• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Phases (or rather flip-flopping)

tgm

Par Member
Is it common to flip flop between which discs you prefer throwing or do you mostly move on to new discs? I suffer from the gadget mentality and have tried way too many discs, but I frequently find myself swapping some of the discs out for a time for one I "used to like."

Most recently, I became enamored with throwing the stalker and teebird (both great discs), and neglected some of my other regulars, like the cyclone. Last weekend I kept out the surge and threw a leopard in the bag (no big D discs) and remembered why I liked that disc too. I also threw the cyclone more and found it easier to do things with it after throwing other discs for a while.

It's really the drivers I have this problem with for the most part.

Do you perhaps get a better appreciation for a disc after removing it for a while?

At first most go through that buy everything that comes out mentality. Some never grow out of it <dgdave :)>. But ideally you want a nice clean bag with minimal overlap if any. Low # of molds allows you to really know exactly what a disc is going to do on any given shot. This isn't quite possible if you're throwing every driver known to man.

Like you said, it kind of gives you an appreciation for certain disc. Mainly because you ended up going back to it. Those disc are usually more versatile. The Cyclones are a nice versatile disc. I think you kind of realize it just in other ways. Yeah I like throwing Leopards also, but they just aren't versatile. I can do nearly everything with TL's as I can a Leopard so why carry it? Plus I can do more stuff with the TL's the Leo's can't. Versatility wins out in the end. The Leo and Stalker aren't AS versatile as some other disc. So that's why you might have went back to Cyclone, or you just done it on a whim. /shrug But, the Cyclone can really cover all the shots of both of those disc.

I do have a rep of changing my bag all the time and throwing everything. I do like to try out just about every disc that comes out, but my primary bag doesn't change too much except for my big D drivers. I don't think there's anything wrong with messing with stuff and trying it out f you are comfortable with your skills and know that there are no magic discs.

For example, my bag, except for D drivers and overstable slot, are pretty stable. I threw Teebirds for about 10 years then I found to be more comfortable with the PD, Rocs since my first day except I did throw comets all of last year but am back to rocs, and then KC Aviars for 7 years with a couple stints with the Wiz and challenger when 10x became too expensive. I've been with VPs for the past year and don't plan on removing those any time soon.

I have a tinkering mentality also, always thinking that there's something better to be done that what is currently working.

Over the past 2 years, I've moved as far past that as I can with disc golf. I've thrown a lot of new discs, but most things that I try don't make it to the bag as a staple anymore. The only real major changes that I have made in the past year was changing putters from a magic to a challenger, and replacing teebirds with strikers (other than the fact that I can't settle on a decent distance driver). Comets, leopards, and predators have been absolutely irreplaceable in my bag over the last 18-24 months (and challengers and strikers probably will join that class soon as well), and I don't see that changing anytime in the future.

Don't get me wrong, the first 2 years that I played I tried out nearly every disc that was mentioned as above average on this website...but finding out what works best for you is an absolute must so you can get to the point where you aren't changing stuff around in your bag so much.

I am a bit like DGDave in having a collector's compulsion about buying new discs. As far as what discs I might bring with me to the course on a given day, that can change a bit sometimes. But if I go to the course to try to play as low of a score as possible, my bag will mostly look the same. Like if the rain doesn't hit before I go to bed today, I plan to play a round going for a new personal best...so I will play with my top lineup. Once I start playing more with better weather, I think I will do less experimenting and stick more to my #1 bag. But between my injury and the winter, I bought alot of plastic that I couldn't throw over the past half year. And I figure I have to try out every disc I buy. We will have a tourney here in May, and I think by then I should be pretty set on my #1 bag, and just using it to get myself ready for the tourney, which should be my 2nd ever. My putter slot is currently up for grabs. My mid and long approach slots are pretty much set in stone. Right now the only driver that might be breaking into my lineup soon is the PD. But that still needs more trial time to fully earn the spot. But later this month when I'm in Clearwater, I plan to buy some Lat64 plastic, and I'll give a couple of those drivers a chance to earn a spot on the team.

I suffer from the same "gadget" mentality.

Just thinks one looks all shiny and nice in the store/online and throw it in my bag and go play. If I weren't so impatient, I would hit the soccer fields 2 blocks from my house and let em rip.

At this point, I don't have multiples of my fav disc and such a variety. I suffer from discs flying all over the place without a hint of consistency.

Trying new stuff out is part of solidifying exactly what you like. And it's good to have stuff around that'll be there for when your game progresses and you can retry it. Eventually it should settle down, I think.

I will say that discs that are heavily advocated for a long time by top notch guys here are usually inherently better molds than other stuff you'll try. Problem with the new stuff is, a lot of guys jump on the bandwagon, and then months later you find out that lots of people have gone back to their old stuff but you never hear about it.

Latest posts