• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf lingo

Weyums3

Bogey Member
So this year I am taking it more serious I learned what hyzer and anhyzer mean, I also know what over and understable mean.

I am now trying to figure out what flip and turn over is, and what the difference is. Like in this sentence "I'm looking for a fairly straight flying disc that might want to flip but can't. So something that turns just a little. " What does this mean, can someone please explain flip, and flippy, and turn over to me?

Oh Jesus, You guys please be nice.

Stick with your Leopard , Practice, Practice, Practice. Good luck Brother.

Turn refers to high speed turn. Throw an overstable disc RHBH flat, and it will go straight for a while, and fade left. Throw an understable disc RHBH flat, and if you get it up to speed, it will actually turn to the right. Depending on the disc, how hard it was thrown, and perhaps most importantly, one's techniques technique (or lack thereof), it might fade back to the left as it slows (S-shot) or it could hold the line and continue it's glide to the right.
^ That is high speed turn or what people refer to as a disc "turning over." A flight that starts out straight, but then turns to the right for RHBH, or to the left for RHFH, in opposite of the direction which it will fade when it slows down. If your a lefty, just switch things like a mirror image.

Flipping refers to the hyzer flip. So you know that hyzer means throwing the disc with the outside edge angled downward, rather than flat. With a disc that's stable or neutral, it will hold that hyzer line throughout the flight. If you throw a understable disc on a hyzer line with sufficient velocity, it will not hold a hyzer line. In the example above, the disc turned over. On a hyzer flip, the disc must first "flip" up to horizontal from the hyzer angle it was thrown on. Depending on the disc's stability and velocity, it might continue to "flip" and turn to the right (as above) or it may only flip up to flat, and continue to go straight until it slows and fades back to the left.

All discs break in and lose some stability with time and punishment. Once they've lost a good deal of their original stability when new, people refer to them as "flippy." Keep in mind that flippy is relative to the disc's original stability. A "flippy" Firebird or Predator may have lost a great deal of its original stability, but since they're so overstable to begin with, they still probably aren't truly understable.

Hope that helps.

There! Was I nice enough? :p

Last edited:
Hyzer - Releasing the disc with the outter edge at an angle lower than parallel to the ground. This will cause the most discs to curve to the left.
Anhyzer - Releasing the disc with the outter edge at an higher than parallel to the ground. This will cause the most discs to curve to the right.
High Speed Turn - The characteristic of a disc to curve to the right at the beginning of its flight when thrown hard.
Low Speed Fade - The natural tendency of a disc to tail left as it slows down at the end of its flight.
Overstable - A term used to describe the relative resistance to high speed turn and amount of low speed fade of a disc. A more overstable disc will generally have higher resistance to turn and greater low speed fade.
Understable - A term used to describe a disc with relatively low resistance to high speed turn and less low speed fade.
Turnover - The term used to describe the flight of a disc that curves to the right when thrown flat or at hyzer. A less overstable or understable disc will generally be easier to turn over.
Nose Down - Releasing the disc with the front end of the disc lower than the back end. Certain discs will fly better when thrown nose down.
Nose Up - Releasing the disc with the front end of the disc higher than the back end.
Stall Out - A term used to describe the flight of a disc when it peaks in height and drops off to the left without much glide. This generally occurs when the disc is thrown with the nose up.
S-Curve - A term used to describe the flight of a disc when it begins by turning to the right and then "flexes" out and glides back to the left.
Roller - A type of throw where the disc is turned over so far that it lands on its edge and rolls.
Snap - A term used to describe the armspeed and power a player gets into their throw. More snap will generally make the disc fly faster and further.

If you don't already please learn the difference between stable & overstable. Those words are not interchangeable.

Check out this thread for Disc Golf Terms... some legit and useful, some nonsensical, some probably downright stupid, some may even be regional, but there's good info in the thread.

BogeyNoMore and DiscinFiend, great answers.

hE0CE0EC1

Latest posts