• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf June marathons?

gregorco

My brothers and I started an annual tradition last year to try to fit in as many different courses as possible in a long June day. We're in the northern Virginia area so there are a good concentration of courses in the region, and given a long June day and hitting hole 1 of the first course at 5:10AM we were able to get nine courses completed before it got too dark at 8:50PM.

The order in which we completed them was:
1. Pohick 18 Holes
2. Giles Run 18 Holes
3. Burke. 18 Holes
4. Bull Run 18 Holes
5. Darnestowne 18 Holes
6. Seneca 27 Holes
7. Calvert 18 Holes
8. Bluemont 9 Holes
9. McLean 9 Holes
-------------------------------
for a total of 153 holes

Afternoon rush hour traffic and time spent searching for discs robbed us of potentially one more course.

We may try for a winter marathon day this winter. At least that way we'd have a better chance of locating discs in the dead brush, and wouldn't suffer in the June heat.

This site was helpful in locating and mapping out a path to do a cluster of courses.

Cheers.

The las vegas disc golf club holds an annual event called 100 Holes From Hell every June. They add a basket to the 24 hole layout at Sunset Park, and play through it 4 times. Having played 48 holes there yesterday, and being completely spent after that much time in the heat, I can't even imagine playing for that long. I believe it's this Saturday.

I'm planning a similar marathon when I go to visit my brother next month, we're not quite as ambitious, aiming for 99 holes:

1. Burke
2. Giles
3. Pohick
4. Seneca
5. Calvert

The Vegas heat might be too much for me but maybe a good hat and lots of Gatorade could make it possible. The 153 holes tested our patience and there were lots of curse words heard from those woods that day, but it was worth it. For those playing Giles this time of year the brush is high and very dense. We lost two discs because we neglected to always have the other run ahead and spot for the thrower, and we neglected to bring a long-handled garden hoe to move the brush aside.

The Vegas heat might be too much for me but maybe a good hat and lots of Gatorade could make it possible. The 153 holes tested our patience and there were lots of curse words heard from those woods that day, but it was worth it. For those playing Giles this time of year the brush is high and very dense. We lost two discs because we neglected to always have the other run ahead and spot for the thrower, and we neglected to bring a long-handled garden hoe to move the brush aside.

Sounds like you had fun! I drank an entire gallon of water yesterday. I also covered myself with SPF 30, and still managed to get sunburned on my shoulders and calves. I'm breakin' out the SPF 50 next time. Considering the fact that I was only there from 9:30am to 2:00pm, I just can't imagine doing that from 8am to 8pm like they're scheduled to this Saturday ..:gross: .. 4pm is the hottest time of the day.

Latest posts