• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Prices Out of Control

art_vandelay

Eagle Member
I know disc prices are trending up for a bunch of reasons. Question. What's the most expensive disc you've seen at retail. I believe sextons are a bit more than "normal" but today I noticed Infinite selling Halo Terns for a cool $28. I'm wondering are we just at the beginning of disc price increases or are the manufactures getting ahead of themselves with some of these prices. I suppose Infinite could be gouging a little without researching what these are going for from other retailers.

Dunno if it's the case anymore or not, but I believe for a while third party retailers got no wholesale pricing on Innova tour series stuff.

Defeats the purpose of player fundraising if retailers are the ones profiting from the sales.

Well a sexton fb is 42.49 up here CAD that's at least $30 US. Glow envy are $28 and MJ '21 comets were $34.99 CAD.

Glad I'd amassed what I feel is a sufficient stash of plastic before Covd hit, supplies became limited, demand creased and prices climbed. I'm not saying I wouldn't spend a bit more to play, but...

Speaking solely for myself, I don't give a $#!t about having the latest and greatest, or anyone's signature disc. None of that's gonna make the game more enjoyable for me.

Glad I'd amassed what I feel is a sufficient stash of plastic before Covd hit, supplies became limited, demand creased and prices climbed. I'm not saying I wouldn't spend a bit more to play, but...

Speaking solely for myself, I don't give a $#!t about having the latest and greatest, or anyone's signature disc. None of that's gonna make the game more enjoyable for me.

My feelings are not hurt. Freebie F2 Innova Friday for me with Free disc, free shipping and under $10 for any plastic (if you and buddies pool together to buy enough discs).

Why are disc prices shooting up so much?

Well, when I read your post noting that Halo Terns cost $28 each at Infinite Discs, my first instinct was not "Geez that's expensive, but instead "Infinite Discs got a restock of Halo Terns??!! and had mine purchased before I had even read all of the messages in this thread.

I'm part of the problem.

Well, when I read your post noting that Halo Terns cost $28 each at Infinite Discs, my first instinct was not "Geez that's expensive, but instead "Infinite Discs got a restock of Halo Terns??!! and had mine purchased before I had even read all of the messages in this thread.

I'm part of the problem.

You roll like I do. I've seen people complaining about a price of an item at a certain retailer and all I can think is "wow. They have some in stock?"

Next thing you know I'm adding a couple to my shopping cart.

Inflation, cost of labor, production, shipping and raw materials are all up in 2021.

There are holes and bottlenecks in the production line from beginning to end all over, from actual raw materials all the way to disc on shelves in a retailer.

Not to mention retailers are having all sorts of labor issues as well that is driving up prices of everything. The end consumer pays for that.

So yeah, it is mostly all of that. Thankfully there is a lot of competition in the disc manufacturing business who are all competing with each other which definitely helps keep prices somewhat in check or we'd see even higher prices. Innova can only increase sales prices so high before a majority of the target consumer will simply buy a Zeus instead, and vice versus.

Thankfully I prefer old discs and have plenty of them :p

75M5KSl.png

One of the saddest things I have seen with disc prices is with discgolfcenter.com...

They were the most affordable option online. Now they will challenge the highest retail prices you will see for tour series/special edition. ($35 metallic luna)

I go to OTB for most of my plastic now. As long as they keep their prices fair and are on top of the descriptions....it's a no brainer.

You guys reminded me that I'm part of the problem too. I've been playing for a few years now and have never been a disc hoarder, but nowadays when I see discs that I throw I often just buy them because you really don't know when or if you will see discs in stock. I also buy 2 or 3 of a given mold at a time where in the past it was usually single disc purchases. If we all do this, prices are just going to go up and up. By the way the Sexton Firebird guys are just plain crazy.

One of the saddest things I have seen with disc prices is with discgolfcenter.com...

They were the most affordable option online. Now they will challenge the highest retail prices you will see for tour series/special edition. ($35 metallic luna)

I go to OTB for most of my plastic now. As long as they keep their prices fair and are on top of the descriptions....it's a no brainer.

They're selling Goldline plastic Lat64 discs for $30. I want to buy a new Fuse and the only plastic they have it in is a Goldline. Is this how much Goldline is going for everywhere or just discgolfcenter?

You guys reminded me that I'm part of the problem too. I've been playing for a few years now and have never been a disc hoarder, but nowadays when I see discs that I throw I often just buy them because you really don't know when or if you will see discs in stock. I also buy 2 or 3 of a given mold at a time where in the past it was usually single disc purchases. If we all do this, prices are just going to go up and up. By the way the Sexton Firebird guys are just plain crazy.

It's one thing to buy 3 backups, luckily I've been at that stage for a while.. My bags pretty settled. I only stock up on stuff I throw, usually... I couldn't resist a Marm-O undead Roc and I hate Rocs, I am also part of the problem. I also pick up SE gyro stuff because I don't mind an extra $5 a disc, usually double up or go three if it's coming from down in the US. If I buy 3 SE's for 30 each it's another 30 to ship. One disc is still 30 to ship up here, so I feel like I'm being thrifty!

Sexton FB guys are nuts!!!! I'm actually tempted to buy some but why? To make $15 tops?

**** man try buying pvc boxes or conduit! My wholesaler has been sold out of pvc boxes for 3/4 months.. I found a place with some mildly overpriced, they had 30, I bought 30. I'm running like 30G's in stock... I don't even blink for $10 extra for an SE, I'm still repulsed by sexton FB's and Lone howls though

Last edited:
I mostly only buy stuff I throw these days and honestly I probably have enough backups to last me longer than I'll live. Every once in a while I indulge in a disc that I don't need just because it's cool.

My latest guilty pleasure has been DX Rocs. I don't really even bag Rocs these days but I'm a sucker for a cool stamp and DX Rocs are pretty cheap so any time I find one with some sort of unusual stamp I buy it. At least it's a cheap thing to collect and when the day comes that I decide to cycle Rocs I'll have plenty.

Most of it is the crazy demand driven by hoarders, some is materials/shipping getting more expensive.

I'm still cheap as hell though. My main backhand driver is the Kahu and MST had some premium goobs for $8.69 grabbed three to replace the two I recently lost and hopefully two fly good.

I love a good stamp/pretty disc as much as the next person but I'll never get this type of collectors market we've stumbled into.

By the way the Sexton Firebird guys are just plain crazy.

I wonder how many of them had a stroke when Nate threw that '16 sexybird in the pond at Worlds?...

I was texting back and forth with a buddy when that happened and he's like "Damn, thats a tough bogey for Nate."

I responded with... "To hell with a dropped stroke, he just threw a $500 bill into the lake!"

LOL

Latest posts