• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in Rock Ridge Park, Pittsboro, NC

Seems to me like an overly complicated (and expensive) way of changing par to match a player's ability.

Thanks for posting that, coupe.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't read that as adjusting hole par based on skill level. It seems more to me like adjusting your skill level to match par.

Thanks for posting that, coupe.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't read that as adjusting hole par based on skill level. It seems more to me like adjusting your skill level to match par.

That seems to me as a distinction without a difference, because whichever way you look at it, the result is that "bogey golfers" don't play a course with the goal of shooting the posted par: they play it with the goal of shooting (posted par+1) on every hole. (And, of course, there are the bogey+ players, for whom the goal is to break 100.) So by formally recognizing the concept of "bogey golf" and incorporating it into the handicapping system, the USGA effectively creates a skill-adjusted par, even though they don't call it that.

I'm just going to get a big fat sharpie and re-do all John's signs at Rock Ridge to more accurately reflect true 'Sloppy Disc Par'. There will be quite a few Par 5s and possibly a few Par 7s out there soon enough. :D

That seems to me as a distinction without a difference, because whichever way you look at it, the result is that "bogey golfers" don't play a course with the goal of shooting the posted par: they play it with the goal of shooting (posted par+1) on every hole. (And, of course, there are the bogey+ players, for whom the goal is to break 100.) So by formally recognizing the concept of "bogey golf" and incorporating it into the handicapping system, the USGA effectively creates a skill-adjusted par, even though they don't call it that.

Fair enough. Let me try again. since this discussion was originally about whether the red tees and blue tees should show the same par. The USDGA isn't saying that the par should change on the tee signs; they're essentially saying "If your a bogey golfer, it's OK to shoot a bogey."

are the signs up yet, thinking about going out there later his afternoon or tomorrow for a round.

Well the front 9 looks great, most of the crap in the fairways is starting to take a beating. Kudos to everyone working hard out there. The back 9 is a different story, the rain has caused the green stuff to go in kudzu mode; especially on 15 and 16. The rain is really doing a number out there on parts of the course. There were a couple of pads where the guy carved them in to the hill that are now being eroded by a stream. 8 was the worst, there was a literal stream running out of the hill onto the front of the pad and it had eroded it and started to pool. There's also a small pond now in that low spot on 12. I honestly can not remember the last time we got so much rain in a summer.

I shot a 62 and I'm not sure if that's the course record but it's the record on here... even though only Mike and I have entered a score. I sure felt pretty damn good about it even though I missed a couple maddening putts. I had a 25' putt for a 4 on 17 and I clanked it.... that didn't feel good. I did birdie 6, 7, 9, 10 and 13. I thought I'd be happier about a birdie on 7 but it felt pretty routine since I took the left route after finding a thumber gap off the tee. My birdie on 10 was extremely satisfying. I flexed my PD out off the tee and curved it right around that last tree in the fairway where it turns, then had a not so difficult upshot.

There's still some areas where I thought I had the line right but caught some upper limbs that aggrivated me but eventually that stuff will either get knocked down or somebody will trim it.

So now I've birdied 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13. I'll get them all eventually.

Last edited:
Don't worry about 12. It has flooded before. We have a plan in place to trench and possibly bridge that hole. We just figured it would be Ok until fall. Never expected this much rain in the summer. Oh well, it'll go away eventually. 15-17 all need so e TLC, and the crew is aware. I have been travelling for work or on vacation for several weeks so I have not been out there. I should be able to get out this weekend so I'll update if I do.

Nice shooting New! But we're replacing the baskets with Bullseye's next week. Hope your putting is up to snuff. ;)

Oh yeah, I found a pale pinkish Glide on 15. I also only had 4 ticks and I put zero bug spray on, the trick was that I put a protection spell on myself before the round. The protection spell was basically some hippie **** I made up.

Now you must build a large bonfire, and sacrifice the ticks to the DG Gods. The entire process involves some charred meat and some chilled adult beverages. Then you must burn the ticks while chanting the secret Rock Ridge code. Good luck.

