• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Hijinks at the Airport

Flew to CA twice with them as carryons, no questions asked either time. Must be my trustworthy look. :)

Flying used to be fun, now it just sucks.

No problems... BWI to Orlando

Here are some travel pics of my Juliana. Unfortunately, as the 2nd to last picture shows, she ended up having to be checked since she was so dangerous in my hands. :p

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Flying

Flying used to be fun, now it just sucks.

Yeah, flying sucks. I've got an inside track on a new possibly really high-paying job, but I'd have to fly almost every week. Thinking lower pay may not be so bad. But I could be bought. There would have to be a deal including a custom disc duffle bag.

I read all your reviews after you posted them, pretty much had played all of the same courses as you. Different world than back east though, So much more open then the courses I'm used to playing around here.

Agreed. I think they were a little too open and repetitive, but they did the best with what they had.

I hope you liked what you read :)

Here are some travel pics of my Juliana. Unfortunately, as the 2nd to last picture shows, she ended up having to be checked since she was so dangerous in my hands. :p

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Those pics are awesome!!!

I think the weighting agents in the discs are what show up on the x-rays and make them look like something other than plastic. I've had the comment that they looked like metal discs at several different airports.

Pocatello, ID

TSA: There's something in your bag I need to look at.

Me: You mean the golf disc?

TSA (turning red) Of course. Well, I still have to look now.

I saw this thread, and I thought for a second it was gonna be about how you saw a guy in Detroit metro airport, in one of the empty plane gates, putting back and forth over 3 to 5 rows (empty!) of seats.....
Cause that was me Monday afternoon when my plane was delayed by an hour. Lots of people got a good chuckle out of it. Figured it would be better than killin' some more brain cells on my phone's interweb.

Yeah, flying sucks. I've got an inside track on a new possibly really high-paying job, but I'd have to fly almost every week. Thinking lower pay may not be so bad. But I could be bought. There would have to be a deal including a custom disc duffle bag.

Flying isn't really all that bad. You just gotta know all the little things that make flying a little easier and less of a hassle.

Whenever I see them pointing at the X-ray screen, I'll say out loud "They're disc golf frisbees!" 70% of the time, it gets me a "Ahhhhhh!, okay"

i don't think they even looked twice when i went to houston last month.

@rdwyer that's kinda troubling that the scanner picked up the discs as metal- means the settings weren't correct or the operator was interpreting the image wrong.

Dave Dunipace has said that the weighting agents they use are actually metal salts. This might be what causes them to register as metal.

That's what one of the x-ray people was saying. Well, not that persay, but that they're showing up because there's something metallic mixed in the plastic

Practicing putting while waiting in the terminal = genius!

I've traveled numerous times with discs and the only time I've ever had a problem is when I had them in my laptop bag, along with the 'puter, some peripherals (including an external HD), and a plethora of power cords, etc. Let's just say my bag and person were searched WELL right then and there.

I didn't have to worry because the indian guy in front of me had a whole mess of EE stuff, including a test box of some sort, a bag of various wires and jumpers, that sort of thing. Just some engineer who probably deals with this every time he takes his work stuff with him. I looked and he just had this resigned look on his face of "Yup, okay, this is gonna take a while, again"
The lady behind the x-ray was totally out of her depth...it was kinda funny.
"Hey Phil, I think this is okay, but I have no idea what this is" As she holds up a plastic test box with some toggle switches, a couple banana plugs, some LED displays...

It took me awhile at detroit to find a place empty enough to putt. For whatever reason, when some people are killing time, they like to sit in the middle of a huge empty space...

So I'm sitting in the Phoenix airport right now waiting for my flight home to Minnesota (I go to college in AZ, so I get great disc golf all year round!), and I just got cleared through security.

I saw something like this in a thread before, but wow, can security be a pain when you've got discs in your bag. They first asked me what "the metal plates in my backpack" were, and then when I told them they were "just frisbees" (said "frisbee" because it's more generally accepted and easier to understand), they took them all out of my backpack and inspected them one by one :wall:

Just crazy. Gotta love airport security these days

When I did some traveling this past summer I took my discs with me they did the same thing. I.E. Taking em out one by one and looking at each disc like it was Alien Technology. I was only slightly embarassed.