• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pet Peeves

when tee signs are placed perpendicular to the tee instead of facing the direction of play. tee signs in front of the tee bother me but not as much as that.

Sharpie on signs, benches, tables, etc. is another big peeve of mine.
Do we really need more "Disc Charging Stations"? :wall:

I think this has got to be a little kid thing. They love to over-copy stuff.
Last May I saw 1 or 2, last weekend every single bench/stump/table had one.

when tee signs are placed perpendicular to the tee instead of facing the direction of play. tee signs in front of the tee bother me but not as much as that.

Have a course in town where one of the tee signs is faced the opposite way compared to all other signs. To make matters worse you will see a reasonably placed basket in that direction for a latter hole. The hills and wild grass don't make it obvious the direction on that portion of the course either. The realization will likely come when you get to the basket and see the hole number on it...

I like to play my casual rounds as if I am in a tourney. I don't like playing with someone that throws 3 or 4 discs on every tee pad.

I respect that, but I am one of those people who you wouldn't want to play with. I just quit playing with a group who treat their "casual rounds" as you do. I find it to be a joyless experience. If I want to play a serious competitive round I'll sign up for a tournament. This is why my pet peeve is bag tags. They turn every round into a friendly, but not really friendly competition.
My idea of a casual round is more like what you see on a Jomez Practice Round; alot of conversation and experimenting with discs and shots.

I respect that, but I am one of those people who you wouldn't want to play with. I just quit playing with a group who treat their "casual rounds" as you do. I find it to be a joyless experience. If I want to play a serious competitive round I'll sign up for a tournament. This is why my pet peeve is bag tags. They turn every round into a friendly, but not really friendly competition.
My idea of a casual round is more like what you see on a Jomez Practice Round; alot of conversation and experimenting with discs and shots.

Whoever has the most fun wins, not the person with the lowest score.

The beauty is, there's room for everyone to play the way they like, provided they are aware of, respectful of, and show common courtesy to others.

I play rather casual rounds with some folks, while playing tourney style with others. As long as you don't hold others up taking multiple throws...

... or slow faster groups down by playing at 'tourney pace.

Regardless how you play, be aware of others and always do your part to improve traffic on the course. Everyone wins. :)

Whoever has the most fun wins, not the person with the lowest score.
For quite a few, the most fun means having the lowest score. Steady Ed's tenet works for them, too. ;).

The key is to play with folks who want to play the same way you do.

Last edited:
Well said, amigo!

I really am just trying to make golfers remember that playing though is a courtesy, not a right.

Not sure I agree with the spirit of this. I can agree that nobody can demand playing through by right, but it should be considered mandatory to let a group play through if they are being forced to wait due to your pace of play. It isn't out of good graces, it is to be expected. It is like those people that ride the left lane going the speed limit. Yes you are driving legally, but you are also being a jerk.

My pet peeve is groups that tee off lightning fast but play slow as molasses. You can never catch them on the teepad to play through.

Maybe I should have been more clear.when I am playing with some one in a casual round, I don't look at it as if I am playing against them, I am playing against the course. I just don't ever throw more than one drive. I prefer my playing partner do the same.

But the opposite is so true too... is there anything better than playing through and throwing a perfect shot?

Many years ago, my son and I were playing Bonnie Brooke (RIP'd :(), and cought up to a group of five on #17... a 151 ft hole that featured an 8ft fence across the fairway, that forced you to throw over it, but also had some top heavy, bushy trees, so you really had to plan (and execute) a route to the pin.

The guys kindly offered to let us play through, and I threw my FLX Challenger over the fence on a high, soft, annie flex line, and it floated right down into the basket, hitting right side chains.

The only thing better than having that group of 5 watch it, was sharing that moment with my son, and him seeing their reaction to it as well. :D

Truly an "It doesn't get any better than this," moment.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/scorecard_share.php?rid=328787

But the opposite is so true too... is there anything better than playing through and throwing a perfect shot?

Several years ago I was driving through a town and stopped and played solo on an unfamiliar course. I caught up to two guys on hole 4's tee and they let me play through. It was a blind shot and they described to me where the basket was, about 260 feet from the tee and back into the woods on the left. I threw in a skip ace and we all celebrated. I walked the hole with them and they signed my disc and pointed me to the next tee. Those were the only other people I saw on that course that day.

Not sure I agree with the spirit of this. I can agree that nobody can demand playing through by right, but it should be considered mandatory to let a group play through if they are being forced to wait due to your pace of play. It isn't out of good graces, it is to be expected. It is like those people that ride the left lane going the speed limit. Yes you are driving legally, but you are also being a jerk.

My pet peeve is groups that tee off lightning fast but play slow as molasses. You can never catch them on the teepad to play through.

Many of the courses around here have posted rules around the first tee. And they all have a "let faster players play through" rule.

I guess my biggest pet peeve are off leash dogs.

Another one are the people that insist on playing with you and want to argue when you decline and wait for you at the next tee. This was especially annoying during prime pandemic time. I'm playing by myself and wearing a mask outside in a giant park. Learn to read the crowd. I probably don't want to play with you.

Pars for individual disc golf holes. There's no definition! Course par maybe could work?

/QUOTE]

It's actually illegal in at least 8 states to drive in the left lane when you are not passing someone or making a left turn.

Latest posts