• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Rack

B Still

I built this disc rack out of some 1" x 10"s and 1" dowels. I'm debating whether to stain, stain and poly, or leave it as is. The 1" x 10"s are pine and the dowels are poplar. It will be inside the house. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMAG0570.jpg
    IMAG0570.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMAG0556.jpg
    IMAG0556.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 123
Guess this was a popular project this weekend. I built this one on Saturday night. 1x8 sides and divider (divider is not screwed in so it can slide), 1x12 top shelf, 1x2 front rails, 1x3 back rails (keeps it so the discs stick out the front but don't stick out the back so that I could mount it straight to the wall). Holds about 250 I think. Didn't count.

I am leaning towards a paste wax finish or a wipe on poly. Just to keep it easy. But mine lives in my shop and doesn't need to get much prettier.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 138
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Sweet. I built a similar rack. I had spare semi gloss paint kicking around, so I painted mine. Paste wax might be a good idea, so it's somewhat cleanable.

Great job!

I have a rack of similar design. After a half dozen disc avalanches through the bottom of racks, I gave up. I need to glue a fabric sling the length off each rack.

I have a rack of similar design. After a half dozen disc avalanches through the bottom of racks, I gave up. I need to glue a fabric sling the length off each rack.

Thinking on that same "problem", I am going to cut a couple notched dividers that ride on the rails. Like bookends for Frisbees.

You definitely want to seal them, otherwise that pine is going to dry and check up. I noticed in one picture it had already started to check. Id hate to see you have to rebuild it in 2 years cause its got a huge split in it.

The sliding divider wouldn't work with them but how about sliding foam swim noodles or pipe insulation foam over the dowel rods to prevent edge denting

The sliding divider wouldn't work with them but how about sliding foam swim noodles or pipe insulation foam over the dowel rods to prevent edge denting

I would think foam or padded tape would do better since it is easier to deal with and will not add much diameter to the dowels. Plus it could be used on various types of supports that don't need to be round. Downsides would be it being basically permanent and more expensive than pool noodles.

Why wouldn't a sliding divider work now? The whole center upright/brace on mine is notched and held in place with friction. It slides back and forth.

I assumed the brace slid on the dowel rods. If the entire dowel is covered by the foam the hole on the brace would have to be much bigger to slide over the foam and would just compress the foam when tilted.

I assumed the brace slid on the dowel rods. If the entire dowel is covered by the foam the hole on the brace would have to be much bigger to slide over the foam and would just compress the foam when tilted.

There are no dowels on my rack.

Will the discs warp easily over time if there's no foam? Or are you guys just being extra careful?

Will the discs warp easily over time if there's no foam? Or are you guys just being extra careful?

I figured that the weight of the disc distributed over two spread-out points of contact would do less to the disc, over time, than resting on a single point of contact (as in a box/crate/etc.). I sure don't see how foam would change that math.

I ended up using Danish Oil so it has a nice natural wood finish. I got everything organized and even did inventory while I was at it so I know exactly what I have. The rack is holding 174 discs in the picture (the bag is holding 20). I really should start selling some of these.

Attachments

• IMAG0592.jpg
    IMAG0592.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 45

Latest posts