• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Underground or Big Time?

Disc Golf big time or down low?

• Hope it remains grass roots and underground

Votes: 87 42.4%
  • Wanna it to blow up and become big time

Votes: 92 44.9%
  • I don't care it does not affect me

Votes: 26 12.7%

• Total voters
There is not one thing that comes to mind as being better after blowing up. Granted I am that guy that doesn't like bands last albums;)

I don't know about the people who want to keep it underground, but I'm ready for this sport to get the respect it deserves. I'd like to see the pros start making some "real" dough while Kenny Climo is still alive. Just a matter of time...

"God never said that the journey would be easy. But he did say that the arrival would be worth while."
-Max Lucado

There is not one thing that comes to mind as being better after blowing up. Granted I am that guy that doesn't like bands last albums;)

More and better courses in my area would be a likely result of the sport blowing up.

More and better courses in my area would be a likely result of the sport blowing up.

That's my feeling. The more players in the sport the more courses we will have . Some pay to play courses will be real nice. Multiple 18 layouts and club house with all the things that a good ball golf course offers. You can still go to a public park course for free if that's what you want.
This is going to happen so get ready.

Okay, I can see more courses but I'd imagine they would, or should be beginner style courses if your truly trying to cater to new growth.

I guess it's blown up around here, and new courses are going up, but not in the areas that really need em.

I distinctly remember voting in this poll. I think I voted keep it underground, although the correct answer would be for it to maintain the slow steady growth its been on.

If that means more courses to play...good.
If that means more parks departments treating it like a sport instead of a recreational activity and building facilities to meet those needs...good.
If that means bigger attendance at tournaments...mostly good.
If that means higher reservation fees, and hence entry fees to play in those tournaments...not so good. Although I would hope if premier tournaments are selling out, then it would open up demand for more lower tier events with cheaper entry fees.
If that means more pay to play to help control the riff-raff factor...mostly good.
If it means big time sports corporations getting involved...well I could take it or leave it.
If it means disc golf on television...well I could take it or leave it.
If it means our public courses being overran with idiots...not so good. Although in some locales, that's not so much the future, as it is the present.

Disc golf will never blow up to be the sport that skateboarding or snowboarding has become.
Those sports have an inherent coolness factor that disc lacks completely. On top of that, the aforementioned sports had a logistical advantage. Ski hills already existed when snowboards hit the slopes. Skateboarding needs nothing other than a board and a cityscape. After those sports took off, cities and ski slopes could expend capital that had a guaranteed ROI. Disc golf requires a capital expenditure up front.

The game is close to topping out here in SE Michigan. Everyone under 30 has played, does play, or knows someone who plays. The only funny looks I get are from girls who think I am a HUGE dork for playing in leagues and tournaments. I have been playing Cass Benton for 10+ years now. This is the most notorious course in the area for crowds. However, it hasn't gotten any worse over the past 8 years....True, a lot more courses have gone in over the years that I have played. And yet, if anything, the courses have emptied dramatically. Hudson is a ghost town, now after p2p. And Kensington used to rival Cass for the crowds. Not any more...

Sorry to burst any bubbles

Patton, if you don't answer I'll tell everyone on the Internet you throw with your finger on the rim.......... But not include the over 4,450 part;)

I'm with you t stack. People act like unless we get everyone and thier mom to play we won't have any courses. If were considering the current times as low key, then we've already got over 100 courses without blowing up. The areas that draw huge crowds(urban) probally won't see new courses anyways due to available space:(

Dude's been trying to blow up and go big time for 25+ years. :doh:

Yet the horse continues to be kicked. :popcorn:

I just think it's funny that people act like they want dg to go big yet I see countless complain threads about new players, girls, kids, pot, drunks. It's like we beleive when it blows up it's only gonna be great players following ettiquite to a T. Wake up people!

Why would anyone complain about new players, girls, and kids? What are we, a cult of misogynistic old curmudgeons? I could do without the drunks and the potheads, but they're the past of disc golf, not its future.

dg will never be a tv/media sport and that ok. look at softball for example, every town/city has multiple leagues but other than friends and family no one gives a crap. however parks/rec has fields in most parks. recognition would be a great advantage by cities/park developers to allot areas for dg courses. we dont need tv, just awareness of our game.

I could do without the drunks and the potheads, but they're the past of disc golf, not its future.

we dont need tv, just awareness of our game.

Exactly.

Who ever said that blowing up means more kids, girls, druggies, and douchetards on the course? Blowing up could mean pay courses which could mean the above group decreasing in number. To me, blowing up means getting the recognition and respect that the game deserves and our pros being able to make a living playing the game. To me, blowing up means that more people outside of the game and also the people on the course take the game more seriously.

Last edited:
Patton, if you don't answer I'll tell everyone on the Internet you throw with your finger on the rim.......... But not include the over 4,450 part;)

That is funny that you bring that up. I have been thinking about posting a picture of my grip to see if anyone else in the world throws that way for any kind of distance:sick: It may just get me made fun of, though.

Until the end of October 2009 I thought that was the way everyone threw a backhand shot, LOL. Only to learn that nobody had ever thrown a backhand shot like that ever in the entire history of ever, except to putt.

dg will never be a tv/media sport and that ok. look at softball for example, every town/city has multiple leagues but other than friends and family no one gives a crap. however parks/rec has fields in most parks. recognition would be a great advantage by cities/park developers to allot areas for dg courses. we dont need tv, just awareness of our game.

I could not agree more. Disc golf is going to be very much like bowling or softball. Not necessarily big money for the pros, just much more organized at the local level. Already seeing it in Michigan. We have a website devoted to keeping track of leagues and tournaments. Kinda like facebook for disc golf. It allows players to cashless pre-reg for tourneys. Keeps track of scores for you, and league and tourney results. Has been the impetus behind a statewide league point system. That is the future of disc golf.