• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in Rock Ridge Park, Pittsboro, NC

Finally got out there today and played it. Obviously it's not ready yet, but what has been done is fantastic!

Robert, that's great to hear. Jeff, Noah, and Mr. Sloppy have done an amazing job, with a very large supporting cast.

Is 10 a par 4 or 5? Other than that, I thought each par was pretty straight forward (66 with it as a 5, 65 as a 4).

It's a par 4 -- 531' from the blue tee. So you were three-under -- nice round, especially for just seeing it for the first time.

Had 3 dueces, which was nice (4, 8 and 11).

That is nice. #11 especially is a really good deuce.

Looking forward to seeing it in a few years. This should finally be the first championship course in the triangle and it's about time!!!

I remember the first time we were out there, long before I even started the design. You said the triangle needed that kind of course, so I'm glad you think we achieved that goal. I've actually been working on tee signs this afternoon, so in a few weeks the course should have signs to match the quality of the course.

Well, 11 used to be an almost impossible deuce until Mr. Houck opened up that wider hyzer line! ��

Now it is just a tough deuce. Nice shooting MTL. I've been out of town for a few weeks, and hope to get out tomorrow to clean up some more on 14 and maybe 16. IMO Rock Ridge will be really nice sometime later this year. It's getting better all the time, but it is a slow process.

Rumor has it that we would need to be able to fence in the goats. If so, the goat deal may be off. I'll look into it this week and post an update.

There are now some hole and direction signs on trees to help with navigation. That should help first time players quite a bit.

from the website it made it seem like somebody could just watch the goats, you'll have to ask that guy what the deal is.

i put up the signs, when i was losing my phone

Thanks for the signs. I didn't walk the course, but saw a few of them as I headed out to 14 to work.

Ok, who has goat herder experience that can make it to Pittsboro? I don't see myself walking around with a little stick hearding the goats and keeping them out of trouble. :\

Just get some collars, a stake and a rope the goats can't chew through. Hammer the stake down in the middle of the fairway and enough rope to cover the width at least of the fairway and leave the goat be while you do some manual labor elsewhere. Something like goats on holes 1 & 2, work on holes 9 and 10 manually as usual, rotate goats up the next two holes accordingly etc. If you figure the right rotation out/number of goats needed then it should work I think. I've seen Mexicans keep a goat staked out in their yard, keeps their lawn pretty sharp.

Maybe I missed it in the 220+ posts in the thread, but are there hole measurements available for each hole and tee?

Also, anyone plan on posting the course to this site? I understand that it still is a work in progress, but with requiring more traffic - posting it on the site would assist in that goal.

I think Mr Houck has all the measurements as he is providing signs for the course as well as the design. I am not sure what the time frame is for their installation. I also would assume he won't want it listed until it is closer to completion. At least until after some actual tee pads are installed. Plus the signs. I think it should be his call since his name is on the course. Maybe he'll chime in, and let us know.

And if we knew of a big club of local disc golfers that wanted to help knock out the remaining work, the we could do all that a lot sooner. :p

I think Mr Houck has all the measurements as he is providing signs for the course as well as the design. I am not sure what the time frame is for their installation. I also would assume he won't want it listed until it is closer to completion. At least until after some actual tee pads are installed. Plus the signs. I think it should be his call since his name is on the course. Maybe he'll chime in, and let us know.

And if we knew of a big club of local disc golfers that wanted to help knock out the remaining work, the we could do all that a lot sooner. :p

Thank you, Mr. Sloppy, for your usual great consideration. I have discussed the issue with the Town, and we agreed to wait on allowing reviews until after the course is complete and ready to open. Until then, people can say as much as they like here in this thread.

We are finalizing all tee signs with hole lengths and should have all that in about 10 days. For now, I hope you can find that "big club" to help out.

10 days!!!! :eek: :clap:

Very cool. Between those, the navigation aids New013 placed and the flat tee areas things are really coming together. I dropped the last of the big trees on 14. Ran out of gas while cutting up the last one, but it only has about 10' left. We just need to cut up and drag some big stuff, and that hole is pretty much done.

Just a thought for the goats... (if that even is still possible).

Instead of a stake, Tie a really long rope down the middle of the fairway and put the goats on leashes so they can walk up and down the fairway and clear it.

Might work.

really, we care that much about reviews...

Really.... we care THAT much about some reviews? I would think #1 we want more traffic on the course to make it better. Put it up on DGCR with hole lengths / directions and "lock" reviews until such-and-such a date if that can be done or don't read the reviews you don't like. Right now we need LOTS of traffic to knock down weeds/new growth. Reviews be damned IMHO!

Just a thought for the goats... (if that even is still possible).

Instead of a stake, Tie a really long rope down the middle of the fairway and put the goats on leashes so they can walk up and down the fairway and clear it.

Might work.
An extremely worthy 1st post.
Really.... we care THAT much about some reviews? I would think #1 we want more traffic on the course to make it better. Put it up on DGCR with hole lengths / directions and "lock" reviews until such-and-such a date if that can be done or don't read the reviews you don't like. Right now we need LOTS of traffic to knock down weeds/new growth. Reviews be damned IMHO!
You know, I think timg can enable it so that the site can be listed but the reviewing section will be disabled. :confused:

Well, the designer/owner of the course has the decision to make on when to list the course and what they think of reviews. What the rest of us think doesn't really matter. And we all know the old line about butt holes and opinions...

If we want a course listed we just need to fund and build one ourselves.

Well, the designer/owner of the course has the decision to make on when to list the course and what they think of reviews.

Unless timg says differently, this is not correct.

This is a crowd-sourced site, and timg owns it. Oh, and this is "the internet". If somebody wants to list the course, and if somebody wants to do a review, there's literally *nothing* the "course owner" or "course designer" can do about it.

Yes, we're all nice here, and it's a kind community, and there's no sense biting the hand that feeds you. But let's not misstate facts.

And again, timg rules all. So if he says "the designer/owner of the course has the decision", then that's the way it will be, and everything I said is false.

You may be technically correct, but I was hoping we are all big boys, and would respect the designer/owners of courses enough to wait until they listed their course. Yeah, I should know better based on experience, but still sometimes expect better from people.

10 days!!!! :eek: :clap:

Very cool. Between those, the navigation aids New013 placed and the flat tee areas things are really coming together. I dropped the last of the big trees on 14. Ran out of gas while cutting up the last one, but it only has about 10' left. We just need to cut up and drag some big stuff, and that hole is pretty much done.

Mr. Sloppy, let me make sure in case I wasn't clear: within ten days I will have hole lengths for you. I would do it today, but I'm on the road. Signs will be there before the end of the month.

And thanks again for all your consideration, understanding, and of course hundreds of hours of hard work. I am 100% in favor of putting out as much information as we can, and I am in 100% in favor of everyone expressing whatever opinions they have, pro or con, whenever they like, wherever they like. We will just not be posting reviews until the course is completed.

Yeah you shouldn't review a course until it's done.

When I played it last weekend I fully 100% knew it wasn't done and expected it to be very rough. I can't imagine knowing that and then reviewing it.

Latest posts