• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf for $$

Would you Pay to Play Disc Golf?

• Total voters
In the hypothetical situation that all were pay to play, at this point I'd pay to play but I doubt I would have ever gotten to this point if the courses weren't free in the first place just because of how difficult/frustrating the game was at first.

my point exactly!!! everyone wants this sport to get big, but is this really the way to do it?!?! back in the day when i first started i da#n sure wouldnt pay to play....and would have never stuck with it like i have....yeah the great courses would be nice...but what are you gonna do when no one is around to play them?

Since most are in public parks, I don't see how they could charge for entrance. They would also have to charge for people to use the walking paths, picnic areas, and baseball fields. The only way disc golf will ever be pay to play is if its on private land, or if you pay for a pass. Example is in Ohio, some of the courses are in parks that charge $5 a year or something like that for parking, not only to play disc golf, but for everything in the park, unless you walk there of course. If the courses were in a park, then no, I wouldn't pay for more than a parking permit.

However, in a purely hypothetical, where all public courses were moved to private land, I would gladly play a yearly fee to play, supposing the fee was reasonable. In return, I would expect the course to be well kept and have all the amenities you'd expect on a top course. I don't think you would need to worry about tee times, disc golf isn't big enough for it. There's only one course in my area that has people playing it regularly.

if every course was pay to play then no, i would not play as much.

that being said one of my favorite courses is pay to play ($5 per day)

Since most are in public parks, I don't see how they could charge for entrance. They would also have to charge for people to use the walking paths, picnic areas, and baseball fields. The only way disc golf will ever be pay to play is if its on private land, or if you pay for a pass. Example is in Ohio, some of the courses are in parks that charge $5 a year or something like that for parking, not only to play disc golf, but for everything in the park, unless you walk there of course. If the courses were in a park, then no, I wouldn't pay for more than a parking permit.

However, in a purely hypothetical, where all public courses were moved to private land, I would gladly play a yearly fee to play, supposing the fee was reasonable. In return, I would expect the course to be well kept and have all the amenities you'd expect on a top course. I don't think you would need to worry about tee times, disc golf isn't big enough for it. There's only one course in my area that has people playing it regularly.

The 2 closest courses to me are both public parks and both charge a fee. Either daily or yearly. They do not charge for the general use of the park. But they charge us!

screw that...i would walk to the park, since thats all im gonna do there besides throwing a disc..that way it saves on a parking fee...and then i would sneek in to hole 2 or somethin, through the back, that way i didnt have to pay for golf

and what stops someone from sneaking into a pay to play course? even if they have a fence you can still jump it?

screw that...i would walk to the park, since thats all im gonna do there besides throwing a disc..that way it saves on a parking fee...and then i would sneek in to hole 2 or somethin, through the back, that way i didnt have to pay for golf

and what stops someone from sneaking into a pay to play course? even if they have a fence you can still jump it?

The have park rangers that patrol 1 of them but the other is an honor system.

The 2 closest courses to me are both public parks and both charge a fee. Either daily or yearly. They do not charge for the general use of the park. But they charge us!

That seems really unreasonable. Any ideas why they charge you and not anyone else?

thats the same boat im in....why drive further, and pay?!?! lol.....and even if it was $2 a round, or even a day for that matter, would get expensive for me....i play nearly every day, and several rounds a day at that...it would prolly even out around $50 a month for me...and thats if $2 is a daily fee....$50?!?!?!:eek: thats my beer and cig money!!! not to mention discs

Sounds like someone would need to take a look at his priorities if this happened. Beer and cigs? or disc golf? Hmm.

Anyways. I would still play as much assuming the price was reasonable and the courses were well taken care of. I'd even buy year passes (or lifetime?!) if they were offered at the courses I played most often. Heck, I'd even join the local disc golf country club! (Once I'm out of college and have that much free money to spare, I guess.)

Sounds like someone would need to take a look at his priorities if this happened. Beer and cigs? or disc golf? Hmm.

Anyways. I would still play as much assuming the price was reasonable and the courses were well taken care of. I'd even buy year passes (or lifetime?!) if they were offered at the courses I played most often. Heck, I'd even join the local disc golf country club! (Once I'm out of college and have that much free money to spare, I guess.)