Oh yeah, I found a pale pinkish Glide on 15. I also only had 4 ticks and I put zero bug spray on, the trick was that I put a protection spell on myself before the round. The protection spell was basically some hippie **** I made up.

yea!!!! You found my glide -- Going to Sasquatch? If yes, bring it.

Got out to play a round today after not seeing the course for almost a month. There are a couple trees down on one that need to be cleared, but they don't impact play much. Just some minor storm damage. Pads all seem to be in good shape still. There is now a bridge at the transition from 4 to 5, hole 11, and two on 17. Very nice. The standing water on 12 is mostly drained. It is much better than I anticipated. 14 and 15 have enough low growth to be real disc eaters in spots. Throw bright colors off those tees. The entire fairway isn't bad, but theyboth have some nice 1-2' growth in areas.

Now to the good stuff. I bagged an easy deuce on 8. No big deal. Then I grip locked a disc right into the pines on 15. That SOB sailed through about 4,000 tight pines, came out the other side and landed within 10' off the basket for another birdie. I'll never make that shot again. I wasn't great, but mostly stayed on fairways, and made all the easy putts. Shot a 65. Must be this course is too easy! :D

New013 still has me though. Plus without a few really lucky shots I was probably over 70. I think I shot a 72 last time I played it.

Got out here today with New and played the full 18 for the first time.

Really cool course. With some more love(mostly high limbing) it's going to be great! I enjoyed the course and my round of -3 felt really good for playing blind. Can't wait to come back an play again when it's more mature

Cool, and good to hear. I haven't been put there much lately due to work travel and kid activities. Glad that you enjoyed it. I plan on getting out a bunch more this Fall to help finish it off, and handle all the final touches. How'd 16 and 17 look to you guys?

Bout the same as the rest. Need High limbing and Loppers. Seemed to be the theme on the course for the most part.

17 looks a lot better on the left route from the last time i was there. i still haven't even attempted the right route. i can tell somebody did clean up 16 right at the landing area where it bends a bit although i think that area could be thinned out some more because i foresee a lot of people going long on that fairway and not making the turn tight enough towards the basket. i'm not saying take anymore trees down just the foilage on the ground in that area.

i agree with Pat that high limbing is the biggest concern as of now. 11 is a great example you can't even really hit the left route because of the limbs at the end. i also still think the hyzer route on 6 needs some limbing to make that route more reasonable. as of now my route of choice is the middle left anny route.

i know TCP is going out there this Sunday to help out. hopefully the extra manpower can really put a dent in to some of these final touches.

any idea when the pads will be poured and the signs installed?

the other thing i've been wanting to ask John about is on 5 from the longs you have the two trees making the center and right routes thinkers. i'm okay with the center route having that blocking tree because it's the most direct route and shouldn't be easy, however the tree blocking the right route doesn't really make sense to me. the right route is by far the longest and most indirect route of all three so i think choosing that option off the tee should be more appealing and with that tree there i would never even consider it.

Yea I agree. Hole 5 was the only one that didn't make sense to me.

Finally got back out to Rock Ridge to play a round with Noah today. The TCP club ( thamks Mike!) from the Raleigh area helped out a week or so ago, and the Pittsboro Parks Dept hired a good equipment operator to do some work. Plus Paul has been gradually spraying round up on the heavy grape vine areas. Things are really looking good. A huge portion of the fairway have been dragged and cleared of stumps. Weed growth is way down, and now so are the ticks! There is still a lot of high limbs and fine tuning to go, but the course is looking really good. Thanks to all the volunteers that have helped since I've been slacking off on other things.

Speaking of TCP we're having our final singles monthly for the season tomorrow starting at Rock Ridge and then round 2 at DB's. Registration is from 9 to 9:30 and it's $9 entry with a $1 ace pool if you choose.

This is probably the first organized singles at Rock Ridge so come on out; we're playing the longs of course. If you don't know what or where DBs is it's a private course about 20 minutes from Rock Ridge near Moncure, NC. You can get directions or follow someone from Rock Ridge if you show up.

Latest posts