• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Disc Preferences and Hand Size

SaROCaM

Double Eagle Member
How much does hand size (maybe also finger length) influence disc preferences? I'd seen some discussion on this with regard to rim width, but was wondering about other aspects of discs, like dome, bead, etc.

For example, Comets, Rocs, discs with dome/beads/depth/wide rims feel more comfortable in my hand. For others, these are uncomfortable and undesirable characteristics on discs.

For perspective: my hands are larger than average. Before really getting into disc golf I was mostly into lifting weights, so the discs I was used to handling most were 20kg/45lb weight plates (both traditional plates and the thicker rubber bumper plates.) Also prefer anything with a thicker bar/handle/grip (think axles over thin whippy weightlifting bars.)

Getting into disc golf, the discs that felt most comfortable to me were some combination of deeper, more domey, beaded. Discs that were more flat or shallow felt awkward.

For those who prefer lower profile/shallower/beadless discs, do you have smaller hands? Anyone with bigger hands feel less comfortable with these discs?

Is there any relationship between these, or any other factors? Is it simply an individual preference independent of hand size?

I prefer to throw low profile/shallow discs that are either beadless or microbeads. I tend to griplock deeper discs.

I think I have fairly average hands (just over 8" measuring from tip of pinky to to tip of thumb, with fingers splayed).

I have small hands and prefer beadless mids and putters. I feel like they are more secure when I grip them. I use Fireflies and P2s, so a deep putter doesn't bother me. I also generally like some dome on my midranges.

My girlfriend has smaller hands but putts and approaches with big bead/JK aviars. She throws both a Roc3 and MD3 and can't seem to decide between the two, but definitely prefers forehanding the MD3.

Totally anecdotal, but I think it's personal preference.

I have small hands Kids XL/XXL to adult XS/S depending on sizing from the brand and fit style. I could use a midrange with a bead, the Wasp if the mold was made in plastic other then Z as that causes the mold to lack glide. The ROC I can't due to how odd the rim feels on most except the ones with the average Shark dome to the mold, the least awkward but still awkward, a harder thing to find why I do not see using the ROC. The Comet I can use however the mold is not OS enough for wind. I also use the Archer for some shots like the backhand roller and right shots as well as odd flex lines and that has a bead near nose and a traditional midrange/putter bead. The mold I picked for true midrange use that is a midrange was a Champion Shark 3 with 2 in bag due to how the mold fits in hand, was using Stingray and then a Pro/Star Shark right before then,. I still use a Shark in Pro and Star for approach/windy day putting and the Star for driving putter slot. I also used to use a 166 gram Prostyle #2 Upshot from Lighting for Driving putter as well as the uphill/downhill putter, now is mostly just the latter unless a steeper shorter downhill shot is requiring me to use the 166 gram Prostyle #2 Upshot.

So in short no the bead does not cause issues with my vary small hands. It is the shape of the wing with the bead does. ROC is just in that spot the inner part of the knuckle gets caught in the wing, a few of the good domes have a wing less likely to do this but only 75%--80% of the time instead of 90%.

Last edited:
I prefer to throw low profile/shallow discs that are either beadless or microbeads. I tend to griplock deeper discs.

I think I have fairly average hands (just over 8" measuring from tip of pinky to to tip of thumb, with fingers splayed).

What aphilso1 said. From putters to drivers. Trespasses feel great in the hand cuz they're shallower and not so wide. Deeper discs usually result in more grip locks.

I have tiny Trump hands and the only thing I have trouble with is backhand gripping wide rim drivers. It took a lot of field work to get comfortable using a power grip on putters and comet/roc type mids but I'm fine with it now.

I have tiny Trump hands and the only thing I have trouble with is backhand gripping wide rim drivers. It took a lot of field work to get comfortable using a power grip on putters and comet/roc type mids but I'm fine with it now.

Yeah I have trouble with gripping wide rim past 12 so I do not use the 13+ speed discs, not that I should anyhow be even using the one 12 speed I use. I can use my power slant grip on putters and midrange discs being wider then putters. With putters and approach discs I have a hard time with the index/pointer finger in a power slant so that ends up ether in the wing grove should I ever use Magnet or a Hydra for a driving putter slot or on other putters on the wing side of the bead and if no bead, then index finger curved on the wing. This allows more control for the putter/approach disc, faster discs like true midrange not just putter like midrange I can use the power slant grip. I have an impossible time of 0% control with the straight finger power grip so I need to go so fast with the straight finger power grip as I am gripping very hard into the disc that I feel like I am trying to rip skin off my hands, this is why I use the power slant.

