• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf University: Input Needed

jcassidy1990

Reptilian Disc Golf
Hey guys,
I've been working really hard to promote, sell and expand Reptilian Disc Golf in my local area. We are already moving a lot of our first run discs and as I initially stated, our goal of the "company" is to expand and grow DG in the area. Me, having a teaching degree, couldn't resist the opportunity to provide an educational outlet into this hobby that I so love.

RDG sponsors a local pro who is extremely open to giving advice. I myself tend to spend a lot of course time working with people trying to improve their form. It dawned on me that it could be beneficial for both the growth of my business and the development of players' games if I were to establish a schooling style weekly league. My question for you is what broad topics do you think would be beneficial to be the basis for the weekly lesson?

Ideas that I have brainstormed:
-bag construction and theory: discussing players bags and trying to slim down
-grips: not trying to alter players grips, just make them aware of the variety
-rollers: our sponsored player is an elite roller and could open doors for noobs
-forehanding: the art of a clean forehand (I couldn't personally do this)
-driving putters: using putters to teach form, height and spin
-PUTTING: our sponsored player is also an elite putter, this is a no brainer
-?

What other lessons do you think would be beneficial for both the newer player and the player that is looking to improve? My whole plan is for this to occur weekly at a smaller local course. Any and all input would be appreciated and noted!

Utility shots, i.e. thumbers, tomahawks, side arm rollers, turbo putts

Basic rules and courtesy is important

disc type, selection, manufacturer

Windy conditions, wet conditions

Foot work, x step, plant foot

the art of the upshot

This is a great idea! I would like to try somthing like this in my area.

RDG sponsors a local pro who is extremely open to giving advice.

Just curious, who does RDG sponsor

My suggestion: keep the bag stuff general, everyone uses something a little different. Maybe just explain the benefits of sticking with similar molds & breaking discs in.

Last edited:
In depends, in part, on the skill level and ambition of the students.

One evening before a tournament at Stoney Hill, a group of players sitting around the campfire included an accomplished pro, and an intermediate about to play his first tournament. I overheard a bit of excellent advice given by MJ, mostly about the mental game.

If the students are contemplating tournament play, or still fairly new to tournament play, they might find this kind of thing very helpful.

Utility shots, i.e. thumbers, tomahawks, side arm rollers, turbo putts

Basic rules and courtesy is important

disc type, selection, manufacturer

Windy conditions, wet conditions

Foot work, x step, plant foot

the art of the upshot

Great suggestions - I really like the 'wind conditions'. Focus on disc and throw adjustments to compensate and take advantage of the wind. Driving and putting.

Unless I missed it - I'm surprised no one has suggested 'adding distance to the drive' - isn't that the number one topic on this forum

Just curious, who does RDG sponsor

My suggestion: keep the bag stuff general, everyone uses something a little different. Maybe just explain the benefits of sticking with similar molds & breaking discs in.

We sponsor the great, Chris Gore! He's such a great role model for newer players and is always willing to help. Hell, he even thought me a lot about the game when I started.

These ideas are so great guys! Keep me coming. I really like the mental game (I could use some myself....) and the art of the upshot (that is my jam :hfive: )

Yeah, Chris is a great guy & a great golfer. He's a great ambassador for the game & RDG. Only thing I've got against him is that he beats me almost every time we play :doh:

This is a really cool idea you have. Something I have always wanted to do here in my scene but do not have the tools to pull it off is one on one video assessment of the individuals mechanics. Nothing shows a persons flaws in their swing and mechanics like giving them the ability to step outside themselves and see what they are actually doing.

With modern technology it would be easy if someone has a digital video camera to film one on one with the players then plug it into a compatible TV and show them their swing. I know from experience that what you feel like you are doing and what you are actually doing can be very different.

This does not only apply to golf. I have been filmed doing many things, surfing, skateboarding, snowboarding and in the first minute of seeing the footage I have identified a lot of things that I could work on. We did this a Snowboard Camp I participated in back in the early 2000's. it was Wendell's in Mt. Hood in Oregon. It was unreal to be able to watch yourself ride and then have a professional snowboarder there to identify things you are not doing correctly and then offer advice on how to correct it.

I know there are hurdles to this idea. access to power etc. we are fortunate here in that we have a shelter with power within 100 feet of hole 1. most parks these days do have shelters with power access.

Great suggestions - I really like the 'wind conditions'. Focus on disc and throw adjustments to compensate and take advantage of the wind. Driving and putting.

Unless I missed it - I'm surprised no one has suggested 'adding distance to the drive' - isn't that the number one topic on this forum

I think with the grip, foot work and discs selection you could be working on the "adding distance to the drive". I work with a lot of women and kids and that seems to be the easiest thing to teach. As soon as they throw with proper technique their drivers go farther. It would be nice to have an online depository for teaching disc golf. E.D.G.E doesnt have enough info and all the other stuff is pretty old. Dave Feldberg you tube videos of his clinics has a lot of good stuff in them. I think nikko did a few too.