• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc on roof again

timothy42b

Eagle Member
On our home course there's a bathroom building on the path to the pin and it's not unusual to land on the roof.

It's not designated OB (maybe it should be).

It is above 2 meters, which would require relief and a penalty. You can't mark directly under it. If you took relief on line of play that adds a stroke to the penalty. But that might be fair.

It is a solid object, which could mean relief behind it, but given the size of the building it's going to be near impossible to throw the next shot much nearer the hole, so that amounts to a penalty.

We've been playing it as 2 meter rule, take relief anywhere sideways no closer to the hole. But I read the rule section today and 2 meter rule is not in effect unless announced, so now I'm confused, and not sure the sideways relief is legal either.

If the 2 meter rule were not observed, then I think the drop has to be on the line of play. If I land on the roof, back up far enough to throw a decent shot over it, is that optional relief and I'm throwing 3? or throw within a meter of the building and call it 2?

On our home course there's a bathroom building on the path to the pin and it's not unusual to land on the roof.

It is above 2 meters, which would require relief and a penalty. You can't mark directly under it. If you took relief on line of play that adds a stroke to the penalty. But that might be fair.

It is a solid object, which could mean relief behind it, but given the size of the building it's going to be near impossible to throw the next shot much nearer the hole, so that amounts to a penalty.

We've been playing it as 2 meter rule, take relief anywhere sideways no closer to the hole. But I read the rule section today and 2 meter rule is not in effect unless announced, so now I'm confused, and not sure the sideways relief is legal either.

If the 2 meter rule were not observed, then I think the drop has to be on the line of play. If I land on the roof, back up far enough to throw a decent shot over it, is that optional relief and I'm throwing 3? or throw within a meter of the building and call it 2?

I would probably go with OB with a drop zone.

We have the same thing. Everyone here plays drop behind it within a meter and you're throwing 2.

Essentially Relief Area for the relief area... :)

Essentially yes, primarily because there's an overhang on the roof, it basically plays like a "drop zone" without having it actually marked out. Otherwise your only real plays are to turn around and drop your disc 3-6 feet behind you and then throw to get away from the overhang, or to lean way back and try to tomahawk it while leaning back on a downslope.

The bolded part is wrong. There is no 'extra' penalty. It's covered in Relief from Obstacles....

803.02 Relief from Obstacles
E. No penalty throw is added if optional relief is being taken following a penalty taken for a disc out-of-bounds or above two meters.

The bolded part is wrong. There is no 'extra' penalty. It's covered in Relief from Obstacles....

803.02 Relief from Obstacles

Ah, I missed that, thank you.

So whether I consider it as OB or 2 meter, I can take additional (optional) relief without additional penalty. But it has to be on line of play, unless we designate a drop zone.

My thinking was that if I throw from within 1 meter of the building there is no additional penalty, but if I take optional relief farther back (so I can throw over the roof) then I would have to add a stroke. But we don't stack penalties here. That's good, because if I throw from that close I'm pretty sure I'll need an extra shot to get near the pin.

Is there a limit if I back up on line of play? I can stand back 10 meters to make a decent shot?

We have the same thing. Everyone here plays drop behind it within a meter and you're throwing 2.

So choices seem to be treat it as an obstacle, drop within a meter and throw 2, or treat it as OB or 2 M, take a penalty and back up to where you can throw well and throw 3. Probably in this case the score will be the same.

Either way I think the way we did it last time was wrong - took the penalty for 2 M but moved laterally no closer than the pin.

Last edited:
Ah, I missed that, thank you.
It's easily missed. Even pros miss it. Check out round 2 back 9 of the 2022 Memorial. Hole 11, both Jenn Allen and Henna Blomroos end up OB, with a mando still to go around. Henna has to go first and 'apparently' wasn't aware of the rule, but Jenn was. Check out the video below and go to the 6:55 minute mark. Henna takes an awkward stance/throw and Jenn takes advantage of the rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQrajgX93uM

So whether I consider it as OB or 2 meter, I can take additional (optional) relief without additional penalty. But it has to be on line of play, unless we designate a drop zone.

My thinking was that if I throw from within 1 meter of the building there is no additional penalty, but if I take optional relief farther back (so I can throw over the roof) then I would have to add a stroke. But we don't stack penalties here. That's good, because if I throw from that close I'm pretty sure I'll need an extra shot to get near the pin.

Is there a limit if I back up on line of play? I can stand back 10 meters to make a decent shot?

No limit.

So choices seem to be treat it as an obstacle, drop within a meter and throw 2, or treat it as OB or 2 M, take a penalty and back up to where you can throw well and throw 3. Probably in this case the score will be the same.

Either way I think the way we did it last time was wrong - took the penalty for 2 M but moved laterally no closer than the pin.

If it is a bathroom, there are casual park goers possibly present. Throwing at it is an awful plan and the hole should be moved. Hit a couple picnickers, on the way to the potty and you may get to move them all (remove).

If it is a bathroom, there are casual park goers possibly present. Throwing at it is an awful plan and the hole should be moved. Hit a couple picnickers, on the way to the potty and you may get to move them all (remove).
I'm just imagining a scene out of an action flick... Where an anonymous henchman opens the door with his gun in his hands fresh off a dump ready to defend the boss and without missing a beat the protagonist whips something at him, conks him, he falls backward right back onto the toilet seat, door swinging shut in front of him.

If it is a bathroom, there are casual park goers possibly present. Throwing at it is an awful plan and the hole should be moved.

Well yeah, it's a 266 foot hole so you can bird it if you have enough arm to throw over the bathroom. There's never anybody casual on the back side. But if you throw short you're on the roof or stuck behind the wall lucky to get bogey. The pin is not visible from the tee, it's behind the bathroom.

Well yeah, it's a 266 foot hole so you can bird it if you have enough arm to throw over the bathroom. There's never anybody casual on the back side. But if you throw short you're on the roof or stuck behind the wall lucky to get bogey. The pin is not visible from the tee, it's behind the bathroom.

Oh, like that other sport that places bathrooms on the playing field, in line with play.

Is this a permanent building or a port-a-potty? I lived in a place that crammed a disc golf course in with a hole weirdly close to the ball fields, and one year the park maintenance crew just decided to park a port-a-potty there. Once we talked to the park guy and explained that we were throwing Frisbees at it, they moved it.

Oh, like that other sport that places bathrooms on the playing field, in line with play.
Tangent: I threw a roller (badly) in a tournament that rolled into a bathroom. The bathroom had not been designated O.B. since nobody thought anybody could make a throw that bad...then they met me! The card made me take a stance in a stall and try to get out; I missed the doorway coming out on my first try. I took a provisional using relief from the doorway, but my round was so bad I didn't even bother to ask the TD about it and just ate the strokes. I still don't know what the rule actually says I should have done there.

Sounds like he poo'd it..

When they said it's the "portable" they meant the basket, not the potty.

Last edited:
Sounds like he poo'd it..

When they said it's the "portable" they meant the basket, not the potty.
Oh, that bathroom was permanent. It was really close to the tee, waaayyy off to the left and the door faced away from the fairway. It took a Herculean effort to throw a shot that would be a) pathetically short and b) on an edge so that it would roll around the bathroom and through the door. I was up to the task. :|

The bathroom was ADA compliant so the opening was just flat and open, but it still took us a long time to actually look IN the bathroom for my disc. Amongst the other questionable rules interpretations that day would have been the amount of time we looked for it; it should have been declared lost. Once it was discovered in the bathroom, the rest of the card was highly entertained by forcing me to play it out of the bathroom. I at least gave somebody a laugh that day. Not me, but somebody. :|