• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc golf kids

Great pics guys.
Our twin boys just turned 6 months. They've been strolled through the course several times so far. I have not given them any minis to chew on, but that will change tonight when we get home.
I can't wait til they get old enough to walk along with.

Update to previous: Wyatt threw a mini 15 ft!!

...down the stairs :wink:

Stuff like this makes me rethink my decision to not have kids. Im only 23 so who knows, that could change.

My 2 year old loves to putt with me in the back yard. Of course he always moves to a few feet away so he can make it. My 12 year old has a bag full of drivers and mids, but generally only comes to the field with me to practice. She is very stubborn and gets frustrated when it doesn't go as far as she wants(don't know where she gets it from)

She came with me to the course the other day and I had her approaching from my drives, that seemed to help. My 10 year old doesn't show much interest at all. I try to not push any of them to do it, but my oldest does seem to be getting more into it. She tried to pick up a 150 valkyrie at the store the other day, but I told her we won't be buying her any drivers until she starts playing more consistently(don't worry I have plenty of chic discs for her)

Good approach. i hope your oldest daughter has a putter :) I always recommend thin putters for ladies and children for easier grip. The usual suspects are Innova XD and Latitude 64 Spike. Having an easier grip from a thinner disc removes some stress from putting and makes for an easier, more relaxed and more enjoyable experience. And a less strained arm so you can play more or more often and not hurt so easily.

A 150 Leopard is touchier but has way less power requirement than the 150 Valk.

Kids are good at imitation so if you can get someone good to throw some example shots and look at your throws your children should be off to a good start. And who doesn't want more distance now? :-D You can also spy great players on video. Slow motion makes things easier to see in some parts of the form so i recommend going to Youtube and checking out each video many times over on the channel mfranssila. Some of the videos on the channel lcgm8 too have slo mo footage.

My daughter is going to be 2 in October and she's really starting to get into minis and lately she's been dropping them into the mini basket (instead of cautiously placing them in there). I've been taking her on the course with me in a jogging stroller since she was 6 months old and she's always been a happy camper. She also likes to pick up the putts that I miss from around my practice basket and drop them in...or run away with them. I can't wait to get her playing for really real.

It would be great if disc manufacturers started to think about making discs that fly well for small hands. It's great to get kids involved early, but the rims and weights are simply not good for them until they're teenagers. Something for pre-teen years would definitely help.

Spread the idea, and maybe it'll catch!

My son is going to play in his first tourney tomorrow afternoon/evening. He's only 7 and rather small for his age, but he said he wants to go and play in one. So, we have been practicing with his 149g Lat64 Diamon and his 160g Organic Wizard all of this week. I will try to get a pic or video of him tomorrow and post it up in here. You'll can critique his throwing style :lol:

My daughter 10, played in her first two tournaments last week. The second one was a 2 round 36 hole job, she did well, but was a little beat up and sloppy on the last 9 holes.

She actually got me started on disc golf. I played a few summers back in the late 80's, but it never caught on with me. She went through the Innova Edge program at school last November and kinda caught the bug. We bought some discs and went out to the local to play a few holes. The few holes turned into 18, which turned into 6 days straight. 200+ rounds and 10 touneys later i have lost 50 pounds and I am as addictaded as I've ever been about anything. Love that kid, she want to go to the Am Worlds next year.

My son turns 3 next week and he can probably throw farther than you

photobucket-2850-1315707009166.jpg

i took my son (7) to random doubles with me the other night and he had a blast. he would tee off between the teams and just through from our spots sometimes. On one hole after my partnet and both chained out 40' putts my son stepped up and canned it with his dragon.