• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Polishing

whridlsoncestood said:
Jeronimo said:
Frank Delicious said:
I sand my discs when I get them to get rid of that shine, a shiny disc is a slippery disc.

I do not agree. The coefficient of friction between your fingers and the disc is determined more by the plastic type than the surface finish. It's this very reason why I hate the grip pads on a Grip Line Spike, because they cause less of the disc to touch your skin which actually reduces your grip.

Jer you of all people should know this based on your shoe fetish. If you have a shoe and the treads are worn off completely do you have less or more grip on the surface you are walking on?

More.

Also doesn't a rough surface have a positive effect on the disc in the same way that dimples help the flight of a golf ball?

Golf Ball dimples are very exact. There was an episode of Mythbusters not long ago where they did clean car v. dirty car for gas mileage. Well the clean car gets better. But using very precise and identical dimples they were able to improve the cars gas mileage.

If only they had discs with these dimples that would help add speed at the beginning of the throw and add glide at the end by placing the lift on the underside of the flight plate instead of the wing.

Oh wait, Quest did this.

wdb4th said:
Golf Ball dimples are very exact. There was an episode of Mythbusters not long ago where they did clean car v. dirty car for gas mileage. Well the clean car gets better. But using very precise and identical dimples they were able to improve the cars gas mileage.

If only they had discs with these dimples that would help add speed at the beginning of the throw and add glide at the end by placing the lift on the underside of the flight plate instead of the wing.

Oh wait, Quest did this.
now if only they could make some even semi decent plastic :wink:
honestly i might even be throwing an RIDT to this day if the plastic wasnt garbage, havnt tried the Quest Premium but ive heard the flights of most molds are compromised in premium

I like the RIDT in premium, its faster for sure. I can get it to turn over but it won't crash out on an anny either. You should give it a shot. The T-bone is sick in premium too.

wdb4th said:
I like the RIDT in premium, its faster for sure. I can get it to turn over but it won't crash out on an anny either. You should give it a shot. The T-bone is sick in premium too.

I've given out T-bones to guys just learning to play and they are great discs for beginners and guys with lower power.

I use acetone to clean up my champ discs if they are really dirty and it does a nice job of making them more grippy. Just stay away from the stamp as it will remove it. Don't do this on older plastic however (CE and older), it will ruin it. I got an inked 9x Eagle and thought I would remove the ink with acetone and ended up ruining the back of the disc. :cry:

One of our local golfers runs his discs through the dish washer, either once a week or after every round, I don't remember which. He swears by it, and he has some of the cleanest plastic I've ever seen.

If you try this:

1. DO NOT USE THE HEATED DRY OPTION!

2. DO NOT USE THE HEATED DRY OPTION!!

sleepy

Frank Delicious said:
I've acetoned plenty of old discs without any problem.
Innova plastic? The acetone started to eat away at the 9x Eagle, and with CE and 10x it seems to remove the finish on the discs when they are new and leave them dull looking. I have cleaned up a lot of discs with acetone and when it comes to older Innova plastic it has never worked out well. I can post some pics of that Eagle if you'd like to see it, where the acetone touched it is all messed up looking and dimpled.

yeah I've acetones a decent amount of 9x and 10x eagles to remove ink and have never had a problem. You might be rubbing too hard.

Latest posts