• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc in the Wrong Basket Off the Tee

waterdog44

Wondering what to do for the next shot if the tee shot goes off line and goes in a basket from an adjacent hole. I was shooting off no. 18 tee at the new Princeton, TX course and I pulled it ( forehand ). The disc went right at the no. 1 basket probably 90 feet away and hit it pretty square but didn't stick. How to play next shot if it had stayed in ?

No penalty then right ?

Depends on how you look at it. In places where cardmates traditionally pay the thrower who hits an ace---often $5---they may also traditionally expect the thrower to pay the cardmates if he hits a black ace.

That can be costly in a large group; a penalty stroke, even an improper one, would be better.

Since no one else has bothered to cite the appropriate rule that addresses this, I'll add it for the sake of completeness and education.

811 Misplay
F. Types of misplay:
2. Wrong Target. The player has completed play on a target that is not the correct target for the hole being played. If no subsequent throw has been made, play continues from the resulting lie. If the target is a basket target, then the disc is above the playing surface and play proceeds according to 805.01.C. If the player has teed off on the next hole, two penalty throws are added to the score for the misplayed hole.

Since no one else has bothered to cite the appropriate rule that addresses this, I'll add it for the sake of completeness and education.

811 Misplay
F. Types of misplay:
2. Wrong Target. The player has completed play on a target that is not the correct target for the hole being played. If no subsequent throw has been made, play continues from the resulting lie. If the target is a basket target, then the disc is above the playing surface and play proceeds according to 805.01.C. If the player has teed off on the next hole, two penalty throws are added to the score for the misplayed hole.

So you can get a black ace, then tee off the next hole and card a 3.... might be an interesting strategy if the original hole was a par 5 and there's a tempting basket near the tee. It would require some degree of collusion from the rest of the card, but it's an interesting idea.

So you can get a black ace, then tee off the next hole and card a 3.... might be an interesting strategy if the original hole was a par 5 and there's a tempting basket near the tee. It would require some degree of collusion from the rest of the card, but it's an interesting idea.

And it would be grounds for disqualification if caught.

3.03 Player Misconduct
C. The following actions also violate the above standard. Players who commit one or more of these violations will not receive a warning, and will be immediately disqualified by the Tournament Director:

1. Cheating: a willful attempt to circumvent the rules of play.

If you don't end up on the new rules committee JC there is something wrong in the world. (assuming you've applied)

811 Misplay
F. Types of misplay:

I'm not sure that's the best rule to address the question, though it does tell the player the correct way to proceed.

I did not get the impression that the player thought the hole was complete. So, no need to get beyond:
805 Regulated Positions
805.01 Establishing a Position

C. If a disc first comes to rest above or below the playing surface, its position is on the playing surface directly below or above the disc.

Another hole's target is nothing special.

I'm not sure that's the best rule to address the question, though it does tell the player the correct way to proceed.

I did not get the impression that the player thought the hole was complete. So, no need to get beyond:

Another hole's target is nothing special.

How is telling the player the correct way to proceed not the best way to address his question?

I agree that another hole's target is nothing special, but the only reason it's a question is because to the rules uneducated, landing in any target can feel like it is significant. It's not really a matter of whether the player thinks the hole might be complete. It's a matter of the player thinking/expecting there is a penalty involved with landing in the wrong target. Hence the cite of the rule dealing directly with the subject showing that it is not a penalty for landing in the target, it is only a penalty if you fail to continue play.

Last edited:
How is telling the player the correct way to proceed not the best way to address his question?

I agree that another hole's target is nothing special, but the only reason it's a question is because to the rules uneducated, landing in any target can feel like it is significant. It's not really a matter of whether the player thinks the hole might be complete. It's a matter of the player thinking/expecting there is a penalty involved with landing in the wrong target. Hence the cite of the rule dealing directly with the subject showing that it is not a penalty for landing in the target, it is only a penalty if you fail to continue play.

I was just pointing out 805.01 C is the one that deals directly with it.

I was just pointing out 805.01 C is the one that deals directly with it.

Yeah. The other rule cited is for when you hole out on the wrong basket unintentionally, which did not apply to this scenario.