• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc limit?

Should there be a disc limit?

• Yes, 14 is plenty and would make things interesting

Votes: 43 23.9%
  • No way! I just bought a Fade Tourney bag

Votes: 99 55.0%
  • A limit, but not 14 - it's lame to copy ball golf

Votes: 38 21.1%

• Total voters

jimbosprint

Double Eagle Member
Should there be a limit on the number of discs used? Would it make the sport more interesting if there were a 14 disc limit like the 14 club limit in ball golf? Explain why you would limit or why you would want more? And if not 14, how many and why?

I am voting yes to start the discussion. It seems to me that 14 would be more than enough discs for a tournament. Currently I carry only nine discs, and the most I ever carried was 12. I seem to make poor disc choices when I have too many to choose from. I don't really care how many discs you bring with you when playing casually (I don't think it's an advantage), but I do think it might make tournament play more interesting.

We've had this topic brought up before actually. My stance is that it's your back, you can carry as many discs as you want.

hmm that's be interesting. I believe in the less is more but I think if someone needs two golf Mahals strapped to their back and they're using all the discs then more power to you.. me, I'm fine with my 4 discs

i agree with BD, if you wanna get tired luggin around 30 discs in a Simian bag :| go ahead...

i'll stick with the 4 drivers, 4 putters, and 2 mid range in my Chimp bag

No. Letting others carry as much as they want can be a tactical advantage. It can decrease their endurance by having to haul the weight and there is the possibility of them picking the wrong disc / being too reliant on specific discs for specific shots etc.

No limit. Ball golfers don't have to deal with the possibility of throwing their clubs into an irretrievable hazard.

Well, unless they get really angry like this guy...

That being said, I don't mind seeing specialty events like ace races where there is a disc limitation.

THere's a course here you dont need much more than a putter and a decent mid if you're decently abled to throw at. I see guys with fully loaded innova competitor bags out there. I chuckle, but it's their back and their arm.

I'd rather not put a golf rule in about it, but like scarp said, it's cool once in awhile to have something for a limit. I like the mold limitation like the ace race moreso than a number of plastic limitation.

While a limit does sound appealing to some degree, in our sport the disc is the club and the ball...

Ball golfers are allowed 14 clubs and 6 balls for a round...hmmm...that's 20.

Back up discs are required. Without turning this into a philosophical discussion (meaning, yes you can carry 30, but you only need 5) 20 seems like a good number, if there had to be one. That's a few discs at each level of putter, mids, fairways, utility, big distance and so on. But that's a really safe limit and the amount that seems to fit in the larger tourney bags anyway.

If you said 10, you'd change the game, I think.

I think, due to the 30 second rule, its fine you carry as many discs as you please. Just be sure to sort through them quickly. If you want to drag a wagon behind you so you can carry crates of 150 discs, have fun, but you only get 30 seconds to find the one you want, then I'm calling you.

Meh. Good question.

I guess no limit is where I come down.

Playing a round with one disc sure makes things simple.

It takes a highly skilled player to go play a round with thirty discs, having a working knowledge of what each does well, then using each one correctly.
Adjusting hyzer angles, nose angles, and power with many different discs, then throwing them accurately is difficult.

I say, if you want a busload of discs with you, then shine on you crazy diamond, its a free country. :thmbup:

I rarely carry more then 14, many casual rounds I carry three. Reguardless of that I can not think of one reason to limit what others carry.

If we do have a limit, it should be two less then the person that suggested it carries;)

I usually carry about 20, but some are multiple of the same mold. I have my staples along with my discs that I use for windy situations. Also, I have a few discs that I take out once every couple rounds for just one shot, like my ESP Venom. I have only thrown that disc five times this month on certain holes and every time I have parked that hole. I just like to have discs that are good for certain situations.

It does have an appealing factor to it, like a card limit to certain TCGs. Makes you focus on what works where. Overall I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

I like to have different molds at different stages of wear. I only carry 3 drivers, no mids and 1 putter. But I have multiples of each: 2 Star, 1 Pro, 1 Champion Boss; 1 Star, 1 Champion Beast; 2 Rogues; 2 DX, 1 JK 5x Aviar-x. I sometimes carry a beat DX Eagle, but other than that I only carry 11 discs. I do have a Fade Tourney bag, but I was young and just thought it looked cool lol, plus I can hold a few bottles of water in it and my shirt if it gets too hot out.

interesting idea, and as a person who usually carries 20 or more, i kinda like it. it'd force me to play smarter/with less molds.

but it'll be a cold day in hell before the PDGA adopts such an idea (don't wanna stifle disc sales after all), and as others have said, i wouldn't mind watching a competitor carry 40 if it caused them early fatigue/confusion/30 second violations.

Latest posts