• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Questionnaire

Blaaaake77

Bogey Member
Hey everyone, I am in the process of starting up a disc golf store and down the road here a new course. I am looking to get some research done for the shop and need some answers to some questions if you have time. Thank you in advanced for the help hope to see y'all on the course! :clap:

1. How old are you?

2. What state do you reside in?

3. Number of years playing?

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag?

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront?

6. What is the most you can justify spending on a 'thrower' disc?

7. Have you been in a disc golf exclusive (disc golf only) store?

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs?

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for?

Thanks, stay on lookout for another round of questions coming down the road! I appreciate you taking some time to answer these questions for me!

1. How old are you?

MN

online (Marshall Street)

$25, but the price must be within typical pricing conventions for that plastic

Yes, GGGT

Bags

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for?

20 minutes for GGGT

Thanks, stay on lookout for another round of questions coming down the road! I appreciate you taking some time to answer these questions for me!

Where are you opening a store and where are you looking to build a course?

Where are you opening a store and where are you looking to build a course?

Here in MN, still up in the air on store front location as of now. We are living in the north metro area looking at all options. Course will be built up north, were looking around Brainerd area but not exclusively sold on that area. Need to do some more course research but would like to have a shop in the northern metro area if everything falls into place!

Blake,
Good luck on your project, it sounds interesting

1. How old are you?

MO

18 or 19 - all of them...

90% Online, 10% brick & mortar store

$20

NO

Bags, baskets, apparel, minis, zipper pulls, stickers, patches, umbrellas, waterproof socks, water bottles, maybe some of the most popular shoes (Keen, Merrel, Salomon). Some people may be interested in collectible items, like signed discs, but that's not really my thing...

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what you're looking for?
30-45 minutes from my house. But, if I knew I was going to be in MN (for example) I would try to get to the store if I had time and it was within an hour of where I was staying. Furthermore, if I were looking to take a disc golf trip and was deciding between a few cities, the store could help persuade me to choose the city as long as the quality/quantity of courses were otherwise equal.

Additional Commentary
> Brick and mortar will attract mostly locals, but if you want a successful business plan, I suggest focusing on online shoppers. In this case, exact weights, colors, and plastic types are important.

> Frequent buyer promotions will help with customer loyalty.

> Free $5 gift (mini, sticker, patch, zipper pull, etc.) with every purchase over $75 would be a good promotion for online shoppers. We all want more value from our purchases.

> You could also offer course/club amenities from your location and wouldn't necessarily be relegated to the local scene (club bag tags, custom stamped discs, branded merch (towels, apparel, etc.), course development (design, installation, tee signs, etc.)

> Posting local leaderboards for the local courses would be cool. Have top (tournament) rounds recorded for each division at each course on a whiteboard or something.

> A practice basket, and open field driving range could also help with disc testing for locals.

> So, say I come in looking for "X" disc and you don't have it in the weight/color/plastic I want. You should have a computer station that allows users to order the specific disc they want on the spot. The logistics would take a little planning, but it would create brand loyalty, and keep them from using a competitor site/store.

> I would also offer the opinion that a store will be most successful if it is located on a course, or within 5 minutes of a popular course.

1. How old are you?

NC

27 and 27

$15

Yes

Apparel, carts, stools, birdie bags

Unless it's in my hometown, I would not.

see above.

1. How old are you? 14

2. What state do you reside in? wisconsin

3. Number of years playing? 2

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag? 13/13

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront? both

6. What is the most you can justify spending on a 'thrower' disc? 9-18$

7. Have you been in a disc golf exclusive (disc golf only) store? not before, but planning to go to one.

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? Better discs

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for? 1 hour drive

1. How old are you? 17 years

2. What state do you reside in? Good old Nebraska

3. Number of years playing? Coming up on 3 years playing. Still a disc golf baby

4. How many discs? I cary 13 discs for every round.

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Majority is online, but i got a buy 10 discs get one free card so I mean to shop at the local Play it Again

6. What is the most you can justify spending on a 'thrower' disc? $30 is pushing it for a special run of disc.

7. Have you been in a disc golf exclusive (disc golf only) store? Nope :(

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? Minis, bags, carts and maybe discgolf shoes?

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for? One hour if the trip had multiple reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) 22

2) South Carolina (Clemson student, Grand Central Station DGC is basically my extended backyard)

3) 4 years and a couple months

4) 21 (4 mids, 3 throwing putters, 4 putting putters [2 main, 1 superft for touchy approaches, 1 beat to heck one for longer putts], 6 fairway/control, and 4 distance drivers). A couple of those are duplicates, but I like carrying everything. I pretty much always carry my full bag as well. Lots of backups and extra discs too, but I don't carry those

5) Somewhat depends. I usually purchase online (unique stamps, factory only releases, and if I can't find the disc in a store), but like to try to get a disc or two whenever I'm at a store if they have something I want and I can afford it.

