• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in Rock Ridge Park, Pittsboro, NC

Just got done playing here. 1-6 and 8-12.

Really fun course and it has come a long way since the last time I was there. Doing some good work boys

Good to hear. I'll get out and try to make some more progress this week. I think 16 needs mucho dragging.

Got out today, and got all the new stuff dragged on 18. There is still some smaller things left to cut, especially in the middle, sight-line gap, but it is looking good. Noah started dragging some more on 17. The Park's guy is supposed to have a large Church group out there next Saturday. I think they will focus on dragging 16 and 17. Some small things to clean up on random holes, and a lot to be done on 16 still. 5 needs some more dragging to clear the piles away from the fairway on 6 and the walking path between the two holes. I've made sure there is no more orange paint for sale between Austin, TX and Pittsboro so we should be able to make some good progress in the next few weeks.

Got out today, and got all the new stuff dragged on 18. There is still some smaller things left to cut, especially in the middle, sight-line gap, but it is looking good. Noah started dragging some more on 17. The Park's guy is supposed to have a large Church group out there next Saturday. I think they will focus on dragging 16 and 17. Some small things to clean up on random holes, and a lot to be done on 16 still. 5 needs some more dragging to clear the piles away from the fairway on 6 and the walking path between the two holes.

That all sounds great, Senor Sloppy.

I've made sure there is no more orange paint for sale between Austin, TX and Pittsboro so we should be able to make some good progress in the next few weeks.

What a great idea. Now you just need to find the warehouse where I keep my orange paint stash...

Got out today, and got all the new stuff dragged on 18. There is still some smaller things left to cut, especially in the middle, sight-line gap, but it is looking good. Noah started dragging some more on 17. The Park's guy is supposed to have a large Church group out there next Saturday. I think they will focus on dragging 16 and 17. Some small things to clean up on random holes, and a lot to be done on 16 still. 5 needs some more dragging to clear the piles away from the fairway on 6 and the walking path between the two holes. I've made sure there is no more orange paint for sale between Austin, TX and Pittsboro so we should be able to make some good progress in the next few weeks.

What time are folks going to be out on Saturday. I might be available to help drag/lop.

Not sure. Paul Horne from the Pittsboro Parks department has organized a Chruch group for that day. I will be out of town all weekend so won't be there. I hope to get out for a few hours a couple times during the week. You can probably contact Paul through the parks department's web site and pin down a time. I think he may have set up a Facebook page too, but I am old and crotchity so I don't have Facebook or a link for you.

Had a late lunch at Pittsboro's City Tap today. A few fine brews on tap and a cool little menu of sandwiches, hot dogs, and custom pretzels. Highly recommended.

Then got out and cut a bunch of Mr. Houck's new victims on 1,2,3,4,17 and 10. The rain and dark held off long enough for me to do some major damage. Word is that Jeff and Noah cut and dragged quite a bit on 5 and 17 over the weekend. If anybody is available I'll be back out there over Easter weekend.

Good Friday update. A couple of us spent almost 3 hours today on #10. We raked the natural pads, and cleared all the small debris we could. We also cut a couple of Mr. Houck's custom designed Pittsboros, and cleared everything newly marked for death. 10 is looking nice now.

For any NC DGers we could use some people out there playing 1-6 and 8-12. Baskets are in and all those holes are very playable. We need some foot traffic, and if you have the energy feel free to pick up any of the pink or orange ribbons you see on cut trees. We're trying to clean up some of the small details and signs of human activity now. Please don't throw the hole 7 as it is a work in progress, and needs some touches to prevent discs from going over the fence line.

If anyone wants to meet out there to get the guided tour and lay of the land let me know.

Things are coming along now. Jeff got the pole and collar installed on #7, and the Parks Dept has planted a few new trees to help make sure discs don't fly over the fence line. That hole is starting to take shape. Plus there is a nice thumber line off the pad! :D

Collar and basket installation should start kicking in pretty soon on all the remaining holes except 16 & 17. Those two still need a lot of dragging.

update 4/10/13

finished 8,9,10,11 -- all cutting done, both short and long pads initial raking done, debris removed from fairways

so...

hole
1 - basket in, both pads raked
2 - basket in, one pad raked
(is there a short pad, I can't find it)
3 - basket in, both pads raked
4 - basket in, long pad needs work, short pad raked
5 - basket in, needs work
6 - basket in, needs work
7 - basket almost in, needs work
8 - basket in, both pads raked
9 - basket in, both pads raked
10 - basket in, both pads raked
11 - basket in, both pads raked
12 - basket in, needs work

raked == initial clearing done but may need stumps removed etc...

13-18 need work

Disc_combobulated and me went out and polished off 18 today. Everything is cut and ready for a basket. The lines are pretty nice with two paths to a decent landing zone. Then you need to make a tough shot through a one of two tight approach lines. Looks good.

We REALLY could use a big upswing in foot traffic out there. In the last week the undergrowth has really taken off. Everything we had beat down and trimmed is growing again. So, we could use some reinforcements with our battle with nature. Please go walk and play Rock Ridge if you are nearby. If you need a guide just PM me and we'll set something up. Hopefully we'll get a day or two with the walk behind trimmer out there again soon.

baskets

fyi, -- baskets are in on 1 through 12 and there is a practice basket by 1. (2/3rds done !!!!)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the hard work out there! Looking forward to scoping the course and helping with the foot traffic as soon as possible.

Come one out. We could even I traduced you the Carolina Brewery or City Tap! If that is up your alley. :)

I'll try and get my Raleigh Group out there this week to stomp around. Anything else we can help with?

Sloppy, I have been incognito on DGCR for a while - looks like you guys are putting in a ton of work. Interested in heading out there Sunday to put in some foot traffic? I haven't been out there, since we had a workday late last year.

There lots of dragging to do also. I'll try to get out there also, and if anyone can help we could knock out a lot of dragging. Let me know what time everybody plans on getting there, and I'll confirm with you once I check out the schedule for kid activities at home.

Ok, I am in for tomorrow morning. Jeff and Noah will be out working tomorrow also. Not sure exactly what time I'll get there, but shooting for early I think. Gotta work this DG stuff in around bike rides.

6 is pretty much done, and 5 should be too. There might be one little tree here and there, but we'll let people play them, and Mr. Houck's review before we cut any more. 5 is still tough, but the approach lines are now better, and give each lane a fair chance. The RHBH lane is sweet looking. We cut some dead stuff and some high branches as well. That line isn't easy, but it's there for those with skills.

Collars are all in so baskets will be installed shortly. Just a matter of time for us to get out there.

16 and 17 are the holes that need the most TLC. Volunteers are welcome. It'll be hot soon, and we'd love to knock everything out as soon as possible.

Latest posts