• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Shoes!!!

Shoes for the disc golf are definitely a 'get what you pay for' scenario. Lots of walking on often rugged terrain, twisting and torqueing the shoe with each run-up, mud, water, rocks, etc... You can certainly put a beating on a good pair of shoes in no time. I've always used either trail-runners or lightweight hikers. Gore-Tex or eVent linings can make a shoe substantially more expensive, but definitely keep your feet drier. I personally prefer the better ventilation you get from a non-GTX/eVent shoe and don't mind my feet getting a little damp. A couple of years ago I switched over to La Sportiva for all my trail running/hiking footwear and have loved them on the course as well. Plenty durable for disc golf (I've busted a few pairs trail running, but I'm much rougher on my footwear then), and the traction is amazing. Plus, they're made in European sizing, which is a smaller size interval than the US system. I wear a 10-10.5 US but their 43.5 Euro size fits me better than anything else I've owned.

Shoes for the disc golf are definitely a 'get what you pay for' scenario. Lots of walking on often rugged terrain, twisting and torqueing the shoe with each run-up, mud, water, rocks, etc... You can certainly put a beating on a good pair of shoes in no time. I've always used either trail-runners or lightweight hikers. Gore-Tex or eVent linings can make a shoe substantially more expensive, but definitely keep your feet drier. I personally prefer the better ventilation you get from a non-GTX/eVent shoe and don't mind my feet getting a little damp. A couple of years ago I switched over to La Sportiva for all my trail running/hiking footwear and have loved them on the course as well. Plenty durable for disc golf (I've busted a few pairs trail running, but I'm much rougher on my footwear then), and the traction is amazing. Plus, they're made in European sizing, which is a smaller size interval than the US system. I wear a 10-10.5 US but their 43.5 Euro size fits me better than anything else I've owned.

Agreed on the La Sportivas. Still have a pair of Wildcats (about a year and a half old), and a pair of Wildcat 2.0s on the way. Went with the GoreTex for the 2.0s...

Agreed on the La Sportivas. Still have a pair of Wildcats (about a year and a half old), and a pair of Wildcat 2.0s on the way. Went with the GoreTex for the 2.0s...

Wildcats were my first pair of La Sportivas and I loved them. Unfortunately, when I ordered them online, I looked at the sizing conversion wrong and got the wrong size. They were snug but I wore them for a whole summer until I started breaking through on the pinky toe side of each shoe. Replaced those with Ultra Raptors which I absolutely love. Built to be a little more rugged than the Wildcats but with the same great sole underneath.

Picked up a pair of Merrell all out blaze. I first got the waterproof version. They are not breathable in the least. I exchanged them for the non wp, and am very happy with them. Light weight, comfortable, great traction. Definitely a step up from the moabs that they replaced.

I've tried a bunch of different 'disc golf" shoes, including Keen, Merrell, and Salomon. The Merells are heavier but they last forever. Those turned out to be my choice. But I gained weight due to back problems/surgery and started getting blisters with all normal width shoes, so I am just wearing New Balance at the moment. I'm doing Atkins now and lost 17 pounds already in less than 3 weeks. Once I get back to normal size I will go back to Merrells.

Just got the new Keen Nasu WP (same as the Marshall). I only have 3 rounds on them, but so far I love them. I'm coming from a pair of Merrell Moab (non-WP) and it's night and day for me. The Merrells didn't last one season for me, and my feet were always wet when I played in bad weather, or even just the morning dew. The soles started coming apart on me after 2 months. Here's to hoping the Keens hold up better and the saying of you get what you pay for holds true!

I've been wearing a pair of North Face Blazes since last summer. Waterproofing works well and the traction is great, but they are really uncomfortable and seem to offer minimal side-to-side stability.
So I just picked up a pair of Salomon XA pro 3D. I haven't golfed in them yet, but just wearing them around I love the comfort. I have long, narrow feet so Keens are out and I've never found a shoe from Merrell that fits well. It seems the consensus is that the Salomons won't hold up, but has anyone tried this particular model? Wondering specifically about durability and wet teepad traction...

I've been wearing a pair of North Face Blazes since last summer. Waterproofing works well and the traction is great, but they are really uncomfortable and seem to offer minimal side-to-side stability.
So I just picked up a pair of Salomon XA pro 3D. I haven't golfed in them yet, but just wearing them around I love the comfort. I have long, narrow feet so Keens are out and I've never found a shoe from Merrell that fits well. It seems the consensus is that the Salomons won't hold up, but has anyone tried this particular model? Wondering specifically about durability and wet teepad traction...

They are still the most comfortable DG shoes I've ever owned. However, the sole began to peel away from the upper within three months, and the plastic in between the sole and the upper near the toes chips away. I've glue what I could back together, and I'll still use them casually and for certain tournaments, but they're not going to be durable for frequent DG use.

All right, thanks for that. I'm not hard on shoes the way some around here seem to be, but worst-case, I've found a pretty good every day shoe then.

I've gone through a couple of pairs of the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX (longest product name ever?) and pretty much wore them as my everyday sneaker for 3 years. Durability-wise, I never had a problem with the shoes construction and they could easily take the twisting and torque put on them by disc golf. The only reason I stopped wearing them was because as trail-runners/hikers, the tread would wear out too quickly, so I would end up getting another pair of trail-runners for running/hiking and using the Salomons as my daily shoe around town and at work. Granted, this was in New Hampshire, where the hiking trails are brutally rocky and can chew through treads in no-time but found La Sportiva to have a little more longevity on its tread.

So for DG use, you should be fine. If you have the Gore-tex version, you'll also really love them in the winter because you can walk through shallow snow/slush and stay dry. Also, one issue I did have with the quickdraw closure system, was the thin lacing material would rub against the outer material of the shoe and eventually wear a hole into it, but this was well after a year of heavy use.

I've got the Keen Delavegas, and they're fantastic, especially on the courses with lots of elevation in our area. I can run rounds all day, and my feet are the last thing to hurt.

Thanks, Kinsman, appreciate the write up. I went with the non-Gore TeX option so it wouldn't be so hot. I don't play much in the winter and just wear boots if i do. Figured I'd spray the waterproof on to repel the morning dew.

Well, I got my first real round in with the salomons yesterday. Being able to play 26 holes and not have sore feet is pretty great. :) I didn't know what I was missing. We'll see about the durability but the traction and comfort are unparalleled in comparison to everything else I've tried.

Different kinds of shoes can make a difference too, on days where I'm playing even 100+ holes I'll switch from hiking shoes to running shoes in the middle of the day, it keeps my feet from getting sore and puts the pressure on different parts of my feet.
I've found this to be true. I have a pair of Keens, a pair of Merrells, and a pair of fairly cheap trail running shoes, and while all of them fit me pretty well, my feet feel better if I change shoes between a 2nd & 3rd round or as I rotate wearing them over several single rounds during the course of a week.

My feet ache more quickly when I wear the same pair of shoes for several consecutive rounds. If you plan to play several rounds in a day, a fresh pair of socks and shoes can make a big difference.

I need a summer/dry season alternative to my Moabs, but have no idea what to get. I guess basically any trail running shoe?

I like trail running shoes because their pretty light, breathe well, and have fairly rugged soles designed to work well in a variety of terrain and conditions.

Latest posts