare my 153 Dx Leopard!" Just some concerns I have that I think you should work out.

I just don't see people paying to go out and throw their disc in a field with 20-30 other people and risk losing their CE disc or something. Now I know better they shouldn't have those out there, but you know it will happen. Lots of people like to practice with their expensive plastic. If you throw it, practice with it. Lol.

Another thing, with a fast yet workable collection system, you'll have to ensure the disc aren't damaged.

I like the idea, I also think it needs to be connected to a store or course or both like zam already said.

So what if a pile of 50 has diff. weights or plastics? Newbs wont care, experienced players can throw and compare the differences for themselves. Maybe customers should have the option to hand pick their bag of throwers.

I see this being more of a "try out a mold" type place and less of a "shot shaping practice" type of place. Which is why it needs a store (like in Austin). It could though, if you had a separate area for personal plastic throwing with the retrieval system. Just don't mess up my plastic retrieving it.

That being said, I'd be surprised if it takes off.
Good luck though!

Users will not be able to throw their own discs.. They will have the ability to rent discs they own to others who use the range. They will get a proceed for each time the disc is rented.

A separate area will be for personal plastic throwing with the delicate retrieval system. like said above

Look, it is a novel idea but ZAM(leopard) pretty much said everything that needs to be said. I think everyone would love to see this type of business succeed. It only helps push the sport to the next level.

But a range needs to be attached to a store. As a guy that works in the store, I have a hard time imagining how this will be successful as just a driving range. The range would need to be in a disc golf mecca. It would need to offer more than just an open field. I find it hard to believe you would get repeat customers unless it was attached to a STRONG regional club(or mecca). I would imagine it being like a batting cage where guys take a date and wonder why it never goes past the first date. I know I would never use it and I spend hours in soccer fields.

you have a great mindset but dont expect anyone here to invest in your product. most of the daily forum posters here at DGR are heavily involved in running clubs/tourney, work in the industry, or are sponsored/open/ma1 players. Most of us are adept at calling out what we see as "crap"(not as in you, but that it would work). Take this to DGCR.com if you havent. it costs a lot to buy that many discs and you will NEVER fill up 25 teeboxes. DN offers a free 600+ft driving range that sees very little "field work" from local ams/pros. The range sells discs to newbies, pure and simple. I go out and throw discs while other people test because I know that when they see me throw far, they will ask what I threw and buy it.

Ball golf driving ranges have a hard time staying in business without another draw. Ball golf driving ranges that do stay in business, stay in business because it costs more and takes more time to play a round of ball golf than many people can afford to do on a regular basis. Those people go drop $8 on a bucket of balls and hit for an hour. Disc golfers don't suffer from either of those problems when it comes to playing rounds so you will need some large draw to get people to come throw at your range.

If you are looking for investors maybe you can lay out your business plan and some costs. How much is this land going to take to get? How much are the pads, pro shop, discs and other things going to cost? How much are you going to pay the pro to be there? What is the minimum amount of people you need to come and buy discs or time on the range per day to make money? how long do you need to be open before you start making a profit?

One of the courses in Colorado over in Arvada called Bird's Nest has a driving range with distance markers.

how many people actually practice any aspect of disc golf? the most practice the average disc golfer does is throwing extra shots during a round. why would somebody want to pay to practice (with discs that you don't own) when they can play a round(s) for free or go throw in a field for free. isn't mastering the discs you throw the point of practice?

The only way I could see someone paying to "practice" is to try out a disc they have been wanting to throw before purchase, if they aren't lucky enough to have a place like Disc Nation to go to.

MDL1113 said:
Users will not be able to throw their own discs..

This statement alone kills your idea. Why would anyone want to practice with anything but the discs you will be playing with?

I applaud you for trying to come up with an idea to better the sport... keep trying and someting will come up.

... but here's how I'd do it. have people put a tiny color-coded sticker on the bottom of their discs. When they're done they go to your bar and have a drink while they wait for your guy to go retreive their discs and deliver them.... then the cycle starts all over again. Still not a bullet-proof plan but at least now you have bar revenue and people can throw their own plastic.

how to make a disc golf driving range profitable....

1. add a stripper pole and naked girls to the mix
2. serve alcohol (as someone already mentioned)
3. put people who look like assholes in business suits out in the range for everyone to aim at
4. snowball stand

Latest posts