• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in Rock Ridge Park, Pittsboro, NC

Timg has covered this before, the course owner/designer has control of when a course goes up and when reviews can be added. Timg can add a course and lock the reviews at the discretion of the designer.

So basically it's up to John as it should be.

chicken or egg?

Well, the designer/owner of the course has the decision to make on when to list the course and what they think of reviews. What the rest of us think doesn't really matter. And we all know the old line about butt holes and opinions...

think about it,,, post it now so people go play it and create walking paths, knock down new growth, take all the tics home etc... i.e. make it better -- OR -- wait until it's "READY" then post it so people can play it and the reviews will all say it's rough / overgrown and needs more traffic before it's worth playing.

which comes first the chicken or the egg?

Last edited:
I guess that is an argument you should make to the Pittsboro Parks Dept and Mr Houck, not me. That's all I'm saying. It's their call, not ours. Even if you, I, or the masses think they are wrong.

Besides, people can't take all the ticks home! I already have. They feel like family now. All 3 billion of them. :D

think about it,,, post it now so people go play it and create walking paths, knock down new growth, take all the tics home etc... i.e. make it better -- OR -- wait until it's "READY" then post it so people can play it and the reviews will all say it's rough / overgrown and needs more traffic before it's worth playing.

which comes first the chicken or the egg?

^this was my point, albeit in a more articulate fashion ;) Unless you are on this site or tight with Baldwin and some locals, there is no way to find this course. The park, itself, is easy to miss.

Sloppy, big club to assist? Let me think of one. In all seriousness, we are wanting to do our final monthly here, so we do plan on coming out in advance for a workday. That is the August timeframe, so I will reach out to you and Jeff prior.

Rock Ridge is now up on DGCR, including all hole lengths, pars, and even a few photos. Reviews are disabled for now.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6249

Are tee signs up yet? Just want to say you've done a phenomenal job designing the course. There's a couple holes (mostly just #6) I still don't understand yet but as the course breaks in I'm sure it'll become more obvious.

Also I noticed that the short layout is also listed at par 65, is that right? Doesn't seem right to me.

Are tee signs up yet? Just want to say you've done a phenomenal job designing the course. There's a couple holes (mostly just #6) I still don't understand yet but as the course breaks in I'm sure it'll become more obvious.

Thanks, Davey -- I really appreciate that.

As for tee signs, we've been finalizing all the proofs today, and the signs will be in Pittsboro by the end of the month.

As for Hole #6, I like holes with multiple routes, and I wanted to give Carolina golfers some hole concepts they might not have seen before. Here's a sneak peek at the Blue tee sign that might help you make more sense of the lines.

Attachments

• Hole 6 6-13-13.jpg
    Hole 6 6-13-13.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 17
Also I noticed that the short layout is also listed at par 65, is that right? Doesn't seem right to me.

Well, people can have fun discussing this one.

To me, the Red tees play a par 65 for Red level players. They certainly wouldn't be considered 65 for Blue level players. And the landing areas wouldn't make sense for Blue level players.

We expect there to be a lot of new players in Pittsboro, and the Red tees should provide them with a challenge that makes 65 an appropriate par for them.

now it makes more sense, i couldn't figure out what was going on with the middle route or if you meant for there to be a middle route.

maybe it's just my ability but i feel like there isn't enough height on the far right route to allow a shot to get to the basket; or maybe you designed it that way since for me it seems to be by far the safest and easiest route to take. i thought i threw a pretty good shot twice and was still looking at a 40 footer. though again, it could just be my lack of skill.

as far as par for the reds, the way you put it makes sense if it is par for red level players. though you will definitely get some debate on that.

maybe it's just my ability but i feel like there isn't enough height on the far right route to allow a shot to get to the basket; or maybe you designed it that way since for me it seems to be by far the safest and easiest route to take.

As far as I know (Mr. Sloppy has been very good about giving me work updates), there is still a lot of limbing to do on the course, so they probably haven't yet cut the high limbs on #6.

That's the one hole where a righty who likes to throw a big high hyzer can really let it rip. So eventually you should be well within the circle if you execute well.

as far as par for the reds, the way you put it makes sense if it is par for red level players. though you will definitely get some debate on that.