Country clubs are for old rich white dudes that have nothing better to do than talk about investments and crap. (Sorry if anyone is in a country club :p) I don't think disc golf has the right culture for country clubs.

That seems really unreasonable. Any ideas why they charge you and not anyone else?

They say it is for the upkeep of the course and to obtain money for additional courses. However the local club does all of the work with no help from the city on the one that is patroled. The other is also a usage fee and that park is well maintained.

Lots of empty promises about a new course.

It still burns most of us though.

(Once I'm out of college and have that much free money to spare, I guess.)

my priorities are just fine thanks...

and so your saying you wouldnt play until you got out of college??? if your priorities where straight you could go to school, have a job, and still have enough money for dg huh?

They say it is for the upkeep of the course and to obtain money for additional courses. However the local club does all of the work with no help from the city on the one that is patroled. The other is also a usage fee and that park is well maintained.

Lots of empty promises about a new course.

It still burns most of us though.

Ah, aren't politics great. It sounds like what goes on around here, except they haven't thought of charging us yet. This is maybe one good thing that could come out of dg making it into the so called 'big time.' More pressure on the cities to build and maintain the courses. I'm sure they'd catch hell if they let the baseball fields go to ****.

Country clubs are for old rich white dudes that have nothing better to do than talk about investments and crap. (Sorry if anyone is in a country club :p) I don't think disc golf has the right culture for country clubs.

SAY WHAT! Visit the local country club here and you will find white, black, hispanic, etc.! And no they are not token members.

Ah, aren't politics great. It sounds like what goes on around here, except they haven't thought of charging us yet. This is maybe one good thing that could come out of dg making it into the so called 'big time.' More pressure on the cities to build and maintain the courses. I'm sure they'd catch hell if they let the baseball fields go to ****.

It would be soccer and baseball around here. They would have a giant hissy fit.

SAY WHAT! Visit the local country club here and you will find white, black, hispanic, etc.! And no they are not token members.

It was mostly a joke. That's definitely the stereotype though. Still, I don't think the typical clubhouse scene would fit well with disc golfers. I think more along the lines of a pub would be better, which there are plenty of, and don't require membership fees.

my priorities are just fine thanks...

and so your saying you wouldnt play until you got out of college??? if your priorities where straight you could go to school, have a job, and still have enough money for dg huh?

No, I said I wouldn't join a country club devoted to disc golf until I got out of college. From what I know (which is very little) country club fees are rather steep.

As for your priorities, I never said they weren't fine. You were the one that said it would take all your cig and beer money to keep playing disc golf. Was just saying that it seems like it'd be a tough decision. It must not be as you've very obviously pointed out.

It was mostly a joke. That's definitely the stereotype though. Still, I don't think the typical clubhouse scene would fit well with disc golfers. I think more along the lines of a pub would be better, which there are plenty of, and don't require membership fees.

Got Yah! You are right about the people. You would find us at the pub, or sports bar. Having a time the with your homeys. Not quite the country club style. But look what happened with snow boarding. It could happen here. DG mainstream would be sad.

I can see it now...

"Bentley", he says in a low snobbish voice, "go get the car and take us to the club. I need to throw some plastic".:rolleyes:

It doesn't fit does it?

No, I said I wouldn't join a country club devoted to disc golf until I got out of college. From what I know (which is very little) country club fees are rather steep.

As for your priorities, I never said they weren't fine. You were the one that said it would take all your cig and beer money to keep playing disc golf. Was just saying that it seems like it'd be a tough decision. It must not be as you've very obviously pointed out.

ive got enough money to keep on doin all three...i just wouldnt buy as many discs..but hell ive got plenty allready so that wouldnt be a big deal

e1df1539_m.jpg

Who says it has to be the typical clubhouse you are thinking of? Just imagine walking around that lake to the left... you walk up the path to an open barn door next to hole#1, where there's a cozy little disc-shop and cafe serving simple sandwiches and drinks. (...ah, living the dream)

What would make me pay? Turning the many multi-use parks into something a little more destination-worthy (i.e. bring the fam, lunch on-site, restroom facilities, etc). At that point, I'd pay a single-day use fee or season pass type of structure.