• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc in tree, best removal technique?

This was my first thought when I read the title of the thread. I do however carry a softball in my tourney bag. A baseball would probably work better, at least take up less space in the bag, but a softball was what I had lying around at the time.

Whats your favorite or in your opinion the best way to get a disc out of a tree? I read several mentions of carrying a baseball?

I used to carry a baseball, till I realized I can't throw it for ****! I use the Fat Max measuring tape. If it's really high up, I would get a rope and tie it around a stick and walk the rope over to the disc. If that is possible.

We have used a slingshot to get eaten discs before.

Here in Yellowstone, we have tons of downed dead trees. They are light, and we just use those to poke the discs out of the trees :)

A couple of these thrown from a couple of different directions has always worked for me.

HedgehogRockFree_450x300.jpg

Like the tape measure idea for sure... :thmbup:

I use these things called rocks, they're pretty convenient. The hockey puck is a pretty good idea though, that would mos def take less space in the bag than a baseball. My telescoping baton came in handy fishing some discs from the water's edge the other day.

Of course, nothing beats a good jousting lance, I usually make one of my minstrels carry one just in case.
Your minstrels? Don't you mean squires?

I know. It was his avatar for a while. It's just that minstrels didn't carry spears and lances and stuff.

See? That dude has a tambourine.

I know. It was his avatar for a while. It's just that minstrels didn't carry spears and lances and stuff.

See? That dude has a tambourine.

Mine do, in this economy I can't afford to hire both. I gotta have my music so...

i can't see any possible way to get up there that wouldn't involve injury. its too high to climb, and i highly doubt the canopy of branches is strong enough to support someones weight. the only real way i can see someone getting the discs out of there is with a cherry picker or a genie lift, then reaching out with a long apparatus and scooping the discs off of the platform

Well...if the branches can't hold your weight...get on up there! You will then have a host of tree material to break your fall, AND you'll get all the discs down :D
I climb for discs...but then again, I'm a rock climber...so I like that sort of thing :thmbup:

I'll share a story i put on another forum, excuse the long read but hopefully its mildy entertaining...
----------------------------------
So on Sunday i drop off my better half at the airport. On the way back going straight past the course, discs are in the car... so what the heck, decide to play a solo round.

Get to the 11th, drive is over a swampy area so I pull out the Dragon to be safe. Drive goes left.. beloved Dragon stuck in a tree about 15 metres (50 feet) high, here's the clincher directly below is the swamp, so i cant throw other discs or my golf ball at stuck disc.

Mission around, finding logs etc. to throw at Disc, majority of the time I miss, log lands in water, gotta go find a new one... process repeats and repeats, sometimes I hit the disc but its not falling.

Its now getting dark, "ok gotta try climb this tree"... toughest tree climb ever, eventually I'm now about three stories up, start shaking the branch, disc wont move, i see its wedged in a "tripod clasp" unbelievable, I'm shaking the tree so hard , wondering what's going to fall first.. me or the disc?

But its the dragon in their! Ive tried to order more and our supplier who delivers to SA is always out of stock, gotta get that dragon, eventually the disc falls.

Now I cant get down from the tree! Its quite dark and no one is around. Anyway pulled off some Jackie Chan moves and eventually get down.

Fished my disc out the swamp.
Dont bother to wipe the mud off throwing it in my bag...
walk straight to the car...
I can really HATE this game, cant wait to play again on Friday.

----------------------------------
first post!

While we talking discs in trees...
This day I had my mates rolling on the floor in laughter, throw a disc at the disc stuck in the tree, ok that ones now stuck... throw a disc at it, repeat repeat .. i think there are 5 discs you can see in this photo

Attachments

• 18948_249103910917_571090917_3944307_1991973_n.jpg
    18948_249103910917_571090917_3944307_1991973_n.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 30
I carry golf balls. Small and heavy enough to throw accurately. My buddy has a Fat Max and it works really well.

Latest posts