Last edited:
I prefer medium depth putters that are beadless, everything else has to be deep and the mids beaded. BH discs I prefer some dome, but FH discs with anything more than a slight dome feel terrible in the hand (my recently misplaced domey ESP Force is an exception).

I prefer medium depth putters that are beadless, everything else has to be deep and the mids beaded. BH discs I prefer some dome, but FH discs with anything more than a slight dome feel terrible in the hand (my recently misplaced domey ESP Force is an exception).

I can use many depth putters to a point, some are just odd feeling in the hand for an Aviar P&A/Big bead due to wing to nose part being sharp but could use a classic grid Aviar. The thing I need is not too much glide in putting putter or a disc like Rubber Putter I have used will blow past the basket when even putting more gentle especially if a tailwind happens, a disc like a lower shoulder/profile Wizard will have less glide then the average Wizard causing me to over putt the low Wizard profile in power, like the strictly approach label low profile Wizards of the 2000's.

Last edited:
What aphilso1 said. From putters to drivers. Trespasses feel great in the hand cuz they're shallower and not so wide. Deeper discs usually result in more grip locks.

Maybe this is why we throw a lot of the same discs :thmbup:

I went back to Trespasses this year and my distance drivers have been way more accurate as a result. I don't have that monster drive 10-20% of the time like I did with Shrykes and Ballistas, but I'm staying in the fairway way more and haven't lost noticeable distance on an average drive. I bookend with a PDx if the day is insanely windy, and a Vanish for a turnover machine. Both share that Trespass rim feel.

I have average sized hands (9" from thumb tip to pinky tip) but that has little influence on the discs I choose.

I honestly can't feel a difference between beaded and non-beaded molds, so that never gets considered.

I do prefer shallower putters for throwing though, and I don't like anything too domey.

I wear XL [short finger] to XXL [long finger] gloves. I would guess my palms are a bit bigger and my fingers a tad shorter.

That said... I prefer shallower discs for both throwing and putting with no beads or maybe a microbead. I throw up to a Ballista for rim width, but I need to really have a good grip on it.

I think part of my issue is I don't really have good grip strength... typing a lot doesn't help develop it either. :(

domey discs are disgusting all around

for fh i prefer straight rim over plus rim

bh i can throw anything

anything over speed 9 in my hand feels like i need giant hands to grip it

I don't know how I feel about this one.

I'm a pretty small person (5'6") but have large hands for my size - though I'd not say they are big hands, I guess? The only thing that bothers me really is speed 13-14 rim width discs because I just can't tuck them in my power grip comfortably. Also something about a firebird rim bothers my grip, but I could get over that if I really had to. I don't have a problem with comets or domey drivers (like a Mantis, for example). I love the feel of the predator for fh and bh though, which seems to be a small minority opinion.

I just think that we're all shaped a bit differently, and we all have feel preference. So, that's why there's so many opinions out there that are perfectly validated about what's comfortable or now.

i prefer straight rim over plus rim

this is the one truth that we can all get behind

I have very narrow long fingers. I hated throwing putters as a drive without a glove because I can't get a comfortable power grip on a putter. The thumbtrack on the rhyno (and later, the ringer gt) enabled me to comfortably drive a putter. My comfort range in wings is speed 9-13... The raptor, thrasher, and crank all feel natural with my fingertips pressed on the sharp edge of the rim instead of on the inside rim like a power grip. The nuke, however, is not as comfortable to me. It is only 2 mm thicker in the rim than a crank, but it's enough that I don't always feel like I get a tight enough grip with it

domey discs are disgusting all around

I prefer straight rim over plus rim

this is the one truth that we can all get behind

Not Quite, I can use the + rim XD but problem there is the mold in + rim flies odd or off from the Standard XD so I never got the mold.

The V tech wing I can use in ROC, Wombat, Whale, and including the Wizard which is basically a V tech Avair Big Bead where as a number of people :sick: when they hear the word V tech not knownig the Wizard is basically a V tech Aviar Big Bead.

I have a somewhat relevant hand concern. My ring finger on my right hand is permanently bent, so I tend to get hung up on deeper putters when driving. The reko is about as deep as I comfortably get.

Latest posts