• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golfers with the Music Biz on their resume

I played in a blues band, The Circuit Breakers, that toured around the south a bit in the '80s and I did pack my discs with me. That little green book I got from the PDGA was invaluable in helping find nearby courses.

FFWD some years and I'm now in Seattle playing lead gittar/singer/writer in a band called Sparkfarmer...we went thru a lot of good names to come up with that one. We released our first cd, Stereo Biplane, a couple of years ago and the next one, Thrill Ride, is in the can. You can hear us at sparkfarmer.com or facebook.com/sparkfarmer or try the ever-popular youtube.com/gettybfree site

Cheers!

Cool thread -- that must've been amazing touring with the Pixies. They're one of my all-time favorite bands.

As for me, I've been playing in bands, mostly as a drummer, since high school, done my fair share of touring the US and some of Canada, and have released a bunch of CDs, LPs, 7" EPs, though nothing anyone would be familiar with unless familiar with the indie/punk niche.

My band since around 2006 is called Dead Mechanical -- we have a new album, incidentally. Two of the three of us have kids now, so we do much less touring and playing out than we used to, but I suppose we still take it pretty seriously and can usually find people who want to put our music out, which is amazing when I really sit and consider it.

Anyway, here's a link to the new record -- I believe it is possible to stream it here, but can't check since it's blocked at work: firestartertoxicpop.bandcamp.com/album/ok-night

Last edited:
I played guitar in a band called Pseudocell that toured Michigan and Wisconsin for a few years. We got to open for some signed acts which was always fun. We recorded a few cds and had our fun, then we all got grown up jobs that required us to move away from each other. Funny how life gets in the way, but I had a blast while it lasted. I built a recording studio in my home and still record and write on my own, but I don't play live shows or tour anymore. Disc golf has pretty much replaced that part of my life that I'd consider "hobby that takes up most of my time".

I enjoy hearing about all of the experiences from others in this thread. If you're in a decent music scene, there's a lot of camaraderie and respect among musicians--just like disc golf.

I used to manage a local band, Clay, was a radio and club DJ and I filled in as the lead singer for my brother's band "Salacious Crumb and the Skank Donkeys" for one show and then got arrested afterwards thus putting an end to my short lived singing career.

I used to manage a local band, Clay, was a radio and club DJ and I filled in as the lead singer for my brother's band "Salacious Crumb and the Skank Donkeys" for one show and then got arrested afterwards thus putting an end to my short lived singing career.

That, sir, just went on my list of hilariously awesome band names (fictitious or otherwise). :thmbup: :D :D :D :D

Right on!

some of their song titles were pretty good as well

Curious George and the High Voltage Fence
Killer Smurfs From Guam (man I really hate them, they tried to kill my mom)
Judy Can't Jump (judy can't jump, judy can't crawl, poor little judy she's just a ball)
I Killed Louie the Lightening Bug
Do the Ooshma

I work setup / take down / security for various concerts around Humboldt County. It's lots of fun, and I've gotten to meet all kinds of artists. I would say Bunny Wailer was probably my favorite of all the artists that I've gotten to meet, but the story of how I ended up meeting him is not site appropriate, so if you ever meet me in person and ask nicely, I'll tell you about it.

Very cool thread. Is Gregg Barsby on here?

I'm glad to see someone mentioned this, Barsby is a drummer if I remember correctly, I've also seen him get at least 1 rap battle with Jamie Cosseboom and Dallas Allbright.

I started playing bass in '84, guitar in '87, mandolin in '94. I've played in a number of bands, from rock cover bands, a Dead tribute band, a couple of folk/old time groups, a jam band that recorded an album, and a jazz fusion band that had the most potential of any group I ever played with until somewhat predictably the guitar player fizzled in a relapse of heroin addiction. I've been writing music and lyrics for over 20 years and continue to threaten to record a "solo" album. My days of playing in serious bands are behind me, these days I just play for fun. I've also organized and promoted a few fairly large festivals.

And I also toured with the Grateful Dead for a decade...the just didn't know I was there ;):D

I was in a couple bands in high school and the years following. Nothing really went anywhere. Played the Thirsty Whale, The Gateway, Double Door, Lounge Ax, and The Metro. I wasn't very good at guitar (rhythm guitarist), better singer but everyone wanted to sign back then. I think the furthest we ever played was Milwaukee.

I was on one of those "Teen Talk" show that were popular in the early 90s for a handful of episodes. I think it was just called Teen Talk don't really remember. I did it to make a girl happy...you know how it goes. Her friend was the host, they needed someone last minute, they liked me and brought me back for a bunch of episodes. I did a few theater shows in the Chicagoland area, no major runs but real theaters, did get to perform on the mainstage at Second City for a quick stint. I also did extra work for a couple movies, nothing worth pausing to find me (The Express - football player, The Dark Knight - cop), but I got a bunch of checks. I'm on that next union gig I get, I have to join SAG, but my company got bought by Pepsico a few years back and needing a steady paycheck (and getting 2nd shift position at the time) forced me to walk away. However, on a positive note, that's when I found disc golf.

I have been working for "commercial" radio since 2000. Always been in Chicago. Started at 101.9FM the MIX as a promotion intern. Worked with every department there in different ways. I got on the air originally doing every other weekend overnights after board-opping our live New Years Eve show with the Goo Goo Dolls I believe. I don't remember. I do remember the next day I was back in the office, my program director running up to me and hugging me, and telling me to set up time to train with Roberts and I was on the 20th. I don't think I will ever forget that day. Worked there for about 8 years.

I am now at 102.3XLC in the Chicago suburbs on the weekends. Generally on 10AM to 3PM but hours varies since we don't have weekend coverage for vacations. That's where I do most of my posting...like this. This is the only creative outlet/entertainment industry thing I still do, although I have been tormenting myself with the idea of starting up a Kindie Rock band since I make a new song every other day for my son.

Love MM&W. Got to see them in Montreal a few years back at the jazz festival they have there. It was awesome.

Yeah, they are nuts. I love how they borrow from everything and anything and don't discriminate.

My old drum teacher sits in with them from time to time, which is pretty cool.

Have a favorite album? Shack-man is one of my desert island recordings, and Tonic is one of my all-time favorite jazz albums.

I sang for a few bands around the Tampa Bay Area in the 90's, and still have a little part time cover band going today. It doesn't pay any bills, but it does put disc buying money in my pockets.

As a side note - I also may or may not have sold a few drugs to members of the band Survivor back in the mid 80's....

:)

i used to run a screenprinting shop and did shirts for loads of richmond bands- mostly punk rock and metal.

i have played disc golf with members of GWAR and Avail.