6) $20, primarily for unique stamps or tourney stamps. Otherwise I try to stay at $15 and under, but will occasionally spring for star plastic.

7) Yes, multiple stores like this.

8) A selection of bags is nice, although I have a Grip A14 so not personally useful. Hand drying bags (Sportsacks, Birdie bags etc), towels, hats and shirts, minis, and other assortments are good to see and I'll occasionally pick up something like this, but the main attraction is the discs.

9) I would travel maybe 20 miles just for the store; if there's a good course close by, I could probably justify about an hour, hour and a half. The IDGC is about 2 hours from me, but my parents' house is an hour away, so I usually make it part of my trip home if I'm going there.

1. How old are you?
WA
storefront
$20
Yes. Mandos and Chainbangerz
bags, clothes, food, lights for discs, disc retrieving tools, beer, a nice employee
30-50miles
Thanks, stay on lookout for another round of questions coming down the road! I appreciate you taking some time to answer these questions for me![/QUOTE]

1. How old are you?

Oregon

About 50/50. It all depends on where I find the specific disc I'm looking for.

$20, but that's pretty rare.

Yes

Bags, towels, random accessories.

Maybe 20 minutes. It's hard to want to travel far when there's so much variety online.

I'll second what someone else said about having the store at the course or at least close by. You can get alot of business from people just going to play then think "Maybe I should stop in and see what they have."

1. How old are you?

OH

11-12 right now, could be up to 18

90% Online, 10% brick & mortar store

$20

Yes, many.

Used discs. I love rooting through other people's throwaways.
T-Shirts from local events, both cotton and technical fabric.
Minis (again, with local event stamps).
Bags and carts
Cool accessories like vinyls and patches

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what you're looking for?
Possibly an hour's drive, but only if there's a course near the course. If I'm traveling to another city, I usually seek out the local pro shop and visit it.

Additional Commentary
Discs are tough. There are great e-comm sites that give excellent selection and low/free shipping. Most shops I've been to have pretty limited selection of colors and weights, and the more experienced I get the pickier I get.

Having said that, I do love to see what a shop has to offer. As stated above, I try to visit courses and shops when I travel. The best shop for selection I've been to is Marshall Street, their inventory is huge due to their online presence. I really like Hazy Shade in Dayton, easily the best brick-and-mortar only store I've been in.

1. How old are you? 37

2. What state do you reside in? WI

3. Number of years playing? 12

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag? 18-20 in a backpack bag for most rounds, sometimes a putter/mid/driver trio for quick local rounds

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront? Both

6. What is the most you can justify spending on a 'thrower' disc? $20

7. Have you been in a disc golf exclusive (disc golf only) store? Yes

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? Apparel, bags, towels. If I'm traveling, a store/local course logo'd hat or shirt is a likely purchase

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for? 30-45 minutes away, but I'll always consider destination stores when planning out trips.

1. How old are you?

NC

Depends on practice (35+) or comp (22)

New, online. Used, storefront

$15.99

No

baskets, bags, minis

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for?1 hr, 50mi

1. How old are you? 29

2. What state do you reside in? WI

3. Number of years playing? 11

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag? 22

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront? Neither. Pandamonium Discs. Thats it.

6. What is the most you can justify spending on a 'thrower' disc? $100

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? Clothing

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for? 10min

Here you go:

Hey everyone, I am in the process of starting up a disc golf store and down the road here a new course. I am looking to get some research done for the shop and need some answers to some questions if you have time. Thank you in advanced for the help hope to see y'all on the course! :clap:

1. How old are you?
Michigan
$18
yes
apparel, bags, driving cage with radar gun, putting room, stripper pole(s)
60 miles

1. How old are you?
OH
A little over 1
Usually 12 or so
Both, though it's maybe 60-40 between Hazy Shade & Marshall Street
$18 is about it
Yep, Hazy Shade is 15 minutes away from my house
Bags & minis
Maybe 30-45 minutes

1. How old are you? 30

2. What state do you reside in? NY

3. Number of years playing? 14

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag? 7-25 course dependent

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront? Online

6. What is the most you can justify spending on a 'thrower' disc? ~40

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? Bags, minis

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for? 30 miles

1. How old are you? 53

2. What state do you reside in? Michigan

3. Number of years playing? 33

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag? 22

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront? Mostly players packs these days, second most in the marketplace here, then online.

6. What is the most you can justify spending on a 'thrower' disc? 20 bucks

7. Have you been in a disc golf exclusive (disc golf only) store? Yup, several times.

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? Bags, apparel

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for? 30 miles

Latest posts