• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc prices, Hucklab WTF?

Smigles

* Ace Member *
So i was on the Hucklab site to check out their Halo Polecats.

Turns out stamping their Hucklab Logo on a disc at least doubles the price. No Halo disc was on their site under 60$. Some went up as far as 120$!

So. People. Dont support this ****. There is a limit. They can only do this as long as people are actually buying at these totally ridiculous prices. Let's boycot discs over 30$, no matter what they print on it.

So i was on the Hucklab site to check out their Halo Polecats.

Turns out stamping their Hucklab Logo on a disc at least doubles the price. No Halo disc was on their site under 60$. Some went up as far as 120$!

So. People. Dont support this ****. There is a limit. They can only do this as long as people are actually buying at these totally ridiculous prices. Let's boycot discs over 30$, no matter what they print on it.

This is a weird hill to die on.

I get it. I don't blame huk or other companies like them. I blame the morons who pay $100 for a disc that cosmetically looks different. My stock discs look gorgeous in the air. Especially when squaring up trees.

I'm not exactly sure why you think there is any blame to be assigned.

Why does any disc go for high prices? What's the point of a $1500 Sexton FB? You aren't going to get the value from throwing thay disc, I imagine.

Any hobby has its higher than the rest of the market priced items. There are people who think $15 or even $10 for a disc is too high, whereas others enjoy the feeling of having a very particular disc, and don't feel any pangs about paying a higher price. As long as someone gets genuine enjoyment out of it, who am I to judge?

Now, there are certainly downsides to this, but the mere existence of higher priced custom dyed discs doesn't seem to me to be an intrinsic issue.

You guys are pretty harsh...

Disc prices are going up. Where is the cutoff? It better be waaayyy below $60. Hucklab is totally price gouging here, and I have no issue with somebody calling them out for that. Even if a bunch of n00bs are dumb enough to pay those prices, it's still price gouging.

Actually it's not since something has to be essential to price gouge with. You can price gouge milk, but not golf discs. Nobody dies if golf discs become so expensive that almost no one can afford them. We just can't frolf. Which really won't happen since making golf discs no one can afford to buy seems like a bad business model.

What Hucklab is trying to be here is the official bougie hipster golf disc and charge bougie hipster prices. I don't like it because I never wanted disc golf to be a game that could support a bougie hipster product. So I'm still kinda with Smigles on this one; I don't like this at all.

BUT...we can't ban bougie hipsters from frolf. Also pretty much most of the people on this site wouldn't pay those prices, so It's like me boycotting Bentley; I wasn't their target audience anyway so why would they care?

I'm not going to tell you to boycott Hucklab. I'm just going to roll my eyes at you if you show up at my course with a $60 thrower you bought for a stamp. :rolleyes: That's about all we can do here.

Disc prices are going up. Where is the cutoff? It better be waaayyy below $60. Hucklab is totally price gouging here, and I have no issue with somebody calling them out for that. Even if a bunch of n00bs are dumb enough to pay those prices, it's still price gouging.

Actually it's not since something has to be essential to price gouge with. You can price gouge milk, but not golf discs. Nobody dies if golf discs become so expensive that almost no one can afford them. We just can't frolf. Which really won't happen since making golf discs no one can afford to buy seems like a bad business model.

What Hucklab is trying to be here is the official bougie hipster golf disc and charge bougie hipster prices. I don't like it because I never wanted disc golf to be a game that could support a bougie hipster product. So I'm still kinda with Smigles on this one; I don't like this at all.

BUT...we can't ban bougie hipsters from frolf. Also pretty much most of the people on this site wouldn't pay those prices, so It's like me boycotting Bentley; I wasn't their target audience anyway so why would they care?

I'm not going to tell you to boycott Hucklab. I'm just going to roll my eyes at you if you show up at my course with a $60 thrower you bought for a stamp. :rolleyes: That's about all we can do here.

Lol....people will pay though. The real irony is that the thread was started by a guy buying a Halo Polecat.

I don't disagree with the point that the price is too high. But I disagree with the expectation that we are going to jump on this bandwagon and follow his charge.

There are far more worthy causes in the world to get up in arms about. This seems like a serious case of first world problems.

Looks like you can save big money on the all new PGA Tour series discs.

I thought that was a joke, but seems legit. Is this a way to get a certain market segment OUT of ball golf? What's next--woods from Innova?

But in reality, isn't this all a new player needs? I mean if anyone's rating is 800 or below, this is perfect. Even a 9 speed is a bit much if learning form from scratch.

If one is learning guitar, they typically can get one for $150. Save the 4 and 5 digit priced guitars for when your fingers have rock hard callouses on them...

If one is learning guitar, they typically can get one for $150. Save the 4 and 5 digit priced guitars for when your fingers have rock hard callouses on them...
You haven't bought a guitar is a bit, have you? Same thing is happening there. The MexiTele you could buy five years ago for $400 sells for $850. :\ Not very many companies are looking out for the $150 guitar market anymore.

You haven't bought a guitar is a bit, have you? Same thing is happening there. The MexiTele you could buy five years ago for $400 sells for $850. :\ Not very many companies are looking out for the $150 guitar market anymore.

Nope! About 10 years ago--got a beginner guitar, strap, and case for like $125 at the local guitar shop. So yeah, maybe even entry level ones have gone up a bit. :)

Never bashed it against a tree or thrown it in the water though...still works great...for what it is.

Some people here like to jump to conclusions haha.

I dont even like the hucklab design. I came across them after klicking an ad after i was just googling Halo Polecats. I throw plenty of not-hucklab Halo discs.

Yes i could print the hucklab design on them, but honestly the Ohn Scoggins Leopard 3 is such a beautie, why would you print over that design?

Anyway, the only reason i am worried about this is that if enugh people buy discs at those prices, the manufacturers might actually think that this is ok and we will see even more price increases. Looking at the reactions here, it seems that there are more of those *cough" people*cough* around than i thought.

...so It's like me boycotting Bentley; I wasn't their target audience anyway so why would they care?

Bingo. If you don't want to spend the money, that's fine. I don't either. But everyone has to decide how to spend their own money. This is a frequent topic for discussion in every hobby, not just disc golf. There will always be a luxury market for people looking for one. Some people just want the feeling of some level of exclusivity. Just because I don't want to spend that much money on a disc doesn't mean other people shouldn't. I'm fine buying my stock stamped plastic, mainly because I don't bother looking at Huck's website. Awareness feeds FOMO.

Latest posts