• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golfers with the Music Biz on their resume

Old Bassman

Eagle Member
Seeing the thread by techn9cian4life about his "Going on a 2 month tour with rapper Tech N9ne" got me thinking. I wondered how many people on here might have a background or are still working in show business.

I can't remember which of the Clash DG videos it was but one of them was on a course owned by someone that used to tour with the Grateful Dead.

When I started touring in the mid '80s I did not even think of taking my discs with me. It would have been hard to find courses without the resources we have now.

My story:
Played music for a living and mixed many local bands before touring.

I toured with such bands and artists as Peaches and Herb, The SOS Band, Pure Prairie League, Charlie McClain, Keith Stegall, The Pixies, Adrian Belew, Evelyn "Champagne" King and others. (I always forget somebody when I do the list)
Also did some short tours or one offs with people such as Bootsy Collins and many others. (memory failing me now).

I worked as an audio engineer doing either front of house or monitors. Sometimes also doubling as a drum tech or bass tech.

Looking forward to hearing and sharing stories.

Last edited:
Cool thread.

I write crazy, crazy "classical" music. I started out in music towards the end of high school, listening to jam bands and Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc first, then jazz soon after. I went into undergrad as a jazz percussion major without being able to read music other than simple rhythms. For a variety of reasons I switched over to theory/composition after two years, but only really fell in love with composing after developing radial tunnel syndrome in both arms. I still miss playing a bit, and it'd certainly be nice to be able to teach drums, but composing is home for me now. Sad I'll never realize my dream of playing in a Rage Against the Machine cover band, though.

Anyway, long story short, I got into some really esoteric music during undergrad, and have continued in that vein. I listen to and appreciate the spectrum - right now on my iPod I have Medeski, Martin, and Wood, Ceephax Acid Crew, Autechre, Eric Dolphy, John Lurie, and Bach - but the stuff I write is pretty out there, abstract chamber music. Fun as hell to write/rehearse/etc, and I like that it gets me traveling a lot. I spent three years in England doing my postgraduate work, and got my PhD in December. Still feels funny to say that. Not quite comfortable with it yet.

I friggin love the Pixies. I myself have little to no musical aptitude, though. I will be a fly on the wall in this thread for sure.

^ I did the Doolittle tour with them in '89.

Maybe we should have talked about music during the Idlewild meetup as well as DG.

Last edited:
Nothing too awful fancy. I'm a stage tech for the Symphony's concert band when they play our amphitheater. 4-6 shows every summer. I'm also a gopher for the guy behind the sound board.

I was 11 in 89 and didn't get into them until high school.
They broke up before I had a chance and I really try to not support reunion shows.

Can I piggyback this thread - I promise not to drift or jack - but just putting it out there, that if there are interested musicians/producers/etc...I'm always looking for royalty free tracks for my HyzerCinema and SpinTV videos.

I look forward to reading this thread as well, I grew up playing many different instruments from a young age but I eventually dropped it in pursuit of other things (except for the occasional solo guitar session) I'm sure there are many talented people who are also disc golfers on this site alone...so if you're also inclined to contribute to professional disc golf media PM me and we'll talk!

I used to be the general manager of a radio station. I started out as a substitute dj. Another dj got ill and couldn't make the rest of his (Friday night prime time) shows so I got tapped to fill in. One thing led to another, and I became in quick succession a music director, production manager, and finally GM. I used to do a lot of interviews and/or PSA/sweeper work with some big names. Slayer, Iron Maiden, Nasum, Willie Nelson to name just a few.

I've also fronted a couple of bands, one of which was semi-professional that went nowhere and broke up years ago. Now I just play guitar (and drums and bass and piano) for myself when nobody's watching. ;)

A couple of other DGCRers I know where in the music biz: Zenbot used to dj in clubs and was in bands, Bizarbies was in Sister Machine Gun, and Radiomuted has been (and is) in some cool rock n roll bands.

I owned a music studio and worked in promoting bands back in the earlier 90s. Booked some concerts too (Nine Inch Nails being the biggest show I ever booked).

I was in a touring band in the 1990's: Truck Stop Love. We released a self titled EP and one LP "How I Spent My Summer Vacation" on Scotti Brothers Records. I do more disc golfing than playing these days.

Anyway, long story short, I got into some really esoteric music during undergrad, and have continued in that vein. I listen to and appreciate the spectrum - right now on my iPod I have Medeski, Martin, and Wood, Ceephax Acid Crew, Autechre, Eric Dolphy, John Lurie, and Bach - but the stuff I write is pretty out there, abstract chamber music. Fun as hell to write/rehearse/etc, and I like that it gets me traveling a lot. I spent three years in England doing my postgraduate work, and got my PhD in December. Still feels funny to say that. Not quite comfortable with it yet.

Love MM&W. Got to see them in Montreal a few years back at the jazz festival they have there. It was awesome.

I was in a touring band in the 1990's: Truck Stop Love. We released a self titled EP and one LP "How I Spent My Summer Vacation" on Scotti Brothers Records. I do more disc golfing than playing these days.

The Souls have a CD with the same title:
tumblr_m1gmwuNbIj1rnd0edo1_500.jpg

Pretty cool Bassman. I'm from more of "your time" and think Adrian Belew and Bootsy Collins, in particular ,are real standouts in the list. Dedication to a love like music, is usually a lifelong passion. I still dabble in a handful of instruments and hope to always do so. It is a great stress outlet. I get down to the Chicago Blues Fest every year and seem to meet some of the most incredible musicians. They all seem to have a beat or vibe to their soul, kind of like the music is really part of them. Enough waxing poetic...keep the music alive in you, man.

I have a BS in Commercial Music. I worked for Guitar Center in the Atlanta store for about 7 years, from 2001-2007. Had a blast and met an amazing array of musicians/celebrities; everyone from Tommy Chong to Victor Wooten. David Allen Coe was an interesting guy, and Scarface was a total douche! Andre 3000 was super cool, one of my favorite customers. Cool job, but crazy hours. There was not disc golf for me during those years.

Pretty cool Bassman. I'm from more of "your time" and think Adrian Belew and Bootsy Collins, in particular ,are real standouts in the list.

No joke, Bootsy is awesome.

ru4por said:
Dedication to a love like music, is usually a lifelong passion. They all seem to have a beat or vibe to their soul, kind of like the music is really part of them.

Truth.

Latest posts