Glad that makes sense to you. And I'm sure you're right that others will have differing views, which is fine.

To me, the Red tees play a par 65 for Red level players. They certainly wouldn't be considered 65 for Blue level players. And the landing areas wouldn't make sense for Blue level players.

Is that common in disc golf? To cater "par" to the level of the player?

In golf, par is the score an "expert" player is expected to make. So the red tees would likely be all par threes. So what if the players who play the red tees are new and thus not very good - let them make a bunch of 5s for awhile. They're still not likely to make 8s or 9s like they will on 130-yard par threes on a golf course.

I realize that what you shoot relative to "par" changes how you feel about your performance - call a 450-yard hole on a golf course a par five and people will feel better about making a 5 than if you call it a par four - but how much do we need to lie to people in order to make them feel good?

Is that common in disc golf? To cater "par" to the level of the player?

In golf, par is the score an "expert" player is expected to make. So the red tees would likely be all par threes. So what if the players who play the red tees are new and thus not very good - let them make a bunch of 5s for awhile. They're still not likely to make 8s or 9s like they will on 130-yard par threes on a golf course.

iacas, you've probably forgotten more about ball golf than I'll ever know -- your expertise has been demonstrated multiple times. However, I'm not clear on this "par for different tees" concept.

I could be totally wrong, but from the ball courses I've seen, par seems to be set for the level of player expected to play from that tee. In fact, I've seen cases where a single tee will be both the "Blue" and the "Red" tee. But it will be a Blue Par 4 and a Red Par 5. If what you're saying is true, there would never be a case to do this.

(There are also LOTS of examples of the Red (or even Senior) tees on par 5's being WAY forward, and it still is labeled a Par 5. If it were labeled for a flat expert, these would easily be Par 4's.)

I could be totally wrong, but from the ball courses I've seen, par seems to be set for the level of player expected to play from that tee. In fact, I've seen cases where a single tee will be both the "Blue" and the "Red" tee. But it will be a Blue Par 4 and a Red Par 5. If what you're saying is true, there would never be a case to do this.

par_zpsb048acc7.jpg

So you're saying Red tees are specifically "women"? So what are Black tees? Or Gold? Or Green? Is there an "expert" for each of those, and that's what the Par is set to?

I don't see how that's much different than setting par according to skill level.

So you're saying Red tees are specifically "women"? So what are Black tees? Or Gold? Or Green? Is there an "expert" for each of those, and that's what the Par is set to?

I don't see how that's much different than setting par according to skill level.

I'm saying that hole is a par five for women, and a par four for men.

Par doesn't change just because you change tees. The course rating can change (which will change your differential, which then changes your handicap index), but the given par doesn't.

I'm saying that hole is a par five for women, and a par four for men.

So it's okay to have different pars if the skill difference is due to gender. That's what you're saying?

If the skill difference is due to age or newbie-ness, then it's not okay?

Question: At Rock Ridge (the course for this thread), why would you set Par on the Red tees for an "expert" frisbee golfer if "experts" aren't ever expected to play those tees?

grodney2037642]So it's okay to have different pars if the skill difference is due to gender. That's what you're saying?[/quote]

Yep. Women do not - and CAN NOT - hit a golf ball as far as men. There are obviously exceptions, but by and large, it's true.

If the skill difference is due to age or newbie-ness, then it's not okay?

Correct. Why cater to someone who sucks because they're a newbie?

Question: At Rock Ridge (the course for this thread), why would you set Par on the Red tees for an "expert" frisbee golfer if "experts" aren't ever expected to play those tees?

All par threes, possibly some par 2s if there's a short hole without much trouble.

Or just don't assign a par to them if you're worried about hurting people's feelings.

So a newbie shoots 84. What's that problem? That's what they got. Whether that's +12 or +30 shouldn't - and probably doesn't - matter.

I don't care what you "buy" or "see" - open your eyes. It's been done in golf for multiples of the time disc golf has even been around, and it works just fine.

Pick a fight with someone else. I'm not going to feel good about myself for getting a "birdie" on a 420-foot par "five" in disc golf.

Latest posts